Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
At least 3 FlyerTalkers were onboard and have posted eyewitness reports. Excerpts and direct links follow

All reports implicate a musical artist/rapper named Busta Rhymes.

Originally Posted by 87CTA
  • Artist boards and his handler begins packing away his bags in the overheads. To note … the artist brought 4 carryon bags … which meant regardless of the situation that he would have struggled to easily find space (especially as the cabin was full). It was apparent that the handler was having trouble finding space and the artist began getting irate … asking “whose stuff is this” … my wife replied, “mine” … artist responds “move your stuff”.
  • I could tell immediately that this would only end in an argument so I suggested to my wife that she just move her bags to avoid confrontation … my wife quite rightfully responded “why should I, we are supposed to share this bin” … this is when the artist flew off the handle: “move your stuff, now” … he was towering over my wife’s seat and she was terrified … I stood up and asked him to “not be so rude to my wife” and to “leave it” to which he responded with “then let’s go, homeboy … essentially offering me to fight him!!!!
Originally Posted by 81romeo
A woman started to cry and the situation escalated very quickly. I then jumped in as I can't tolerate any case of abusive behaviour. He threatened me personally because I jumped in. The CSD got involved. The Captain decided to not offload him (don't ask me why because we really don't know, we were all shocked at his judgment call). Instead, the crew asked if any of us would feel safer by taking the next flight.
Originally Posted by Realitycheck
The cabin staff did an excellent job at controlling the situation. Albeit they admitted being fearful as we all were. BR was traveling with his handler and 6 members of his entourage.
Print Wikipost

29 July 19: BA112 [JFK-LHR] incident in F cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by seanp7
I'd be furious missing the only flight a day to JMK, losing most of the first day because of the re-route, all because of a third-rate musician.
It used to be that the term "musician" referred to people who could actually play a musical instrument.
seanp7, PAL62V, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
An apology?
Granted, surely that happened in person?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
An apology?
Having read all the thread (and the DM!) I’m not quite sure what BA should be apologising for.

Allowing him to fly (think further delay and disruption)?
Cabin Crew failure to rearrange overhead lockers?

What should BA be apologising for, apart from the existence of someone outwith their control?
rockflyertalk and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Check out his Wikipedia page for a list of his arrests for similar incidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busta_Rhymes
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express

Originally Posted by T8191
Having read all the thread (and the DM!) I’m not quite sure what BA should be apologising for.

Allowing him to fly (think further delay and disruption)?
Cabin Crew failure to rearrange overhead lockers?

What should BA be apologising for, apart from the existence of someone outwith their control?
Putting the safety and security of passengers and crew at risk. The Captain is at fault here IMHO.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

First update, I can't share the source but it's 100% trustworthy:

66 pax missed their connections due this incident (including myself).
20 of them to JMK, including 1 Pax that also was in First (BR). He was rebooked via Athens.
BA first told BR to organise a charter flight from LHR on his own dime. But at the end they have rebooked him via Athens on BA640 to JMK with Aegean.
Looking at what is recorded on FR24, the flight made up time and landed at LHR at 05:44 (STA 06:30). Do you know what caused the 66 misconnections?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:18 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fontaine
Anyone notice if he arrived on the tarmac by car or van, and thus could have avoided TSA security check? If he did, it is not out of the realm that one or more in his group of 8 was security, and carrying. Too bad this wasn't handled by the PAPD.
He'd have had to go through security at LHR... so a very bad idea
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Regarding what's expected: if the lady concerned wanted to downgrade to CW (but couldn't) because of this then I'd think she, her husband & 81romeo should at the very least be given a refund for the flight and that's the angle I'd take if I was involved.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
Regarding what's expected: if the lady concerned wanted to downgrade to CW (but couldn't) because of this then I'd think she, her husband & 81romeo should at the very least be given a refund for the flight and that's the angle I'd take if I was involved.
I haven’t heard of any refunds for flights on FT or in my life, other than Avios good will gestures or possible credit. But a pure refund is sadly a fantasy for any passenger nowadays surely?! (I’m not agreeing that it shouldn’t happen but it is what it is)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Prospero
Looking at what is recorded on FR24, the flight made up time and landed at LHR at 05:44 (STA 06:30). Do you know what caused the 66 misconnections?
are you sure that you checking the right flight? My FR24 shows that the plane in question landed at 6:50....I’m checking BA112 to arrive on the 30th July....

Plus police arrived to the gate, etc so probably actual passengers could get off after 7am...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The Mirror stated "They (police) boarded the plane once it had landed at approximately 6:52am on Tuesday 30 July and spoke to the parties involved. There were no reported injuries, and no offences disclosed. The passengers concerned then proceeded with their journeys."

BA650 (LHR-JMK) leaves at....6:50.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAEC

Putting the safety and security of passengers and crew at risk. The Captain is at fault here IMHO.
As that risk did not materialise, perhaps the Captain made the right call?

“Mr Bling” had his bags where he wanted them, and could contentedly jangle his chain all the way to LHR.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting, flightaware shows BA 112 on Monday July 29th as departing on time but arriving 43 minutes late. The times are given as 7:00 pm (which isn't on time) as 7:13 am. It's T7 to T5, but gates aren't specified.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by T8191
As that risk did not materialise, perhaps the Captain made the right call?
And what if it had materialised over the Atlantic? Have you read up on his past antics ? Seriously.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
The flight landed at 0644am GMT.
We then waited ca 30 minutes on the tarmac for a stand to become available. When we parked, the MET Police BMW X5 was already parked next to the abridge.
Doors were opened at 0713am GMT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.