Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At what point is an aircraft written off?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think hull loss is where the aircraft is damaged beyond repair or destroyed, and a write off is where it's no longer economic to repair or rebuild. It can be a fine distinction. As an example I had a car that was written off after it had been in a hailstorm and it looked like someone took a ball peen hammer to every panel. It drove perfectly, but was deemed uneconomic to repair; when the adjuster's damage estimate came to twice the car's book value they stopped counting and wrote it off.
And yet I know someone who had exactly the same thing in a freak hailstorm and the insurer replaced every panel on the car including the roof!

A lot of it is at the discretion of the insurer, but I guess that both BA and QF had the final say
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Some airlines want to write it off in order to replace the hull.Reason: folks who read the news don't want to fly losers BTDT
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beergander
I ask as on my recent return from Mexico we were allocated 772 G-VIIO. Obviously wanting to check whether this was a refurbished bird I googled the registration. Up popped a story about a crash at Las Vegas in 2015, assuming it was a minor knock. I didn't pay much attention and had a wonderful flight home in WTP seat 10K, loved the new IFE, btw.

Today I rechecked the plane and find out that this plane was involved in a major engine fire as it was about to take off in 09/15. All passengers were safely evacuated and no one seriously injured, however watching the intensity of the fire on a tube video (Hopefully the link works) I am utterly flabbergasted that the plane was able to re-enter service. How the wings remained intact with the obvious intensity of the fire is amazing and testament to the engineering skills of the aircraft engineers.

I'm sure all planes involved in accidents have to pass rigorous testing before re-entering service, but wondered how bad a crash has to be before a plane is written off?

Note to self.. Only to google aircraft registration number post flight

PS: Apologies to anyone of a nervous flight disposition

https://worldairlinenews.com/2015/09...n-engine-fire/

Simply put, it's up to insurance as to whether or not to write it off. It all comes down to value of the aircraft vs repair cost, just as it is with anything else (cars, home, etc). The airline, unless they want to personally foot the bill (which they wouldn't in a situation like this), has nothing to do with the decision.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:56 am

Sadly repairs don't always work. I used to fly a B747-200 for a well known Asian airline. The aircraft was involved in a tailscrape which was repaired by Boeing. I happily flew it across theSouth China sea for a while then went off to do other things. A few months after I left the rear pressure bulkhead ruptured at cruising altitude resulting in the loss of the aircraft and all passengers and crew on board. The final report blamed a faulty repair on Boeing. Of course if the tailscrape had never happened then neither would have the repair. Food for thought
mikeyfly and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by rapidex
Sadly repairs don't always work. I used to fly a B747-200 for a well known Asian airline. The aircraft was involved in a tailscrape which was repaired by Boeing. I happily flew it across theSouth China sea for a while then went off to do other things. A few months after I left the rear pressure bulkhead ruptured at cruising altitude resulting in the loss of the aircraft and all passengers and crew on board. The final report blamed a faulty repair on Boeing. Of course if the tailscrape had never happened then neither would have the repair. Food for thought
Interesting read....https://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/08/w...re-faulty.html
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Isn’t it up to the insurance company to make an evaluation of the cost of buffing out vs scrapping?

I once secured a booking of two RR Trents (one for an A380 and one for a Dreamliner) to Singapore, and the value of the cargo was higher than the value of the ship. Supposedly one of them was the new engine for Nancy Bird-Walton, but I’ve been unable to verify. Our stevedores had to take out extra insurance as their existing cover was nowhere near enough.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I don’t try to think about these things. I rely on the Flight Crew and the airline’s Engineers. I feel relaxed with BA.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Me too. And I'm on a 747 flying TATL in about 5 hours :eek
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Me too. And I'm on a 747 flying TATL in about 5 hours :eek
Most accidents occur at home. You’d be safer living in a 747 😉
LTN Phobia and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Isn’t it up to the insurance company to make an evaluation of the cost of buffing out vs scrapping?

I once secured a booking of two RR Trents (one for an A380 and one for a Dreamliner) to Singapore, and the value of the cargo was higher than the value of the ship. Supposedly one of them was the new engine for Nancy Bird-Walton, but I’ve been unable to verify. Our stevedores had to take out extra insurance as their existing cover was nowhere near enough.
Good job you weren't carrying race horses to the Melbourne cup.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:35 am

I was asked to provide a quote for moving a giraffe from Fremantle to Melbourne once, but strangely enough they decided against putting it on a ship. A former boss of mine managed to secure a booking of a whole circus on a domestic Indonesian leg once.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was asked to provide a quote for moving a giraffe from Fremantle to Melbourne once, but strangely enough they decided against putting it on a ship. A former boss of mine managed to secure a booking of a whole circus on a domestic Indonesian leg once.
Have we discovered the “Diamond Member “? 😀😀😀
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I remember at the time of the LAS fire hearing that BA didn’t want to be the ‘other’ airline that had lost x2 777 hulls.

Make of that what you like....

Last edited by crazy8534; Dec 5, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I was asked to provide a quote for moving a giraffe from Fremantle to Melbourne once
What do you do to prevent a potential head injury for them? Put it on deck with an amazingly tall cage?

What did they do in the end? Put it on on sideways on a Qantas flight that had a hole on the side because of the oxygen tank that went boom??
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:25 am

You would be amazed at what goes on freighters. I had 147 pedigree goats once. The pong was almost as bad as 100 tonnes of Durian.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.