Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If you only had 10% of pilots working which route would you save....

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

Was discussing the strike last with the Mrs as our family holiday could be impacted, she asked how will they decide which routes to operate..... Now obviously it's all down to type ratings, captains v FOs, rotas, number of crews to operate rotation etc.... However parking that for one for one minute and over simply flying it what routes would you keep on.

I'm assuming some JFK and LAX services would be on the list, maybe AMS, FRA and CDG short haul.... Got me wondering anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I imagine a selection of routes shared with AA will be the first to get the chop on long haul? Which could mean some LAX & JFK services
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's a pretty irrelevant question anyway as the amount of pilots voting to strike would be vastly different to those that actually will.

However in your example, I imagine that BA would probably aim to protect the higher yielding routes. New York is probably one to keep as you're flying into an AA hub there so connections across the US could be made up via there on AA metal if direct BA flights get cancelled. You'd think possibly South Africa would be kept and a couple in the far east?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
It's a pretty irrelevant question anyway as the amount of pilots voting to strike would be vastly different to those that actually will.

However in your example, I imagine that BA would probably aim to protect the higher yielding routes. New York is probably one to keep as you're flying into an AA hub there so connections across the US could be made up via there on AA metal if direct BA flights get cancelled. You'd think possibly South Africa would be kept and a couple in the far east?
Using the AA hub example I'm guessing some ORD flights may sur I've, though if course there's plenty AA flights on that route too.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:12 am

GLA and EDI are both hugely important. Huge amounts of Golds, GGLs etc
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:19 am
Suspended

I

​​​

I would expect the percentage of pilots actually striking to be very significantly higher than previous cabin crew strikes for a variety of reasons.

Also, pilot strikes are significantly more effectual than cabin crew strikes as BA largely already operate on standard legal minimum crew required - you generally can’t send an aircraft one or two pilots down as BA did with cabin crew. Even worse, BA are already running extremely close to the wire in resourcing for pilots - the reason the recent weather cancellations/delays were so bad was a shortage of pilots available to operate.

Pilots were specifically directed to only vote for a strike if they were prepared to follow-through and strike.

Whether it’s 60% or 70% of 90% pilots actually striking the effect will be totally catastrophic to operations - especially so for a long haul network airline in a time with low wet-lease and minimal spare other-airline capacity in high season.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
If you only had 10% of pilots working which route would you save
I'm fairly sure each of us would select the route(s) that we are flying on individually as the ones to save
T8191, luitje, george77300 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Using the AA hub example I'm guessing some ORD flights may sur I've, though if course there's plenty AA flights on that route too.
True. Agreed. I always find BA make decisions in times like these that don't really seem to make a lot of sense to the naked eye so I'm sure there'll be plenty of surprises if we get a large portion of pilots striking.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Some one in BA will already have the profit per route and possible "partners" spread sheet loaded. (I hope it is not the calamitous Intern).
They should have had the planning meetings with AA, and will be on the phone to One World folk.
After all of that, I would focus on profits in USA and keeping some presence to Sin and HKG.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
These a couple of ways a looking at it, if you are BA.

Long haul you could say "LAX, JFK, Hong Kong, Sydney, Miami have plenty of other OW options, we will cancel these and protect the routes without OW options". However these routes are were BA are likely to make the most money, and the last thing they want to do is upset the customers who fly these regularly.

Do you cut routes that have less options first? People of these routes may not be able to use a different airline even if they wanted to in the future.

For the US would there be a preference of east coast routes? As these would allow people to connect to West Coast via AA and reduce the amount of time the crews are spending at the outbound destination, require less 3rd crew for rest hence allowing you to work the crew harder over the strike period?

Short haul, I suppose you'd schedule all the A321's as these require the same number of flight crew as an A319. Then first cut domestic routes were people can get the train, then cut routes with multiple flights per day but hope the upscaling compensated for this. Then you have a similar question to the one for LH. Do you focus your short haul of major hubs where there is lots of competition? Or do you say the major european hubs will have IB, AA, CX or QR flying there that would be able to take on most of the connecting traffic then BA cover airports that have few/no OW options

I'm sure BA have a very cleaver computer somewhere working out what is best for the long term revenue.

Added to which BA may not know how many staff they will have until they turn up (or don't turn up), you don't have to tell your employer if you are in a union and you don't have to tell them if you plan of striking or not. Many people will tell BA their plans but you don't have to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I get the feeling that GLA is always one of the first to go whenever there is disruption.
AlbaGuBrath likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA
If they are in a union that voted to strike, it is unlikely that they will want to be a scab?
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Interesting point on this would be if there's sufficient long haul coverage through ow partners, would BA use longhaul aircraft on these routes.

GLA is equipped right upto A380 now as well.

This would obviously depend on the type rating of non striking pilots. But would they be able to consolidate loads onto single aircraft at peak times.

I seem to recall years ago that a 744 was used on a GLA-LHR flight due to the regular plane going tech.

Would means hi-viz would lose out on his BoB every cloud and all that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:52 am

Would be ironic if the heritage liveried domestic flights returned but for a different reason.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Originally Posted by milkyway88
These a couple of ways a looking at it, if you are BA.

Long haul you could say "LAX, JFK, Hong Kong, Sydney, Miami have plenty of other OW options, we will cancel these and protect the routes without OW options". However these routes are were BA are likely to make the most money, and the last thing they want to do is upset the customers who fly these regularly.

Do you cut routes that have less options first? People of these routes may not be able to use a different airline even if they wanted to in the future.

For the US would there be a preference of east coast routes? As these would allow people to connect to West Coast via AA and reduce the amount of time the crews are spending at the outbound destination, require less 3rd crew for rest hence allowing you to work the crew harder over the strike period?

Short haul, I suppose you'd schedule all the A321's as these require the same number of flight crew as an A319. Then first cut domestic routes were people can get the train, then cut routes with multiple flights per day but hope the upscaling compensated for this. Then you have a similar question to the one for LH. Do you focus your short haul of major hubs where there is lots of competition? Or do you say the major european hubs will have IB, AA, CX or QR flying there that would be able to take on most of the connecting traffic then BA cover airports that have few/no OW options

I'm sure BA have a very cleaver computer somewhere working out what is best for the long term revenue.

Added to which BA may not know how many staff they will have until they turn up (or don't turn up), you don't have to tell your employer if you are in a union and you don't have to tell them if you plan of striking or not. Many people will tell BA their plans but you don't have to.
BA do not use Clever Computers. As we all know, they use IT Disasters. They might put the Intern in charge of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.