Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Court of Appeal session, BA v BALPA - live broadcast on YouTube, 30 July 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court of Appeal session, BA v BALPA - live broadcast on YouTube, 30 July 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
All that money I used to give Boots for Melatonin! I could have listened to these QCs instead.
DYKWIA, nancypants and budgetmiles like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Just been out for an hour, what did I miss? I see BA's man is talking again. Are we at closing arguments?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:54 am

Decisions at 10:30am tomorrow morning
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:54 am

deleted - beaten to it!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Deleted

beaten to the punch by faster fingers...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Decision at 10:30 am tomorrow
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
So, for those who listened to the hearing - which way do you think it will go?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC
I’m obviously no expert but my thought is it will go in BA’s favour.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
So, for those who listened to the hearing - which way do you think it will go?
I didn't listen (too much work) but would love to know what you thought!!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I think it could go BA's way too... For those that didn't follow it all hinges on the purpose of the sections in question, and the underlying reason for the information they require the union to give to the employer in the notification of a ballot.

My own view.... (not legally trained, so another bar-room lawyer) I would have been arguing that the actual certification (Classes of Aircraft) of the BALPA pilots, would have been the most useful information, and even while technically the Fleet is a department in BA, it could, by the nature of the job, be used to define their place of work, which is actually mandated in the relevant sections
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
I’m obviously no expert but my thought is it will go in BA’s favour.
Interesting, I am equally non-expert but I thought that BALPA's argument was stronger.

I actually found the process interesting (in contrast to the content which was predictably dull) having never seen in the inside of an appeal court before. I was surprised at the conversational nature of the arguments, having been in a few regular courts (including the SA Supreme Court) before where the lawyers and witnesses do all the talking.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It was very interesting. I thought that Lord Justice Davis was very tenacious in the way he questioned counsel about extremes in terms of the information that BA expected to be provided.

I also got the impression that the law is open to interpretation. I guess it’s how you interpret it that’s the issue.

I genuinely think that this could go either either way although I am leaning towards BA just shading it.

It it reminds me that I am on jury service in a few weeks as well 🤪
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:19 am

I think it might go BA's way too. The argument felt logical. They weren't asking for unreasonable information - their man was specific to ask that it would only be information that the union already had which would be required. E.g. it would be unreasonable to ask for internal BA department classifications if the Union didn't hold them.

The argument being that you have to go to an appropriate level. "Technician" was used at one point to show that this is a pretty wide field and categorising like that would be useless. And then "Nurse" was again used to show that the category of nurse would be appropriate within a hospital (although I think it was the BALPA chap who brought that up as a counter argument saying "you wouldn't ask us to categorise nurses" which the BA chap said "I think you would")

But - like others - I detected scepticism from the judges on BA's arguments. He was trying to infer the reason for the law and that's always a tough one.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

The decission will the streammed too by the looks of it. Just incase you have not had enought today
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Captain / First Officer are reasonable categories of employment IMHO. It's not like Unite that are balloting across the business - Cabin Crew / Check In / Baggage Handlers etc.

It is frustratingly a piece in legal trivia frankly because, at the rate of union membership and percentage support of the ballot, the extra fleet information that BA is arguing it needs would not make a single jot of difference to its contingency planning or lack thereof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.