Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most underrated BA destination

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Re BLQ, has anyone tried the new light rail shuttle from the airport to the railway station?

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jul 31, 2019 at 1:40 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
BOM - beyond the filth, chaos, noise and manic traffic it’s got amazing hotels, incredible food, great bars and clubs plus it’s a shopping paradise. Flight times not so bad and less jet lag than North America, I highly recommend doing a long weekend there.
BOM probably needs more than a long weekend to be properly appreciated. A few long weekends at different times of year (time your trips with the major local festivals, and everything is turned to 12).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by richardwft
Re BLQ, has anyone tried the shuttle from the airport to the railway station?
Yes, many years ago. But it’s just a regular city bus right, fine for a short ride - what else do you want to know?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Agreed

Originally Posted by rssfed23
Muscat - the only place I'd voluntarily choose to go on holiday in the ME
I'd agree with this. Loved it.
Surprisingly cheap too.
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pauldb

Yes, many years ago. But it’s just a regular city bus right, fine for a short ride - what else do you want to know?
Apologies, I mean the new light rail shuttle.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:14 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
When did it open ? On my trip there in February it was not open, nor do I saw any construction of it. The Bologna airport website does not mention it.
Or do you mean the regular train ? The nearest train station is 6km from the airport.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft
Apologies, I mean the new light rail shuttle.
According to their official Facebook page for the new Marconi Express, in response to a question 5 weeks ago (Monday 24 June), they are not able to give an opening date for the service, since they are waiting for the final authorisation from the Usability Committee of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport. The service is billed to take 7 minutes 20 seconds, cost 8€ (much more than the existing bus service), and a 4 minute service frequency - the latter seems too good to be true.

(Italian language).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PETER01
Not quite BA now and not sure if Loganair who now fly the route do BA codeshares on this route as part of a longer itinerary, but almost 20 years ago I used to fly to Stornoway to see friends in these BA logo birds and did 3 return flights over a 5 year period

The Outer Hebridies are quite a stunning place and the likes of Luskintyre Beach, little villages and single track roads for miles and miles is quite breathtaking in my humble opinion.

Loganair fly these route in their own painted planes with BA flight numbers.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’d like to give a nomination for TXL - not so much for Berlin itself (although there’s lots to do and one of my favourite cities!) but for a smaller city nearby Potsdam... well worth a visit on its own! Stunning architecture and lovely cobbled streets to wander around! Off the beaten track amazingly too
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA

Does this count?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by alvinlwh

Does this count?
Did this in BA colours too!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
I agree with Bologna and Mumbai. Both wonderful cities with great food (most of the reason I travel to be honest)!

I did particularly love Bermuda's hospitality and friendliness.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by TomMM
I found Algiers to be nice and the people friendly. Islamabad is on my list, just waiting on my visa.
Was going to say the same ... Algiers was fanastic and the train to Oran was quick, comfortable and cheap. Hugely underrated, and I found the visa easy to obtain. Some good IB/BA routing combinations available to make up for the limited LGW timetable, too.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks to the OP for launching an interesting thread ... much to consider here.

I will add my small voice to the Malta proposition ... but NOT for the tourist areas. Anyone considering it should look carefully at M'dina (The Xara Palace is the only hotel) or in the centre of Valletta in one of the boutique B&B hotels. As you can see from my signature, we've been a few times!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Was going to say the same ... Algiers was fanastic and the train to Oran was quick, comfortable and cheap. Hugely underrated, and I found the visa easy to obtain. Some good IB/BA routing combinations available to make up for the limited LGW timetable, too.
Algeria has never really featured on my list. I have been to Marrakech and was pretty underwhelmed by the constant stream of people trying to sell me something.

I would assume Algeria is different because of the lower tourist numbers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.