Search

BAEC gold benefits on Iberia Express

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:23 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
BAEC gold benefits on Iberia Express

I recently flew IB Express from MAD-FUE-MAD in economy. Prior to travel, I was struggling to find answers to whether I would receive full Oneworld Emerald benefits as a BAEC GCH as per a standard Iberia flight, so I thought I’d feedback here. I booked my flight on the Iberia Express website and booked a hand baggage only fare.

1) Inputting BAEC card into the system was impossible. Even after a few attempts, it would not stick. I called the help desk and even tried with Iberia when passing through Madrid airport a couple of months ago but they too failed, citing that Iberia Express uses a different system.

2) SEATING- even though the Iberia Express website states that Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire can preallocate seating, the system kept trying to charge me for seats. I wondered if this arose from the fact that my BAEC card was not registered. I therefore waited until check in. Online checkin allocated me a seat that I was then unable to change, despite there being other seats to choose from. At the airport, I was able to change my seat with the agent and also get my BA EC number inputted. My boarding pass showed my BA number and Oneworld Emerald tier level.

3) BAGGAGE AND LOUNGE- no problems getting a free checked bag despite being on a hand baggage only fare and no problems accessing the lounge.

4) For the return flight, now that my BA EC number was showing in the system, I thought I’d be able to choose seats, but alas no, same problem as in 2).

So so in summary, seating appears to be a problem, but otherwise, Emerald benefits as usual.
(Still waiting for the flight tier points and Avios to post 1 week later)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew with Iberia express as a BAEC Bronze, the booking was made via Amex, but was IB Express with an Air Nostrum connection in MAD on the outbound, and a BA return on the way back. I think it was made simpler as I was able to MMB on BA.COM as one of the flights was BA. Avios and TP credited quickly and I had my BAEC number on all the boarding passes.

Only snag was the BA lounge at Gatwick not being able to scan my business class IB express boarding pass for entry into the lounge, after much debate and checking they let me in. Now I'm Silver this situation would not arise, but other than that it was all fine, apart from IB express's poor Business class product and couldn't care less crew who hid in the galley curtain drawn after the meal service!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I've often flown the evening Iberia Express LGW-MAD and last weekend flew DUS-MAD-BHX, with the second leg on Iberia Express, booked on the Iberia website, and my Oneworld Sapphire benefits have always worked including free seat selection a few hours after booking. The Iberia Express uniforms are funkier than Iberia according to my gf!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:11 pm

Been searching everywhere and still not got a definite answer so figured best to ask here. Travelling lgw to madrid on Iberia express with and IB issued ticket. As a BA silver do I get access to BA lounge at Gatwick. Have found so many different threads about this but not a yes or no answer... help please!!!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes you do.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Iberia Express is a One World affiliate airline and benefits may apply.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jan 4, 2020 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:19 am

Thanks I thought so but the more I read into it and reading other comments the more I found the answer was no as it states one world member airline of which iberia express isnt... as stated above it is an affiliate not a member, so was hoping someone could answer from experience.

Last edited by Formie; Jan 4, 2020 at 6:30 am
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Is it not just easier to book Iberia Express through the Iberia website? That way you get around the website refusing to accept BAEC numbers etc.
Usually only costs a couple of quid more and saves a lot of hassle.

What Iberia won’t do however is grant free seat selection to a non status holder on the same booking which is quite poor IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Is it not just easier to book Iberia Express through the Iberia website? That way you get around the website refusing to accept BAEC numbers etc.
Usually only costs a couple of quid more and saves a lot of hassle.
Depending on the route it's sometimes significantly cheaper to book with Express. E.g. a recent MAD-TXL flight was ~EUR 100 on Iberia but EUR30 on Iberia Express. But it's also sometimes pretty much the same price. Always worth checking.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cameramaker

What Iberia won’t do however is grant free seat selection to a non status holder on the same booking which is quite poor IMO.
They do, though. Air Europa doesn't.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
They do, though. Air Europa doesn't.
They didnt on my last booking with them in Nov 2018. Call centre wouldn’t either.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worked fine for me multiple times, from Jan 2018 to 2 weeks ago. Both online and by call centre. It’s also listed in their policy.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6501
Worked fine for me multiple times, from Jan 2018 to 2 weeks ago. Both online and by call centre. It’s also listed in their policy.
I too have never had any problem having others without status sit with me on IB when on the same booking. Sometimes, if you do it on the website it shows a fee (but it sometimes does for the status holder too!) but with a refresh or two it usually works fine (and may indeed be fine after selecting the seat anyway even if it had wrongly shown a fee at first, but I didn't try).
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Jed
2) SEATING- even though the Iberia Express website states that Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire can preallocate seating, the system kept trying to charge me for seats. I wondered if this arose from the fact that my BAEC card was not registered. I therefore waited until check in. Online checkin allocated me a seat that I was then unable to change, despite there being other seats to choose from. At the airport, I was able to change my seat with the agent and also get my BA EC number inputted. My boarding pass showed my BA number and Oneworld Emerald tier level
Well, to your sentiment regarding seat selection: as others have already pointed out, you're wrong regarding it. As for where you booked, I don't understand why you'd book on that Iberia Express site. The same goes to booking on the Iberia Regional (Air Nostrum) website. All the same tickets are available on the actual Iberia website.

For the sake of clarity: if you're BAEC Silver (OWS) or Gold (OWE) and fly with a ticket from Iberia (IB) or any other Oneworld carrier (e.g. BA), on a flight by Grupo Iberia, which means Iberia, Iberia Express and Iberia Regional (AKA Air Nostrum), then you have seat selection available. If the online booking management doesn't work, then it's a simple phone call to get it done. Have done it with all three Iberia airlines and never been unable to solve it by calling the customer service. And yes, also Iberia Express out of LGW.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
As for where you booked, I don't understand why you'd book on that Iberia Express site. The same goes to booking on the Iberia Regional (Air Nostrum) website.
The Iberia site is often more expensive than buying on the Iberia Express site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.