FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Checking in and not travelling (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1981031-checking-not-travelling.html)

Ipswich1984 Jul 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Checking in and not travelling

We have booked a holiday with BA (4 adults and 2 children), one of our party might not come for personal reasons but it might be a late decision.

If if I check her in and then she doesn’t travel will this affect the rest of us and will it affect our flights coming home?
We are due to fly Sunday LHR to MIA then catching a connecting flight to ORL.

HighwayToHEL Jul 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Her return will be cancelled, for sure, but it shouldn't affect the rest of you as you'll have been confirmed as being at the airport once you go through security.

Can I help you Jul 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Why would you check them in, when you go to the airport and they are not with you they will be offloaded?

MSPeconomist Jul 31, 2019 2:00 pm

If she doesn't travel, it won't matter whether she's checked in or not. Chances are that her seat will be assigned to someone needing a seat assignment for the flight.

flatlander Jul 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Indeed, the ground staff will know not to wait because the missing member of the party will not be "Ready To Fly" by the conformance time, so she will be offloaded from the flight before the gate closes.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 31, 2019 2:07 pm

There would presumably be a big wadge of repayable APD on that fare. You can leave OLCI until 70 minutes to departure, but not much more than that, particularly if there is an API issue (not unusual). So I would probably defer OLCI to say 90 minutes to departure, and if it was clear she wasn't coming then get her to cancel if possible to perhaps get a bit of money back. If this was a BA Holidays booking then I'm not sure if taxes are refundable or on what basis, but there is no harm in cancelling anyway, nor would I expect your remaining travel to be affected. I think I did hear of one obscure case where the hotel were miffed not to get the expected number of visitors but even that was a bit of a one-off.

MIA is Terminal 3, so Positive Boarding rather than Ready to Fly, but if she isn't at the gate at the right time, the agent will see there was no PB entry and so would allocate the seat to a standby passenger, and for MIA at this time of year there would be plenty of those.

Often1 Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Although on the same PNR, every passenger has their own e-ticket. This will not affect the rest of you. If asked, it is solely for informational purposes. As a practical matter, not worth the extra key one must depress to check her in.:eek:

Ipswich1984 Jul 31, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, will give BA a call tomorrow to see where we stand with anything due back. That may get my friend to make her mind up what she’s doing.

GeezerCouple Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL (Post 31364312)
Her return will be cancelled, for sure, but it shouldn't affect the rest of you as you'll have been confirmed as being at the airport once you go through security.

I'm trying to remember when Security actually "logs" someone as being at the airport...?

GC

MSPeconomist Jul 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple (Post 31364493)
I'm trying to remember when Security actually "logs" someone as being at the airport...?

GC

Conformance at LHR would, as would showing a passport to an agent or doing anything involving a scan of personal information (boarding pass, bar coded PNR, passport, etc. or checking a bag as well as checking in and/or having a boarding pass printed), although strictly speaking much of this is BA rather than "security."

GeezerCouple Jul 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31364503)
Conformance at LHR would, as would showing a passport to an agent or doing anything involving a scan of personal information (boarding pass, bar coded PNR, passport, etc. or checking a bag as well as checking in and/or having a boarding pass printed), although strictly speaking much of this is BA rather than "security."

Okay. Thanks.
I haven't noticed any actual "scanning"/etc. AT Security, but that's also not at LHR. Our recent visits there have been connections, so no "security" for us there anyway.

GC

BingBongBoy Jul 31, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple (Post 31364874)
Okay. Thanks.
I haven't noticed any actual "scanning"/etc. AT Security, but that's also not at LHR. Our recent visits there have been connections, so no "security" for us there anyway.

GC

Your BP is scanned before you enter the security queues at LHR, by a security (of it is border type person?) at an automated gate. After that you go through a baffle screen and join one of the queues for a security scanner.

speedbuslhr Jul 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 31364350)
Indeed, the ground staff will know not to wait because the missing member of the party will not be "Ready To Fly" by the conformance time, so she will be offloaded from the flight before the gate closes.

If part of a family party it is highly unlikely that she will be offloaded as ground staff will think she tail-gaited or a scanner didn’t work to mark her as airside. You MUST tell a member of staff landside to make sure she is offloaded.

orbitmic Jul 31, 2019 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ipswich1984 (Post 31364433)
Thanks for the advice, will give BA a call tomorrow to see where we stand with anything due back. That may get my friend to make her mind up what she’s doing.

it’s unlikely they’ll tell you. In my experience ba agents don’t do ‘hypothetical’ refund calculations but just process them when you know you are actually cancelling.

rapidex Aug 1, 2019 3:29 am

The check in desks will not check in a person who is not present. They need to see each person checking in.