Wiki Posts
Search

Crew placing luggage over row 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Crew placing luggage over row 1

Just boarded a full flight and to my surprise, the overhead locker above row 1 was already occupied with crew bags. This is possible the worse place for crew to plonk their bags as row 1 doesn't even have under the seat storage, so I ended up putting my backpack (my only bag) over row 3.

So what's the best course of action from a FTer perspective?
a) say nothing
b) talk to the CSD and point out that crew bags placed over row 1 is really inconvenient for the reasons mentioned above
c) complain to customer service
d) something else?
Flyiboy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by mario
Just boarded a full flight and to my surprise, the overhead locker above row 1 was already occupied with crew bags. This is possible the worse place for crew to plonk their bags as row 1 doesn't even have under the seat storage, so I ended up putting my backpack (my only bag) over row 3.

a) say nothing
b) talk to the CSD and point out that crew bags placed over row 1 is really inconvenient for the reasons mentioned above
d) something else?
Its how it is.. Without being rude where do you think they should put them?

NB. I sit in row one mostly and dont have an issue but am always on early.. Mr 1D yesterday did have an issue with me in 1A sticking my bag in "his" space.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It’s not so surprising, often some crew items in the overhead bins around row one
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

NB. I sit in row one mostly and dont have an issue but am always on early.. Mr 1D yesterday did have an issue with me in 1A sticking my bag in "his" space.
In this case it doesn't matter if you are early or not. The crew will always get there first.

The flight was full and on the late stages of boarding the same crew magically found another place to stow their bags. They could have done whatever they did from the start...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

They should put them somewhere else. Row 1 has no choice but to put their bags overhead. Every other row also has the option of under the seat in front.

I'm seeing this more and more. Of course, I don't complain, and put my bag above row 2, which usually elicits huffing from that row. Then, when the plane's full and someone can't get their bag above, the offending crew member suggests above row 1 as somewhere the bag can go and they find somewhere else to put their own bag.

This is happening more and more.
ajamieson, NoY, alex67500 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
If it is clearly labelled as crew bag than I would politely ask if they could move it somewhere if possible. I’ve never had the issue to ask. Personally I think crew should put their bag around the last row of CE if the flight is not 100% full most likely that area will have free seats around those rows so less likely needed the overhead bins. Row 1 is tricky as all bags has to go up to the bin so usually more space needed in that area. Some crew does it proactively others not. I would not complain either on board or online as it can be sorted out without any issue.
pennineuk, NoY, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I used to see this a lot, but more recently crew seem to put their bags further back, presumably for this reason (likewise the big pack containing blankets, where present, is usually a few rows back).

I was momentarily annoyed last week when Mr and Mrs 1A and 1C boarding just ahead of me entirely filled the lockers above row 1 (both sides) and some of row 2 with their enormous amounts of hand luggage and hats leaving no space for my small rucksack (I was in 1F). Luggage space is a potential downside of sitting in row 1 I guess.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
A downside of row 1, then. On arrival, you may have to fight back a few rows to get your bag.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
?
I think that you kick up a stink, threaten a few people and get the captain to offer to offload the people and their bags,

Too soon?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

a) say nothing
d) something else?
an issue raised at GGL events where the response is that management have sent several reminders that this is not normal procedure and club overhead space is for the passengers, supposedly.
MSPeconomist and THO like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I hardly ever see this now, and I like to be last to board. So one other option is to forget about it, it's not a big part of frequent flyer life / don't sweat the small stuff. The other thing you can do is to leave your bag at your feet until boarding is complete, and then the crew can often shuffle things around, use the cupboard, move the pillows to the flightdeck etc. I don't get too worried if my bag is a row or two back, if it is the last one on then usually the person nearest that locker will be keen to pass your bag forward so they can get to their own items.
LCY8737 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
When I was EF, I always put my bag at the back of the Club Cabin if working at the front.

Never understood why crew insist on having their bags above row 1... used to annoy me too.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:47 pm

What’s more annoying and related to this is the aircraft that have this space marked “no stowage”. Sometimes it’s a half bin. I don’t know if BA do it, but it happens on some airlines. On these aircraft, the have permanently reduced stowage space for Row 1. At least if the crew park their bags there, it’s not all the time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I know people seem to dismiss this as unimportant, but it isn't. When you don't have space near your, then you have to wait until the corridor has emptied for you get back to your bag further back. Delaying your exit from the plane significantly.

Indeed, there is a far better advantage to have your bag in overheads in front of you versus behind you. So I've seen Y passengers stick their luggage in J overheads, rather than fight it out for space above themselves.

The crew doesn't have any such requirements, they'll be last of anyway, so in effect they are denying a speedy exit for the CE passengers.
Tocsin and MANtraveller like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I’ve been there in row 1 with crew bags in the bin on either side and they quickly move their bag with a jolly ‘saving the space for you,’

seems like a good way to stop people just dumping them in the first rows when they are sitting farther back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.