Crew placing luggage over row 1

Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:26 am

Just ask.

The easiest thing is to do simply ask, “do you mind if I put my bags in the locker above row 1 instead of the crew bags?” Trust me, the crew will do as you ask. This would avoid a confrontational and negative start to a flight. Leaving bags in the aisle or creating a drama out of a simple act of a bag in a locker above your seat really isn’t a great start to a flight. We’re not there trying to deliberately annoy you.
I personally always ask my crew to leave their bags at the back of Club for this exact reason, but there has been no official communication to crew to avoid doing this even though it may well be a common sense move.
PETER01, T8191 and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Without wishing to be in any way confrontational about this, if it's a matter of some bags going into the hold or not, it will not be crew bags going downstairs. There is no system on place for the bags recovery or collection, whereas there is for passenger bags.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Without wishing to be in any way confrontational about this, if it's a matter of some bags going into the hold or not, it will not be crew bags going downstairs. There is no system on place for the bags recovery or collection, whereas there is for passenger bags.
That we all understand. However, if there was one thing that I would beg all crew to do and that is not to clutter up the lockers in Club. These are the people who have paid usually quite a lot. It is not right that they should be put to inconvenience for crew handbags or overnight bags. Nothing makes me crosser than finding crew stuff in lockers in what is really quite a restricted space. It is easily avoidable. I have watched passengers just take the stuff out and put it on the floor. One CSM snapped where was she supposed to put it, to which the passenger told her that he neither knew not cared. I'm afraid that she threw a paddy and showed her temper. It cut ice with nobody, She is Gatwick based. Mostly they are excellent down there but I have encountered a couple of CSMs I'd rather not fly with again.
T8191, Tobias-UK, Tocsin and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I hardly ever see this now, and I like to be last to board. So one other option is to forget about it, it's not a big part of frequent flyer life / don't sweat the small stuff. The other thing you can do is to leave your bag at your feet until boarding is complete, and then the crew can often shuffle things around, use the cupboard, move the pillows to the flightdeck etc. I don't get too worried if my bag is a row or two back, if it is the last one on then usually the person nearest that locker will be keen to pass your bag forward so they can get to their own items.
I've been seeing it a lot more recently - LHR-GOT, HEL-LHR, last week alone
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:52 am

I have argued for a while that BA missed a trick when they introduced HBO fares. They jumped the wrong way making them cheaper, bringing your wheelie onboard is the new must have. HBO fares should be more expensive and limited and guarantee that your wheelie comes aboard. If bag offload are needed they should be done from the ranks that did not pay the premium to ensure that they did. The current system gives people the impression that they have an entitlement to have a bag onboard and they get miffed when their bag goes downstairs.

By the way the flight deck is not a baggage or pillow or anything else storage area.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
I would have supposed that paying CE fare would be enough to ensure your bags (properly sized) made it on board with you.
PUCCI GALORE and Tocsin like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Surely BA has a standard operating procedure for pre-takeoff that covers this situation?
Along the lines of "Ensure you leave some room for CE passengers to safely store their luggage".
Otherwise, it's just a lottery.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
Otherwise, it's just a lottery.
Er ........ yes.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:42 pm

There is no rule regarding crew not being allowed to stow their bags above any particular row as much as it may be a sensible consideration. Overhead locker space is not reserved for the person sitting underneath that locker. I also fly full fare in a club and as much as I like my luggage to be above my seat, it’s not the biggest hardship if it isn’t. The plight is no different for row 1 than for someone sitting in row 4 who has to stow their roller case above row 5 or 6.

Like I said in my earlier post, just ask the crew if there is ever an issue for you.

On a a side note, in over 14 as crew I’ve never had to offload baggage to the hold because of lack of space in the lockers and when we are stuck for space in Euro/World Traveller, it’s always the lockers in a club that have space and save bags being offloaded.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
This has happened to me several times. I find it a bit annoying to be honest but don't think I'd ever say something but rather just place my luggage near rows 2 or 3.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
On a related note, a good practice that I see some cabin crew employ is to proactively close all the CE lockers before boarding commences; this makes it less likely that someone in ET just dumps their bags there on the way down the aisle. Similarly, LH have clear signage to the effect that the front lockers are reserved for their business class customers. When I am in row 1 and board early, after having put my (small laptop) bag overhead, I always make a point of closing the locker, thus saving the space for the other passengers up front.

That said, if I do have to put my small bag above row 2 or 3, I’ve never had a problem getting someone to pass it up after landing or politely asking to squeeze through to get it myself, even when I’m in 1A or 1F.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I have argued for a while that BA missed a trick when they introduced HBO fares. They jumped the wrong way making them cheaper, bringing your wheelie onboard is the new must have. HBO fares should be more expensive and limited and guarantee that your wheelie comes aboard. If bag offload are needed they should be done from the ranks that did not pay the premium to ensure that they did. The current system gives people the impression that they have an entitlement to have a bag onboard and they get miffed when their bag goes downstairs.
No HBO fares in CE (yet), so this shouldn’t be an issue for row 1. On the more general point of your suggestion for ET, although I would be a prime candidate in willingness to pay a bit more to go guaranteed HBO, overall I’m probably in the minority. The key driver for HBO fares was reducing the headline fare on price comparison sites, so charging more is a bit of a non-starter commercially, added to which the general public wouldn’t really “get” the idea of paying more not to be allowed a checked bag.

I had had a conversation about this subject with a CC recently. I’m usually in CE, mostly row 1, but on this occasion I was in ET, and there were crew bags above the exit row seats, effectively the same problem. I asked, out of interest rather than any storage issue for me, why they were put there. The answer was, as suggested by a poster above, around ease of access. This was MF crew, she said that it was necessary to access shoes and hat for changes at the start and end of flight (on an A321, so a crew seat by the exit row). Something that obviously affects female CC particularly, and reasonable enough, though in CE, putting the crew bags at the back of the cabin (assuming that doesn’t cover an exit row...) would make sense.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HowMayIHelp
There is no rule regarding crew not being allowed to stow their bags above any particular row as much as it may be a sensible consideration. Overhead locker space is not reserved for the person sitting underneath that locker. I also fly full fare in a club and as much as I like my luggage to be above my seat, it’s not the biggest hardship if it isn’t. The plight is no different for row 1 than for someone sitting in row 4 who has to stow their roller case above row 5 or 6.

Like I said in my earlier post, just ask the crew if there is ever an issue for you.

On a a side note, in over 14 as crew I’ve never had to offload baggage to the hold because of lack of space in the lockers and when we are stuck for space in Euro/World Traveller, it’s always the lockers in a club that have space and save bags being offloaded.
I disagree with the part in bold. In row 1 you cannot put anything in front of you, so potentially you have to put 2 items above. So the plight is different and is why I never select row 1 in spite of having entitlement to select it. I have to be careful to select seats quickly after booking is made by 3rd party otherwise I am sometimes forced into row 1.
Tocsin likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:53 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
We used to prefer Row 2, with our small bags under the seats in front. But a few inconveniences such as legroom made us migrate to 1A/C.
You should offer your services to science to establish why it is that contrary to the norm of losing height in higher maturity, you are growing...

Personally I find more footspace in row 2 as I can put my feet under teh seat in front.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I disagree with the part in bold. In row 1 you cannot put anything in front of you, so potentially you have to put 2 items above. So the plight is different and is why I never select row 1 in spite of having entitlement to select it. I have to be careful to select seats quickly after booking is made by 3rd party otherwise I am sometimes forced into row 1.
A very good point. Exactly so - however the entire cabin is quite small compared with ET. Whilst you may have more space when seated, the cabin itself is small. Add to that the bins taken up with medial equipment. Safety demo equipment, and sometimes galley items - the tops of the bar and meal trollies for example, you are taking up quite an amount of space. Every Club passenger should be able to put their belongings in the overhead lockers and to do that the crew must put their stuff elsewhere. I do appreciate that on those BA A320s from LGW there is no coat locker which does make things problematic.
Tocsin and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.