Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A350: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There are several other A350 threads in this forum. This wiki provides advice on the best seats on board. For the main A350 thread - with links to other data sources - see this main thread on deliveries, routes and reviews: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...iews-more.html. No First on board A350 1000 aircraft from BA for the foreseeable future.

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 351

Club World (Suites) (Business)
  • 56 seats in total, over two cabins, forward cabin with 44 seats, aft cabin with 12 seats (29” seat width, 79” lie-flat bed, 18.5” HD IFE screen from Panasonic, USB charging and wifi).
  • Toilets: 3, 1 in the forward galley area (A side), there are also 2 between the two cabins (between rows 11 and 15).
  • Club Kitchen Area: snacks, drinks and space to stretch is between the two cabins (between rows 11 and 15).
  • Bassinet areas: 1 K and 15 A K are the three bassinet choices in Club World on this aircraft. (confirmed now, image here)
General CW suite comments:
  • Couples may prefer to use the middle seat pairs as they can slide the partition to still see and talk to each other if they are not so bothered about not having a direct window(s).
  • The second mini cabin may be better for a more private feeling but likely also be last to get food.
  • The front cabin is further away from the engines so is likely quieter than the smaller rear cabin for this aspect, mid cabin may be best in this regard but worst for food (as served from both ends)
  • If door 2 is used to disembark (apparently at LHR it will always be door 2) then you’ll also be off quicker in the rear smaller cabin than those in the forward Club Suites cabin.
  • If you have to get up a lot and stretch your legs, a place near the club kitchen (rows 11 or 15) is likely best as aisles are very narrow.
Front Cabin:

Row 1:
  • A K have two windows
  • 1K is a bassinet seat
  • All seats in row 1 have storage spaces, flat surfaces used by crew and therefore potential activity by crew around seat area
  • First row to get served food.
Row 2: A K offset windows mean less than 2 full windows at seat
Row 3, 4: A K have one window only
Row 5, 6: A K offset windows mean less than 2 full windows at seat
Row 7: A K have one window only
Row 8: A K offset windows mean less than 2 full windows at seat
Row 9, 10: A K have two windows
Row 11: A K have one window only (and great views of the wing/engine) Closest to door 2 if that is used to disembark. Be aware that the overhead bin has reduced space due to emergency items that are housed here (from this trip report)

Rear (Smaller) Cabin:

Note: some FTers have noted that vibrations in the rear cabin could make sleeping harder. corporate-wage-slave, bigmerv

Row 15:
  • has a bit less length in the foot well area
  • A K have two windows
  • A K are bassinet seats
  • has storage spaces, flat surfaces and potential activity by crew around seat area
Row 16: A K have 2 full windows at seat and views of the engine. (best seats for the view so far it seems)
Row 17: A K have one window only, should be best for the sleepers as only one window and most secluded space in the Club cabin. It has views of the wing/engine.

World Traveller Plus (Economy Plus)
  • 56 seats in total, all in one cabin (18.7” seat width, 38” seat pitch, 12” HD IFE screen, USB charging and wifi).
  • Toilets: none exclusive to this cabin, need to use the WT toilets back between rows 35 and 40.
  • Bassinet seats are 20A, 20E, 20F and 20K. These seats are normally blocked, except to passengers with children under 2 years old, until T-72 to T-48 hours, when they may be available to people who ring up; or at OLCI stage at T-24 hrs. (see post here for image)
  • Moveable Armrests: rows 21 through 26 on aisle seats (row 20 bulkheads do not have moving armrests) TBC?

It appears BA has recognised the (previous) size and placement issues with the IFE boxes under the seats (in the 787/A380) and both the number of IFE boxes is lower and size (where they are needed) is thinner and less intrusive in WT+ on the A350, however, avoid seat 21E in WT+ due to the bigger IFE box that may affect leg room in that seat. Picture here (2/3 of way down that post) The IFE boxes are only under the first row of seats (so affect the foot area of the second row of pax only and are generally thin with the exception of 21E. All other WT+ rows have no IFE boxes restricting foot space. TBC.

Row 20 AB and JK are bulkhead seats and will be the most popular seats with the most legroom, no one in front of you, and only 2 seats each side compared to the middle 4 seat block. Also first row to get food choice. Picture here (last of 3 in that post). Note that A and K are bassinet seats though so may not be available to you (or may have a small person there on your flight!) Note that the bulkhead stops one from stretching out in full so taller people may actually prefer a second or further back row over the bulkhead.

Row 26 is the last row of WT+ and therefore only bulkhead behind so may be best for the recliners amongst us as they can recline without worry for the duration of the flight. The bulkhead on the JK side is very far back so no restriction on recline there at least (not sure about middle or AB sides) Last to get food choice though for this cabin.

World Traveller (Economy Section)
  • 219 seats in total, over two cabins, forward cabin with 52 seats, aft cabin with 167 seats (17.6” seat width, 31” seat pitch, 10” HD IFE screen, USB charging and wifi.
  • Toilets: 6, of which 4 are between the two cabins (between rows 35 and 40) where the majority of people will go and wait making the front of the second cabin quite the queuing area. Only two toilets are at the rear and this area will be high traffic due to the 7 cabin crew having to serve 275 people from that one rear galley!
  • Bassinet areas: Row 30 A and K, row 31 E in forward smaller cabin, row 40 E in aft larger cabin (bulkhead areas).
  • Moveable Armrests: rows 30 through 59 on all non-bulkhead seats? TBC
It appears BA has recognised the (previous) size and placement issues with the IFE boxes under the seats (in the 787/A380) and both the number of IFE boxes is lower and size (where they are needed) is thinner and less intrusive in WT on the A350. The IFE boxes are only under the first row of seats (so affect the foot area of the second row of pax only and are generally thin. All other WT rows have no IFE boxes restricting foot space. Picture here (2/3 of way down that post)

Forward cabin (rows 30 to 35) will likely be best for seat choice as a higher percentage of the best seats in addition to being the smaller cabin, plus closer to exit upon arrival.

Row 30 (AB, JK) are bulkhead seats with extra legroom compared to the middle section (from photos at least) Picture here (middle picture of that post)

31C, 31H have no seat in front of them, effectively providing unlimited leg room.

Row 31 DEF are bulkhead and bassinet seats but may not have as much legroom as the window bulkhead sections). TBC.

Row 35 ABC and HJK are almost opposite the middle section toilets and have no recline from an article as well as first hand report due to bulkhead being moved forward to ensure enough space for the toilet behind as well as exit door 3. It is reported that only ABC and HJK are affected, not DEF (TBC). In lieu of the recline in ABC and HJK, an extra 1" of seat pitch is found at these seats (so 32") but repeat NO recline. Image of seats affected here:

Original image credit: Tom Otley

Row 40 DEF is a bulkhead row with what looks like decent legroom, however, they are also bassinet seats and very close proximity to the main 4 toilets for WT+/WT cabins. Likely more protected from people encroaching on space than row 41 seats though.

Row 41 ABC and HJK are also ‘bulkhead’ seats with unlimited legroom but as they are behind the emergency exit door 3 and a common queuing area for the toilets between the two WT cabins, this will be a place where people queue and stretch reducing the potential legroom available. 41 A and K may be protected from people standing in their area but the door looks to encroach slightly on their space. Picture here (first picture of that post). There is a full window at seat 41K (and 41A is assumed but no picture of 41A yet).

Row 58 and 59 seats may be the least desirable for several reasons (last off, closest to the galley and toilets at the rear with the highest footfall area in the plane.

59B has no seat beside (no 59A) so although the last row on the plane it has a bit more room to lean/sleep/put things! (bulkhead behind so also private and can recline without issue, however, not possible to get up on the A side and get out.

Rear cabin (rows 40 to 59): seats on the window side of the ailses (ABC and HJK) benefit from marginally greater pitch than the seats located in the central block (DEF). The difference is fractional of an inch though.

Links to pictures/seat maps/screen shots much appreciated! Re: Pictures, thanks to everyone posting images in this thread so that they can be linked to in the wiki and helpful to those trying to decide where to sit. ^

Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A350: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gomac
The Wiki says 1K a bassinet seat, although looking at BAs seat map it isn’t. Which one is right?
BA's seat map (not surprisingly ). I tried to select 1K earlier this week and couldn't as it was a bassinet seat.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by AlanA
Interesting article in the Metro, not sure if this has been discussed
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/22/get-b...-10615077/amp/

essentially, there are seats in row 35 that do not recline at all, but get 32 inch seat pitch, not 31inch instead.

ok for short haul, but transatlantic? Especially if this is not mentioned at time of booking...
Thanks, good to have it confirmed at this stage before someone has to fly it long haul!....I've updated the wiki to make it even more obvious about this issue in WT front cabin.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by AlanA
Interesting article in the Metro, not sure if this has been discussed
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/22/get-b...-10615077/amp/

essentially, there are seats in row 35 that do not recline at all, but get 32 inch seat pitch, not 31inch instead.

ok for short haul, but transatlantic? Especially if this is not mentioned at time of booking...
Is it no recline or limited recline?

From the Metro article
A spokesman said: ‘Due to the layout of the cabin, a handful of World Traveller (economy) seats have limited recline. These seats offer more legroom to account for this.’
If it is limited but still reclines, I guess it means BA can still technically say all seats in long haul WT have recline.

Last edited by SHT88T; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SHT88T
Is it no recline or limited recline?
<snip>
The article has a few flaws as it first references WT+ and 8" of recline and then goes on to talk about seats in WT cabin in row 35...I appreciate your point and we'll have to wait until someone is on board and can check this themselves but I count 4 times in the article where:

Quoting from the Metro article:

are unable to be moved back.
there are six seats in row 35 where there are no recline.
some issues with passengers being unable to recline the seats
​​​​​​​
The airline has admitted that six of their seats in the dedicated World Traveller cabin do not recline.
And then classically (for BA at least) a conflicting bit of info: ​​​​​​​
A spokesman said: ‘Due to the layout of the cabin, a handful of World Traveller (economy) seats have limited recline. These seats offer more legroom to account for this.’
So at the very least by a vote of 4 to 1...no recline in my view Definitely one to have checked by an FTer when next onboard...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BotB
So at the very least by a vote of 4 to 1...no recline in my view Definitely one to have checked by an FTer when next onboard...
We do have this review already which is fairly emphatic:
Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more
BotB, george77300 and SHT88T like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We do have this review already which is fairly emphatic:
Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more
You're right of course, I had actually read that good review as well...thanks, I've updated the wiki appropriately to link to that review.

Cheers, thanks for the correction.
--
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:36 pm
AAS

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread but maybe someone knows the answer: do the armrests in Economy on BA's A350, especially aisle seats, go all the way up? I've been on some flights with KLM where the armrest only goes up to about 45 degrees and can't be stowed up and parallel with the seat back. I ask because my mother has mobility issues and getting her into economy seats without raising the armrest fully is extremely difficult.

Many thanks for any information folks can provide...
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AAS
Sorry if this isn't the correct thread but maybe someone knows the answer: do the armrests in Economy on BA's A350, especially aisle seats, go all the way up? I've been on some flights with KLM where the armrest only goes up to about 45 degrees and can't be stowed up and parallel with the seat back. I ask because my mother has mobility issues and getting her into economy seats without raising the armrest fully is extremely difficult.
In WT the arm rests can go almost (but not quite) flush into the seat. The arm rest needs to be down for take off and landing, but if it is just to enter and leave the seat there won't be a problem.

However note that the front seats of the WT cabin have fixed sides; also note that if upgrades to WTP (given the proportionately large WTP cabin and BA's selling policies) that all WTP seats have fixed sides to the seat next to it.
BotB likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:51 am

Row 16 Club World (and to some extent row 15 and 17)

I just want to put some comments on the window seats in row 16 for night-time, flat bed, services. I recently went on the Dubai to London Heathrow service, which is 7 hours long, and my report is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31484824-post809.html

Now I have no hesitation recommending the rear cabin in Club World for day flights. It is much smaller, quieter, with good access to the toilets, usual exit door, Club Kitchen. However I did notice that in flat bed mode, the seat seemed fairly noisy and prone to a strong vibration effect from the engines nearby. Rows 15 and 17 were the same (I had the cabin pretty much to myself for the whole flight, though there were 4 of us down for the cabin, 2 passengers asked to go forward for unrelated reasons).

What I think the problem is that when in flat bed mode, the seat frame and chassis are on a similar plane to the fuselage's dispersal of engine vibrations, so it's just too close. When I briefly tested row 9 this effect wasn't anything like as noticeable, and was less noticeable in 15E.

More reports would be useful, inevitably this is just from one aircraft, WBA, since though I've now flown BA's A350 five times, it's all been on the same aircraft. It may be just a feature of this machine.

By contrast, a few days later, with memories still fresh, I was in row 3 of Finnair's A350-900 to HKG, and this was far quieter, but obviously I was a lot further away from the engines here. Incidentally BA's product is vastly better than Finnair's equivalent, and indeed Cathay. I was never a fan of their A350 seats but not the gap is enormous and I will positively try to avoid CX and AY on A350s now. I actually prefer AY's older A330 fleet, at least they have air vents, and seating similar to the BA321 midhaul aircraft.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I only have the data point of a single MAD-LHR sector but my first impression was also that the A350-1000 is marginally noisier than than the -900. And that despite being in seat 9K. I am comparing it to the IB and HX A350-900’s on which i have had about 6 sectors. Further forward on both aircraft models the noise levels decrease but in all cases the -1000 appeared noisier. Just 1 sample from the single aircraft, so YMMV.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Largest foorwell in CW seats

Does 1A have the largest footwell of all seats or are they all equal except row 15? Usually bulkhead seats in this configuration have slightly larger footwell but not sure about this aircraft.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by asnovici
Does 1A have the largest footwell of all seats or are they all equal except row 15? Usually bulkhead seats in this configuration have slightly larger footwell but not sure about this aircraft.
No it's basically the same as the other seats and the space where the seat in front would be is taken up with a small cupboard (for the crew, not the occupant of the seat).
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Row 16 Club World (and to some extent row 15 and 17)

I just want to put some comments on the window seats in row 16 for night-time, flat bed, services. I recently went on the Dubai to London Heathrow service, which is 7 hours long, and my report is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31484824-post809.html

Now I have no hesitation recommending the rear cabin in Club World for day flights. It is much smaller, quieter, with good access to the toilets, usual exit door, Club Kitchen. However I did notice that in flat bed mode, the seat seemed fairly noisy and prone to a strong vibration effect from the engines nearby. Rows 15 and 17 were the same (I had the cabin pretty much to myself for the whole flight, though there were 4 of us down for the cabin, 2 passengers asked to go forward for unrelated reasons).

What I think the problem is that when in flat bed mode, the seat frame and chassis are on a similar plane to the fuselage's dispersal of engine vibrations, so it's just too close. When I briefly tested row 9 this effect wasn't anything like as noticeable, and was less noticeable in 15E.

More reports would be useful, inevitably this is just from one aircraft, WBA, since though I've now flown BA's A350 five times, it's all been on the same aircraft. It may be just a feature of this machine.

By contrast, a few days later, with memories still fresh, I was in row 3 of Finnair's A350-900 to HKG, and this was far quieter, but obviously I was a lot further away from the engines here. Incidentally BA's product is vastly better than Finnair's equivalent, and indeed Cathay. I was never a fan of their A350 seats but not the gap is enormous and I will positively try to avoid CX and AY on A350s now. I actually prefer AY's older A330 fleet, at least they have air vents, and seating similar to the BA321 midhaul aircraft.
I added a note to this effect in the Wiki and thank you, I have 16K booked for a LHR-YYZ in a month or so.

Last edited by CloudGazer; Sep 23, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:09 am

Club Suites on A350 - two questions

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there are bassinet positions at row 15 on the A350? This looks like a smaller intimate cabin to fly in but nervous it could be hellish if there are babies in there (nothing against travelling with kids by the way - I have my own!).

Also, is Toronto being operated by mixed fleet or Worldwide at the moment?

Cheers!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:12 am

Yes row 15 has bassinets at each window. A lot more about this, including photos and reviews of the seats in the main Seating Queries thread for the A350, which is in the BA Forum Dashboard.

YYZ is Mixed Fleet at the moment. There is another thread in the Dashboard listing out the MF routes.
PETER01 and WellesleyUK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.