Best BA and OW lounge- for plane action!

Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Question Best BA and OW lounge- for plane action!

I realise that FT’ers rate airline lounges on which is best for drinks, food, seats ambience etc. but I love to watch aircraft movements.
So for me, an ideal lounge is the one where I can get great views of the runway in a comfy armchair watching aircraft (1) taking off or (2) landing or lastly (3) taxiing to the gates.
The 51st & Green Lounge at Dublin was great for runway views, and I very much enjoyed Qantas’ First/Emerald lounge at Sydney. When last at LHR T3, I spent most of my time in BA’s crowded Galleries lounge as I bagged a seat on a not very comfortable bar stool that had some half way decent views. Didn’t have access to OWE lounges at that time so there maybe better.
So which are the best BA and OW lounges to watch the planes?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The LHR T5 Gold/First lounge is excellent during easterly operations, like today, as the lounge directly overlooks the holding point for the departure runway (always 09R). On westerlies it’s pretty good when the same runway is being used for departures in the opposite direction (27L). It’s rubbish when 27L is in use for arrivals.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If you had access to Galleries at T3 you would have had access to other lounges by cabin rather than status.

As much as I dislike Manchester, there are decent views from the lounge.
spanners and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:17 am

The action isn’t exactly non-stop, but you can’t beat the GIB lounge terrace for runway views.
Jimmie76, SFU and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To me the big winner is VCE: not only do you see the planes and the view beyond, but you see them from an open air terrace with a Spritz and a ristretto in your hands.
RockyRobin and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You have highlighted the view from T3 Galleries Club, the view from the dining area of First is even better, and of course you can enjoy food and drink on the dining tables while watching 27L / 09R. I rate that 8/10.

Agree with 9/10 for Qantas Sydney, very good views, and GIB on their terrace is also very good since you can see the whole show there, including the closure of the public road.

The three terraces in LHR T5A I would give 6/10 for, though it's more apron life there. If there is a heavy at gate 17 then First gets the experience of (e.g.) a Jumbo edging ever closer to the glass.

The main AA lounges in T8 I give high marks for simply because of the Manhattan skyline as the backdrop. BOS would do well there too, except the exact seat and window arrangement means this is not as good as it could be. AA's main CLT lounge I like, at the back, a quiet spot to see things like 717s, 757s and the occasional MD.

ORD First has some good view, though not so much of the runway. AMS is also one of my favourites, more for seeing a somewhat different complexion of airlines and aircraft than Heathrow.

But of the lounges accessible to most members of this forum, I think LGW does really well, both lounges really, but particularly the First area. A good aspect, runway and apron views.
Hedwig, so3003, Oaxaca and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also a fan of the view at AMS and the MIA Flagship is good too, but JFK is better.

For backdrops SEA (although the roof structure below obstructs some apron ops) and YVR both have some impressive natural scenery.

Closer to home ABZ fits the brief if helicopters are your thing.
so3003 and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Anyonr remember the sweet little executive lounge in Guernsey on the top if the old terminal :-)

Agree MAN very good

A bit disappointed with new BA LGW ; number one lounge has the upper hand here

Not strictly one world but the lounge in Anchorage fir Alaska had great views
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:45 am

Zurich is nice and has an open terrace. Have seen gliders take off from there which was novel.
orbitmic, rossmacd and Oaxaca like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lizie
Zurich is nice and has an open terrace. Have seen gliders take off from there which was novel.
yep it’s a nice one too!
rossmacd and Lizie like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
MLA ... the La Vallette Lounge is superb, overlooking the ramp and the runway.

JER ... not a Lounge, but the upstairs public seating gives you great views.

LGW ... South FLounge, of course, with panoramic views of all the action.

LCSinTexas and Fatdickie like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Finnair's Schengen lounge above gate 22/23 at HEL has great views of aircraft movements across the airfield. but you would be best sitting on one of the bar stools rather than a "sofa" style seat
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
For backdrops SEA (although the roof structure below obstructs some apron ops) and YVR both have some impressive natural scenery.
The YVR lounge is tiny and has next to no food to speak of, but the lovely staff and fantastic views ensures I'm always excited to be there.

Steve_ZA and FeedbirdNiner like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Finnair's Schengen lounge above gate 22/23 at HEL has great views of aircraft movements across the airfield. but you would be best sitting on one of the bar stools rather than a "sofa" style seat
Was going to suggest this I had a long stay there on TLL run. Found the quiet room at the end with the comfy seats the best.
scottishpoet likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Another vote for Zurich but only the lounge at the E gates where it has the outside terrace.

As a keen photographer I don't rate any of the LHR T5 lounges as it is impossible to get a camera against the external window. Don't get me started ranting about people who refer to the outside terrace at the main terminal lounges. It is just outside of the main lounge false ceiling offering a great view of the accumulated dust on the roof supports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.