Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
At least 3 FlyerTalkers were onboard and have posted eyewitness reports. Excerpts and direct links follow

All reports implicate a musical artist/rapper named Busta Rhymes.

Originally Posted by 87CTA
  • Artist boards and his handler begins packing away his bags in the overheads. To note … the artist brought 4 carryon bags … which meant regardless of the situation that he would have struggled to easily find space (especially as the cabin was full). It was apparent that the handler was having trouble finding space and the artist began getting irate … asking “whose stuff is this” … my wife replied, “mine” … artist responds “move your stuff”.
  • I could tell immediately that this would only end in an argument so I suggested to my wife that she just move her bags to avoid confrontation … my wife quite rightfully responded “why should I, we are supposed to share this bin” … this is when the artist flew off the handle: “move your stuff, now” … he was towering over my wife’s seat and she was terrified … I stood up and asked him to “not be so rude to my wife” and to “leave it” to which he responded with “then let’s go, homeboy … essentially offering me to fight him!!!!
Originally Posted by 81romeo
A woman started to cry and the situation escalated very quickly. I then jumped in as I can't tolerate any case of abusive behaviour. He threatened me personally because I jumped in. The CSD got involved. The Captain decided to not offload him (don't ask me why because we really don't know, we were all shocked at his judgment call). Instead, the crew asked if any of us would feel safer by taking the next flight.
Originally Posted by Realitycheck
The cabin staff did an excellent job at controlling the situation. Albeit they admitted being fearful as we all were. BR was traveling with his handler and 6 members of his entourage.
Print Wikipost

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looks like filmed from 3 or 4 E (?)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:48 am

"A BA spokesman added: 'Our cabin crew and Captain reassured all the customers involved.

'All those in the cabin were given the option of moving away, and the flight did not depart until everyone confirmed that they were happy to continue.'"
I'm sorry what?! The option was to move to a different flight, not move away since the couple asked if they could move to CW (which should never have happened either). What utter tripe.
Buster, Passmethesickbag and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo
"British Airways replied to Simple Flying with the following statement regarding this incident.

Our customers and crews deserve to enjoy their flights, and not to suffer any form of abuse. This sort of behaviour will not be tolerated, and the appropriate action will always be taken.​​ – British Airways"

Well - no action was taken on this occasion, how reliable is this website? I can't believe this was BA's answer.
Originally Posted by 13901

The language is similar to other messages of that kind that I’ve seen, internally and externally. If BA really has written the bit in italics, and it feels legit to me based on my previous experience, it would mean that an investigation is in progress. It could lead to Busta Rhymes being banned or nothing happening. Or something inbetween.

It is indeed a standard cut & paste template response which I suspect the BA Press Office is accustomed to trotting out on receipt of any such media enquiries.

The exact same wording was offered to The Independent which reported an incident involving an inebriated passenger on a LHR-SIN sector, and who eventually required forcible restraint by CC (assisted by another pax)
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8670201.html

So yes, the issue now of course is just how BA chooses to act - and how swiftly - once its internal investigations are complete.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think he/she means the captain
ha! Would probably be an easier life without so much drama!

besides, the traditional punishment for inadequate flight crews involves flying freighters full of rubber dog .... out of Hong Kong
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
Your first Google hit. Google personalise search results, so a link that you've already visited will often come first.
Odd... mine comes up with www.bettybigboobsmassageparlourinberkshire.com
seanp7 and Deltus like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Obviously his threatening behavior has been rewarded before, so he will continue to behave this way.
I am not sure from the anecdotes whether the threatened woman ever moved her carry-on but, if she did not, then kudos to her.

The decision by the captain to leave him on the flight was wrong. Threats of physical violence, no matter how cleverly couched, should never be tolerated-especially in an enclosed cabin where alcohol will be served.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

What a wretched experience for those involved - BTW, a warm welcome to FlyerTalk to our new members.

When I read the first hand accounts, my initial reaction was by not offloading a disruptive and aggressive passenger, the captain made the wrong call here. On further thought however, I can think of a realistic set of scenarios which now leads me to think the call was a good one (not perfect).

We know skippers are trained to take immediate decisions often with very little notice that can have far reaching consequences, so their approach is methodical which takes into account a wide variety of risks parameters. For example, and off the top of my head and accepting I am not a pilot

• Incident occurred late in the boarding stage, so preparations for departure would have been completed or at an advanced stage (incl take-off slot confirmed)
  • Assess consequences of offloading passengers and quantify potential delay - estimate time required to remove baggage and apply for new departure slot. Note, JFK ops are currently impacted by runway reconstruction and 7pm is a peak departure time, so this decision will affect all passengers on board
  • Are seats available on the next flight? Check BA174 departing 30 mins later, and BA176 departing 60 mins later? How many seats? Are there checked baggage involved?
  • Assess off-load parameters. Number of passengers involved + mixed classes (if entourage is also offloaded) + number of baggage containers to be removed and reloaded. Check delay estimate and slot options
  • Assess potential misconnection parameters. How many passengers? What impact?
  • Has the situation in the cabin been defused? Ask passengers if they would prefer to move to a later flight. If the answer is no, then secure cabin and prepare for departure.

I accept this is a gross simplification of a highly complex process and doesn't take into account the scenario where passengers elected to move to a later flight, or whether checked baggage was a factor but I hope it elaborates my thought process.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 31, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
The video on the DM is interesting. Is BR talking to the fellow passenger? In which case, whilst he seems arrogant and rude, he doesn't seem particularly threatening (albeit I grant that it is perhaps easy to say that from the safety of a laptop). However BR also suggests that the passenger in question had been lauging at him. Perhaps at his pompous behaviour, but none the less not the sort of action that would defuse a confrontation. Perhaps BR is talking to the CSD or Captain, and so toned it down a bit to sound reasonable. Who knows...I wasnt there...the way the video cuts suggests its a bit of both.

Either way, I would suggest that, whilst far from the expectations of a F flight, the video leaves me to infer there is, at least, an element of 'two to tango' here. That doesnt excuse any threat - implied or otherwise - but this thread is perhaps just an extended DYKWIA entry. But - as I say - we weren't (by and large) there.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nd100
The way the world is right now, it is easy to imagine how his removal would have sparked an instant, global Twitter storm, hashtag BoycottRacistAirways, BA offices and check-in counters picketed by Black Lives Matter etc. The facts of the case wouldn't have mattered one jot to any of it. And of course Cruz would have been forced into a grovelling apology and to give in to pressure to sack the 'racist' captain. It's unfortunate but here we are. We don't live in a world that is rational or fair.
I have a plan that if something kicks off in the cabin I'm travelling in I'll try and record as much of it as possible. Preferably video but audio if space is too tight on my phone.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I have a plan that if something kicks off in the cabin I'm travelling in I'll try and record as much of it as possible. Preferably video but audio if space is too tight on my phone.
If you can remember to shoot in landscape and not portrait that would be great!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
If I represented BR, I would be looking for these passengers to send an apology for the "misunderstanding", and an offer of a "gift" in return for a release. Since this happened in NYC, there are various legal avenues to address this. Unfortunately the wrong police got the initial report.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Obviously his threatening behavior has been rewarded before, so he will continue to behave this way.
I am not sure from the anecdotes whether the threatened woman ever moved her carry-on but, if she did not, then kudos to her....
Yes, she did move her carryon.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31359295-post104.html
Originally Posted by Realitycheck
We were in FC and witnessed the entire incident. For the record there was plenty of overhead space for BR's carry on. But he insisted that his belongings be placed in the overhead directly above his seat (2A). The terrified young lady in 2E has just as much right to have her belongings there as there is no overhead bin over the two middle seats in FC. And oh btw first come first served should govern. Yet he immediately became aggressive and she yielded while in tears to moving her stuff to the other side of the plane. When her husband who was helping suggested that BR need not be rude, BR then became more aggressive and called the husband "homeboy".....
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
The video on the DM is interesting. Is BR talking to the fellow passenger? In which case, whilst he seems arrogant and rude, he doesn't seem particularly threatening (albeit I grant that it is perhaps easy to say that from the safety of a laptop). However BR also suggests that the passenger in question had been lauging at him. Perhaps at his pompous behaviour, but none the less not the sort of action that would defuse a confrontation. Perhaps BR is talking to the CSD or Captain, and so toned it down a bit to sound reasonable. Who knows...I wasnt there...the way the video cuts suggests its a bit of both.

Either way, I would suggest that, whilst far from the expectations of a F flight, the video leaves me to infer there is, at least, an element of 'two to tango' here. That doesnt excuse any threat - implied or otherwise - but this thread is perhaps just an extended DYKWIA entry. But - as I say - we weren't (by and large) there.
He does seem pretty calm to be honest. Also by mentioning that handling the situation off the plane could be a discussion is also a good point, the passenger inferred a threat whilst Busta felt like he wasn't threatening. Misunderstanding/misinterpretation? Also homeboy is basically the same as saying man, mate, dude, etc.
rockflyertalk and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
He does seem pretty calm to be honest. Also by mentioning that handling the situation off the plane could be a discussion is also a good point, the passenger inferred a threat whilst Busta felt like he wasn't threatening. Misunderstanding/misinterpretation? Also homeboy is basically the same as saying man, mate, dude, etc.
Originally Posted by 87CTA
  • We all settled back into the FC cabin and the artist then entered the cabin to sit down. He then IMMEDIATELY threatened 81ROMEO (before the artist had even sat down) by saying something like “we’ll discuss this when we get off the plane” … in a highly aggressive voice … it was clearly a vailed threat! 81ROMEO had done nothing to provoke this!
  • 81ROMEO calmly walked out of the cabin (hats off to him) and got the CSD into the cabin again … who started off by saying “what’s happened now”. The captain was then brought down and then both parties were able to give their side to the story in which the artist all of a sudden became much calmer and nicer (funny that). To note … I have this entire conversation recorded on video!
Could the video have been taken just after the first bullet point above - so when all witnesses say that BR had been threatening, and the video on DM is therefore with the CSD present (after 81romeo went to the crew) and / or captain?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by endoman
4 carry on bags? Maybe it could have all been prevented a bit sooner........
It sounds like the handler was carrying at least some of them.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.