Crew placing luggage over row 1

Old Jul 30, 19, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I’ve been there in row 1 with crew bags in the bin on either side and they quickly move their bag with a jolly ‘saving the space for you,’

seems like a good way to stop people just dumping them in the first rows when they are sitting farther back.
Agree. Often the attitude in which you arrive in the situation will dictate the outcome either over freed up space from crew items or space in the wardrobe for you sir...... Or not.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, Emirates Silver, SPG Plat
I've found the best approach is a much less confrontational "oh, I can't put my bags up here because there's crew bags, do you know where I can put them?".

This way you're not blaming them (whether they're at fault or not) and you're simply asking for help - in every situation they've either made space within the first few rows or put it further back and brought my bag up to me on landing. Same situation if it's not even crew bags, just other passenger bags.

Although I should add I never need to take things out of my bag on short haul so it doesn't bother me if my bag isn't within reach.
ajamieson, cjb666, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I’ve been there in row 1 with crew bags in the bin on either side and they quickly move their bag with a jolly ‘saving the space for you,’

seems like a good way to stop people just dumping them in the first rows when they are sitting farther back.
I'd assumed this was the case as it's a daily event for the crew so they would have adopted strategies to mitigate row 26 using stowage at row 1. No hand luggage no problem otherwise space is easily released by moving crew items further back.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
This happened a few weeks ago to me and I explained to the cabin crew member that I needed my bag nearby to get some work done. She put my bags in the wardrobe and then brought my laptop bag to me immediately after takeoff.

The other cabin crew member proceeded to reach over me no less than 7 times to get something out of his bag above 1C.

The flight from DUB then arrived at LHR and there was a 30 minute wait for a bus where we had to disembark via the rear via steps because the DUB gates were occupied.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hshs View Post
They should put them somewhere else. Row 1 has no choice but to put their bags overhead. Every other row also has the option of under the seat in front.
You're right. Also non emergency equipment such as 100 blankets and boring magazines do not belong above first row premium passengers who have no under seat option (and frankly unless weighed down like burros, nobody in J or F should have to store anything under the seat in front of them).

Just speak to the purser and ask him or her why the crew has chosen to eliminate your useable space and I think you may see some bags relocated. More so if you paid for J or F which I am sure they know.
T8191, Tocsin and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:45 pm

If it's that much of a concern I would remove the crew bags and move them to Row 2. Alternatively just leave them in the aisle.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62 View Post
I think that you kick up a stink, threaten a few people and get the captain to offer to offload the people and their bags,

Too soon?
Someone's going to busta your chops if the OP does that......
Soupdragon62 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Its how it is.. Without being rude where do you think they should put them?

NB. I sit in row one mostly and dont have an issue but am always on early.. Mr 1D yesterday did have an issue with me in 1A sticking my bag in "his" space.
How about a locker at the back? Or a wardrobe (if there is one)?
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ricktoronto ... that was a recent experience of ours. Row 1 overhead half full of spare in-flight magazines. Why weren’t they in a cardboard box in the hold? CC was very helpful in relocating them!

Sorry, but as an Elder DYKWIA BA Gold in Row 1, I really do expect to have my/our overhead available, as we have no other convenient option.
NoY and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Just boarded a full flight and to my surprise, the overhead locker above row 1 was already occupied with crew bags. This is possible the worse place for crew to plonk their bags as row 1 doesn't even have under the seat storage, so I ended up putting my backpack (my only bag) over row 3.

So what's the best course of action from a FTer perspective?
a) say nothing
b) talk to the CSD and point out that crew bags placed over row 1 is really inconvenient for the reasons mentioned above
c) complain to customer service
d) something else?
I suspect a certain musical artist recently mentioned on these boards may have an issue with that.... :-)
dddc likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by hshs View Post
They should put them somewhere else. Row 1 has no choice but to put their bags overhead. Every other row also has the option of under the seat in front.

I'm seeing this more and more. Of course, I don't complain, and put my bag above row 2, which usually elicits huffing from that row. Then, when the plane's full and someone can't get their bag above, the offending crew member suggests above row 1 as somewhere the bag can go and they find somewhere else to put their own bag.

This is happening more and more.
Is it just me that prefers row 2 over row 1?
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Its how it is.. Without being rude where do you think they should put them? ...
At the rear of the Club cabin?
Old Aug 1, 19, 5:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
I believe the reason crew do it is twofold: 1) convenience to reach their bags to change shoes, or get personal items. 2) I believe crew have had items stolen from their bags as well as passengers hence one reason that they like to have it near and in sight (mostly) although some of their bags may lock, perhaps not all of them.

I also believe that the older aircraft (short haul) always had more storage at the bulkhead or forward galley area, that has changed in recent years and now there is less space for crew and pax to store bags and this is another effect from that.

While I am a big row 1 fan (A or F only though as I value my knees and shoulders) and I board early for this exact reason only, I do have some sympathy towards crew given the above points but equally, the worst thing is when you bag is back at row 4 or further back as you'll not get that until the plane is empty or you create some DYKWIA moment to fight the forward swell upon arrival at the gate. Crew can be brilliant and very proactive at times and move their bags somewhere else (away from row1) or get your bag if it is further back upon landing but most of the time they are busy and forget and you are left waiting...

A friendly, calm demeanour with a smile and plenty of empathy can help go a long way to find a solution that work for everyone in this less than perfect situation.

Safe travels.
Old Aug 1, 19, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
We used to prefer Row 2, with our small bags under the seats in front. But a few inconveniences such as legroom made us migrate to 1A/C.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
No I prefer row 2 as well.
tuonopepper likes this.

Search this Thread