Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(Relevant to BA/OW I think?) ex-EU fares post Brexit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Relevant to BA/OW I think?) ex-EU fares post Brexit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not a matter of the passenger's nationality or residence but POINT OF SALE.
Exactly, if you go onto the BA website and buy a Stockholm to US ticket via London you will get the Swedish POS price. That will not change
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Exactly, if you go onto the BA website and buy a Stockholm to US ticket via London you will get the Swedish POS price. That will not change
This is true currently due to the EC regulation. If UK leaves the EU, BA could decide to have different fares for exEU (and other) tickets depending on whether the point of sale is the UK or EU.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
This is true currently due to the EC regulation. If UK leaves the EU, BA could decide to have different fares for exEU (and other) tickets depending on whether the point of sale is the UK or EU.
So maybe I need loads of VPNs then to pretend I am in whatever country gets me the best price?

I believe this is a function of the internet rather than EU regulation

I do not believe an American buy a ticket from a US IP address on the BA website for a flight from Stockholm to the US sees a different price than I do from Poland

If what you are saying is true, would there be anything stopping me buying tickets for BA flights from my Polish IP address at for example the Swedish POS (would still be bound by EU regulation as its a service they are providing in Europe) but for a traveller from the UK?
jerry a. laska and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC
I don’t think it will make any difference... well done at resurrecting a closed thread.
no need for the snark
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

no need for the snark
it wasn’t a snark, I think the original got closed as the question may not have been posed as the OP meant, it then got closed or moved out of BA.

Lighten up it’s Friday and I’m tucking into a late lunch in a wonderful EU OW airport lounge 😊
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Actually with the way GBP is behaving the closer Brexit looms, all those "exEU" fares are going to go seriously up in price because they'll be priced in (mostly) Euros... So the answer is yes, but not for the same reasons you thought
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
So maybe I need loads of VPNs then to pretend I am in whatever country gets me the best price?

I believe this is a function of the internet rather than EU regulation

I do not believe an American buy a ticket from a US IP address on the BA website for a flight from Stockholm to the US sees a different price than I do from Poland

If what you are saying is true, would there be anything stopping me buying tickets for BA flights from my Polish IP address at for example the Swedish POS (would still be bound by EU regulation as its a service they are providing in Europe) but for a traveller from the UK?
Of course not, but there might be other considerations such as the traveler being required to show your credit card at the airport to prevent fraud (in terms of payment, not the use of a fare that depends on a EU point of sale).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Post #3 by @hshs is correct. Also flying 'through' UK rather than 'from' removes the cost of APD (apart from a start point of INV but that's a special case)

Last edited by babats; Aug 2, 2019 at 6:52 am Reason: Additional info added
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It's not a matter of the passenger's nationality or residence but POINT OF SALE.
But some fares can already only be offered with specific points of sales. It happens with many promotional fares and is not illegal. In fact the whole point of the EU legislation that the OP is - in my view erroneously - thinking of is that precisely when a service is purchased in a given EU Member States to be "consumed" in another, the prices and conditions that apply are that of the point of sale (back to the Polish plumber being able to work in the UK under Polish conditions).

Conversely, short of imagining a given EU Member State suddenly implementing the rules that exist in a handful of controlled economies in third world countries that rates for plane tickets or hotels are different for local residents vs visitors* which would seem extraordinarily unlikely, or short of imagining some arbitrary control by the UK government which would restrict what UK residents can purchase from abroad (which is, admittedly, less extraordinarily unlikely), there should be no issue in your average Liverpool-based FTer being able to purchase a plane ticket from Istanbul, Cairo, or indeed Madrid or Prague under the local conditions.

* For the sake of comprehensiveness, MS are allowed to seek exemptions relating to territorial action - this exists when it comes to subsidised ferry pricing for residents of some Mediterranean islands visiting the mainland for instance.
jerry a. laska and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:04 am

This is the key point really.

It would appear BA could, if it wanted, vary pricing based seller domicile/residency/whatever, thus preserving lower fares for EU residents and charging fares more aligned with ex-UK fares for U.K. customers even where they want to depart ex-EU.

If they legally and technically can do this, whether they would do it is a whole other question.

As other posters have noted, the weakening of sterling will do a good job of disincentivising ex-EU flight arbitrage.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GCab
Am I right in thinking these cheaper fares only work for us currently because EU rules are that once you sell a fare in one EU country, you must make it available in any other, and that's why we can do this? So presumably the whole concept of positioning/cheaper fares could collapse once we leave, since we're basically just taking advantage of the fact that we can live in one country but use the fares from another for routes which are less in-demand and therefore cheaper than ex-UK.

Presumably, there CX or QR will be under no obligation to offer cheap ex-ARN or ex-OSL fares to Asia (say) to UK residents, post-Brexit - based on where you live and are buying the flight from, they could just presumably peg their fares to whatever BA would charge you from London and get more money from you (or, if deliberately marketing to us, at least increase them to halve the difference). Similarly, AA or Aer Lingus could charge you whatever they want for a TATL J flight ex-DUB, as there is no longer a legal obligation for them to offer the same price to UK residents as to Irish (or any other EU) ones.
This might have had some mileage to it some 20 years ago or so. There was a time where airlines did indeed operate differential fares depending on where the ticket was sold (so-called SITI/SOTO rules). We are in a different era of commercial aviation and SITI/SOTO practices have mostly disappeared (wordlwide, not just within Europe), except for a few remnants of domestic fares designed for local residents. So I would not expect any difference whatsoever on this issue post-Brexit.
brunos, orbitmic, Cymro and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for all the replies. The purpose in asking was to see if my assumptions were incorrect, so the specific responses are much appreciated and I (and maybe some others) now know more than I/we did before so thank you
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There's still quite a price difference in an xONEx OneWorld round-the-world fare depending where you buy it, and you cannot easily buy such a ticket in South Africa unless you are in ZA (for example). Travel agents are discouraged from selling them to people not in ZA, the airlines flatly won't sell you the ticket if your payment method is not in-country, and so on.

Airline price discrimination based on where you reside, not only on where you buy, is not dead.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
The EU forbids discrimination of EU citizens, hence it is illegal to charge a Swede more than a Pole for the same service/product for example. Airline prices are based on point of sale as has been pointed out, and I strongly doubt any airline today will charge a different price based on your IP address as long as your departure point is the same.

Denmark got into trouble a few years ago as many Danish businesses would charge a higher fee to use a non-Danish credit card than a locally issued one. They were taken to court, and are now required to charge the same fee for any EU/EEA issued credit card as for a local one.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:21 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Anyone in the world who has one of the credit or debit cards accepted by BA, or access to a travel agent who can book through the GDS, can buy these so-called ex-EU fares (unless their country's government forbids buying things from abroad) at the same price.

As the majority of the world is not in the EU/EEA, whether the UK is in or out should not make any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.