Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
At least 3 FlyerTalkers were onboard and have posted eyewitness reports. Excerpts and direct links follow

All reports implicate a musical artist/rapper named Busta Rhymes.

Originally Posted by 87CTA
  • Artist boards and his handler begins packing away his bags in the overheads. To note … the artist brought 4 carryon bags … which meant regardless of the situation that he would have struggled to easily find space (especially as the cabin was full). It was apparent that the handler was having trouble finding space and the artist began getting irate … asking “whose stuff is this” … my wife replied, “mine” … artist responds “move your stuff”.
  • I could tell immediately that this would only end in an argument so I suggested to my wife that she just move her bags to avoid confrontation … my wife quite rightfully responded “why should I, we are supposed to share this bin” … this is when the artist flew off the handle: “move your stuff, now” … he was towering over my wife’s seat and she was terrified … I stood up and asked him to “not be so rude to my wife” and to “leave it” to which he responded with “then let’s go, homeboy … essentially offering me to fight him!!!!
Originally Posted by 81romeo
A woman started to cry and the situation escalated very quickly. I then jumped in as I can't tolerate any case of abusive behaviour. He threatened me personally because I jumped in. The CSD got involved. The Captain decided to not offload him (don't ask me why because we really don't know, we were all shocked at his judgment call). Instead, the crew asked if any of us would feel safer by taking the next flight.
Originally Posted by Realitycheck
The cabin staff did an excellent job at controlling the situation. Albeit they admitted being fearful as we all were. BR was traveling with his handler and 6 members of his entourage.
Print Wikipost

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
This incident was picked up by blogger Gary Leff on his Veiw from the Wing site. Some of the comments are hardly conciliatory.

However the one comment I did like spoke of "no class in first class"..
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
This incident was picked up by blogger Gary Leff on his Veiw from the Wing site. Some of the comments are hardly conciliatory.

However the one comment I did like spoke of "no class in first class"..
FFS why would a frequent flier post a pic of BA’s 777 cabin which does have a locker above the centre pairs. A key point is the couple in row 2 didn’t have dedicated locker space so had to use 2A or K. It wasn’t as though they’d chosen an illogical place to stow their stuff.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at? Ultimately, a passenger was in tears and another threatened. It was serious enough for the Police to meet the plane on arrival.

Whilst you say a sense of entitlement may be present in First, I think all passengers are entitled to travel without being threatened or belittled to the point of tears. Anyone who thinks otherwise, like this rapper it would seem, should not be allowed to travel. Since this happened at the gate and the plane had not yet left, I believe people are shocked the Captain didn’t offload the offending individual (but actually offered to remove those threatened and in tears!).
I too am not defending BRs actions but i also have witnessed things like this on many flights down at the back and noone has been offloaded.

I, too, am going to play devils advocate but would OP and the others felt so threatened if it was a white muscly man of large stature with an entourage of white men?

Also, looking at it the other side, the captain offered because it was how the passengers felt not because he had actually hit anyone etc.
Again, this would have never have happened in the back and more than likely, i would have been offloaded for getting involved in something that had nothing to do with me. As everyone said, it was very courageous of the post to stand up to him and defend the couple but i am not surprised by his rebuttal. If you have been anywhere in south london, this would be have been a reaction of anyone on a bus/tube/etc. Getting involved when she had a man there to do that herself was asking for trouble.

Last edited by MiraculousM; Jul 31, 2019 at 1:40 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:55 am

What is a “home boy”?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
but would OP and the others felt so threatened if it was a white muscly man of large stature with an entourage of white men?
I can't believe you just wrote this. Your note really deserves no comment.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I too am not defending BRs actions but i also have witnessed things like this on many flights down at the back and noone has been offloaded.

I, too, am going to play devils advocate but would OP and the others felt so threatened if it was a white muscly man of large stature with an entourage of white men?

Also, looking at it the other side, the captain offered because it was how the passengers felt not because he had actually hit anyone etc.
Again, this would have never have happened in the back and more than likely, i would have been offloaded for getting involved in something that had nothing to do with me. As everyone said, it was very courageous of the post to stand up to him and defend the couple but i am not surprised by his rebuttal. If you have been anywhere in south london, this would be have been a reaction of anyone on a bus/tube/etc. Getting involved when she had a man there to do that herself was asking for trouble.
I can't speak for the people on the flight, but personally speaking if someone threatened me on the plane and then implied a physical confrontation to "clear" the matter up once at Heathrow then I would certainly feel threatened whether they were white, black, large or small.

Also I live in South East London and numerous times have seen people stand up for/get involved in these sort of incidents in public transport and other situations, it's almost always appreciated, not everyone is confident or brave enough to stand up in public for someone....
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:09 am

I am "the husband"

Hi all,

So, I am the husband of the lady who was first abused by the “artist” in question – we were in fact sitting in the front “buddy” seats in FC 4E and 4F. The events (from our perspective) went like this:
  • The artist boarded the plane shortly before pushback. The cabin had already settled down and bags were already packed away in the overhead bins. For accuracy, my wife’s seat was next to the artists which meant they were supposed to SHARE the same overhead.
  • Artist boards and his handler begins packing away his bags in the overheads. To note … the artist brought 4 carryon bags … which meant regardless of the situation that he would have struggled to easily find space (especially as the cabin was full). It was apparent that the handler was having trouble finding space and the artist began getting irate … asking “whose stuff is this” … my wife replied, “mine” … artist responds “move your stuff”.
  • I could tell immediately that this would only end in an argument so I suggested to my wife that she just move her bags to avoid confrontation … my wife quite rightfully responded “why should I, we are supposed to share this bin” … this is when the artist flew off the handle: “move your stuff, now” … he was towering over my wife’s seat and she was terrified … I stood up and asked him to “not be so rude to my wife” and to “leave it” to which he responded with “then let’s go, homeboy … essentially offering me to fight him!!!!
  • The staff then entered the cabin (including the CSD) to defuse the situation. A nice female attendant took my wife away to comfort here in the toilet. The CSD then (wrongly, in my opinion) asked me in front of the artist “if you want to take this further and report him to the police now”. To provide context … the artist was stood there staring at me as I was asked this … that was EXTREMELY intimidating and was not the right way to deal with it. I responded with “no comment”.
  • The artist was then taken to the galley to calm down … he was placed outside the door to the toilet where my wife was crying and terrified … I even had to squeeze past him to get to my wife in the toilet! When I passed him … he said “we cool” … and I said, “we’ll be cool when you apologise to my wife” .. he responded with “there isn’t nothing to apologise for aside from your wife acting like a queen”. I left the conversation immediately as there was zero upside!
  • We all settled back into the FC cabin and the artist then entered the cabin to sit down. He then IMMEDIATELY threatened 81ROMEO (before the artist had even sat down) by saying something like “we’ll discuss this when we get off the plane” … in a highly aggressive voice … it was clearly a vailed threat! 81ROMEO had done nothing to provoke this!
  • 81ROMEO calmly walked out of the cabin (hats off to him) and got the CSD into the cabin again … who started off by saying “what’s happened now”. The captain was then brought down and then both parties were able to give their side to the story in which the artist all of a sudden became much calmer and nicer (funny that). To note … I have this entire conversation recorded on video!
  • The pilot decided it was right to keep the artist on the flight and we were asked if WE wanted to get off the flight” my wife was so distraught that she asked if we could be moved to CW but there was only one seat so we had to decline. We were mortified that the pilot decided to keep him on the flight despite threatening two passengers and being extremely rude to another (my wife).
  • After pushback there were no further issues between people in the cabin; although we didn’t sleep a wink and my wife cried for most of the flight – she was scared!!!thanks BA for deciding to keep a dangerous passenger on the flight.
Carfield, SK, RSSrsvp and 56 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by jp-mco
What is a “home boy”?
Its an urban term generally used between two black men from the same neighbourhood. I read it in the OP statement to belive that BR was patronisinly addressing a gentlemen of similar ethnicity which is why I was surprised about the black/white comments on here and elsewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP
I feel like homeboy in this situation is like calling someone mate when they are absolutely not your mate

fwiw there is an underlying ?trend ?feeling in some communities that white women cry and then get defended by numerous white knights, thus proving that racism exists (i’m not explaining this well but it is a thing- sorry to post a guardian article as a reference but: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...accountability)

as a white female working largely in majority black communities I can confirm that crying or having any leap in to “save” me escalates the situation quite remarkably. However obviously it’s not reasonable to expect people who don’t operate in those environments routinely to be aware of those kind of nuances (and neither in first class should you have to be)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
I feel like homeboy in this situation is like calling someone mate when they are absolutely not your mate

fwiw there is an underlying ?trend ?feeling in some communities that white women cry and then get defended by numerous white knights, thus proving that racism exists (i’m not explaining this well but it is a thing- sorry to post a guardian article as a reference but: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...accountability)

as a white female working largely in majority black communities I can confirm that crying or having any leap in to “save” me escalates the situation quite remarkably. However obviously it’s not reasonable to expect people who don’t operate in those environments routinely to be aware of those kind of nuances (and neither in first class should you have to be)

I agree. This is sort of what i was getting at and did not mean to cause offence so sorry for wording it badly. I feel like getting involved escalated it completely and homeboy isnt a threatening term but in this situation is a sarcastic one.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC
@87CTA thanks for the update. Glad to hear you have it recorded.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I love that FT provides a forum (literally!) for a bunch of strangers to come together after the flight and share each of their perspectives. Now we just need Mr Rhymes to join and we'll have a full house!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hi all,
So, I am the husband of the lady who was first abused by the “artist” in question – we were in fact sitting in the front “buddy” seats in FC 4E and 4F. The events (from our perspective) went like this:
I welcome you to Flyertalk and welcome you to the BA board, and another very dispassionate first post, 87CTA. And though you haven't said this, I imagine this was supposed to be a special occasion for you, and it turned into something completely different. I am very sorry this has happened to you, all I can point out it that this almost certainly will never happen again, I hope it won't deter you from flying again.

And of course all of these reports, from people who didn't know each other, all tie in. I imagine you can use the Private Message facility to get in touch with the other 2 passengers in First with you.

I do hope you have contacted YouFirst by telephone, to complain, followed up with an email along the lines mentioned above. I can't see anything in what you have reported which is acceptable, though it's possible the captain had other unstated factors to contend with. However this was an appalling incident (and that's not a term I use lightly), no-one should feel bullied, and certainly not trapped with the bully for 7 hours in a narrow tube.

Again I'm very sorry this has happened to you and your wife.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 31, 2019 at 4:27 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Its an urban term generally used between two black men from the same neighbourhood. I read it in the OP statement to belive that BR was patronisinly addressing a gentlemen of similar ethnicity which is why I was surprised about the black/white comments on here and elsewhere.
I never knew 'homeboy' to be a term reserved for black people.
But in the US we have non-white non-black and maybe you are talking about a place that does not?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Hi all,

• The artist boarded the plane shortly before pushback. The cabin had already settled down and bags were already packed away in the overhead bins. For accuracy, my wife’s seat was next to the artists which meant they were supposed to SHARE the same overhead.
  • The staff then entered the cabin (including the CSD) to defuse the situation. A nice female attendant took my wife away to comfort here in the toilet. The CSD then (wrongly, in my opinion) asked me in front of the artist “if you want to take this further and report him to the police now”. To provide context … the artist was stood there staring at me as I was asked this … that was EXTREMELY intimidating and was not the right way to deal with it. I responded with “no comment”.
  • The artist was then taken to the galley to calm down … he was placed outside the door to the toilet where my wife was crying and terrified … I even had to squeeze past him to get to my wife in the toilet! When I passed him … he said “we cool” … and I said, “we’ll be cool when you apologise to my wife” .. he responded with “there isn’t nothing to apologise for aside from your wife acting like a queen”. I left the conversation immediately as there was zero upside!
  • We all settled back into the FC cabin and the artist then entered the cabin to sit down. He then IMMEDIATELY threatened 81ROMEO (before the artist had even sat down) by saying something like “we’ll discuss this when we get off the plane” … in a highly aggressive voice … it was clearly a vailed threat! 81ROMEO had done nothing to provoke this!
  • 81ROMEO calmly walked out of the cabin (hats off to him) and got the CSD into the cabin again … who started off by saying “what’s happened now”. The captain was then brought down and then both parties were able to give their side to the story in which the artist all of a sudden became much calmer and nicer (funny that). To note … I have this entire conversation recorded on video!
  • The pilot decided it was right to keep the artist on the flight and we were asked if WE wanted to get off the flight” my wife was so distraught that she asked if we could be moved to CW but there was only one seat so we had to decline. We were mortified that the pilot decided to keep him on the flight despite threatening two passengers and being extremely rude to another (my wife).
  • After pushback there were no further issues between people in the cabin; although we didn’t sleep a wink and my wife cried for most of the flight – she was scared!!!thanks BA for deciding to keep a dangerous passenger on the flight.
given these circumstances, I would not only expect a major compensation from BA, but would also consider taking this to court. I am not as familiar with legal concepts in UK (even though I live here) but it seems that BA violated their duty of care.
crazy8534, 81romeo and BAEC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.