Wiki Posts
Search

Bring 5 guests into the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Bring 5 guests into the lounge

Got an email from BA inviting me to bring up to 5 guests into the lounge in SIN tomorrow (1st August) for my return to SYD.

It's a bit of a weird email as it talks about my loved ones and my "holiday" when this is a trip I do pretty regularly with BA (usually with two or three days in Singapore) and so I would have thought they would have identified that this is work?

That aside, the flight is the busiest I've ever seen it with only J1 showing as for sale (in fact when my travel agent booked it they said there was no Business availability so I'm going back in PE). Does it make sense for BA to be extending extra guest privileges before such a busy flight? Or am I crediting them with too much joined up thinking?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Or am I crediting them with too much joined up thinking?
This.

I suspect it's just flying in school holidays that triggers the email.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Strange logic at a longhaul outstation

In London it makes sense as the summer means lower overall business travelers and numbers in the lounges (inc status members in economy). But at a longhaul outstation with a full J cabin, local lounge demand will be very similar to any other day.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Does it make sense for BA to be extending extra guest privileges before such a busy flight? Or am I crediting them with too much joined up thinking?

Maybe, but it's the numbers with lounge access that matter, not the number of flyers. In Heathrow, there will be many more leisure travellers and many fewer busines travellers. With an A380 and a 777 daily, BA has 585 W/Y passengers and 146 passengers who get lounge acess through class of travel.

If 25% of Y/W pax have access through status on a typical business-heavy flight, that's 146 passengers. So the lounge needs to accommodate up to 330 people over the course of the evening. Some of those will have the good sense to wander off to Qantas but let's ignore them for now, as well as the guests that the status pax can bring in, and the passengers who arrive late, focus on shopping, etc!

I suspect that, even on a route like SIN, they will sell proportionately fewer J/F seats during the summer holidays (and upgrade proportionately more). So let's say that the travellers with status in the back drop to 15%. That means that, with a full flight, there are now 81 passengers who can get into the lounge. Many of those are still travelling solo or with a status partner, so no change. Let's pretend that half of the status passengers have brought the family along, and the family don't have status. You have an extra 65 guests for 40 passengers, each of which could have brought one along anyway. So you have 65 extra slots for passengers 3, 4, and 5 - if they even exist - in no more than 40 parties meaning no extra burden on the lounge over usual levels if there is even a 50% take-up rate (which might not sound high but many people won't even have those 4th and 5th people).

So I'd say, if those assumptions hold out, that there is decent scope to accommodate guests even on a full flight. And SIN is probably an extreme example where the burden is concentrated on a status-heavy group of economy passengers with only a very small number of flights.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Very interesting point Cymro, thank you. To be honest, I had basically forgotten it was the summer holidays being somebody who spends most of his time in the Southern Hemisphere!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
aren't lounges in SIN pre-security? can you bring people in not flying?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by W213Sal
Pre-security but post emigration so in the fly only area
W213Sal likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by W213Sal
the guests would always need to have a bp for a BA/oneworld flight.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Update: Lounge is mostly empty!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by KARFA

the guests would always need to have a bp for a BA/oneworld flight.
Not quite @KARFA :-)

Whilst we will make every endeavour to accommodate your guests, additional lounge access is subject to capacity and limited to a maximum of five additional guests travelling with you on the same flight(in addition to any partner card access).
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by BAEC
Not quite @KARFA :-)

Whilst we will make every endeavour to accommodate your guests, additional lounge access is subject to capacity and limited to a maximum of five additional guests travelling with you on the same flight(in addition to any partner card access).
it was just a general comment. If you want to take 2 it’s any oneworld flight and if you want to take 5 it’s same flight.
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA

it was just a general comment. If you want to take 2 it’s any oneworld flight and if you want to take 5 it’s same flight.
I’ve been wondering about this. The general benefits page on BA.com seems to have replaced the two guests benefit (any flight) with the 5 guests benefit (same flight).

Have we had confirmation that the two guests benefit still exists? Always useful to have to hand just in case.

Also, any views on whether they can be combined? Not uncommon to have a mix e.g 3 guests same flight and 2 on different flights.

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by woglet86

I’ve been wondering about this. The general benefits page on BA.com seems to have replaced the two guests benefit (any flight) with the 5 guests benefit (same flight).

Have we had confirmation that the two guests benefit still exists? Always useful to have to hand just in case.

Also, any views on whether they can be combined? Not uncommon to have a mix e.g 3 guests same flight and 2 on different flights.

Thanks
Which link is this? I thought Golds could only ever bring one guest?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by woglet86

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits

Whenever you’re travelling with British Airways, either for business or leisure, you can invite up to five guests to join you in our relaxing departure lounges (excluding the Concorde room).
To be fair it just says you can bring up to five guests which covers the old two and the new five. The old rule of two guests on oneworld flights in to a BA lounge still exists as far as I have seen.

Not sure about that combination.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks - just called GGL they said the opposite of what I was expecting. That the five guests entitlement isn’t in the lounge access guide at all (so refer to the email comms if required I suppose) but does still refer to the long-standing one additional guest benefit. Seems a little odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.