FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seat changed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1980766-seat-changed.html)

diversmanchester Jul 30, 19 2:07 am

Seat changed

New guy on the blolck. One World Emerald flying HKG LHR in Club World. Booked 53A on upper deck of A380 weeks ago. Checked in at T-24 and have boarding pass confirming 53A. Check in number is 054.

For some strange reason I logged in and checked my special meal is ordered and suddenly I see my seat is showing at 52A and 53A now not available.

Called BA and the guy told me that the aiport authorities block this seat which I told him BS. I have done this flight more than 50 times and never heard that excuse.

He went away and came back saying that the seat is showing no one in it and they have sent a message to say to put me in it.

Advice on this appreciated or do I make sure I am 1st on baord with BP in hand and if anyone else tries to seat there I direct them to 52A.

woodey Jul 30, 19 2:11 am

Perhaps the seat or IFE is broken?

Cymro Jul 30, 19 2:12 am

The excuse is obviously BS (and troubling) but if there is no one in it then there is a possibility that the seat is defective.

If someone else has a boarding pass for 53A then, however bad the service is in moving you out of it, they have a better claim to it than you - and the crew would be right to insist on that.

Incidentally, it is a very full flight; 1 empty seat in F but showing F1, J1, W4, Y2 - so I'd expect at least one op-up to be planned.

babats Jul 30, 19 2:14 am

What - no welcome for the newbie yet?

Perhaps the Captain's SOH has decided to fly

spanners Jul 30, 19 2:47 am

Welcome!

Entire row 53 was defective on an A380 flight last week. Seats unable to recline fully and not able to return to take off position.

I was reassigned 57F after I already had a boarding pass so at least you still have an A seat with the likelihood of no one in 53B so perhaps still direct aisle access.

Hope you have a good flight nevertheless.

KARFA Jul 30, 19 2:51 am

It looks like 53A and B are blocked for this evening so perhaps a defect on that seat pair block.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e2044411f5.png

PETER01 Jul 30, 19 3:09 am

Originally Posted by woodey (Post 31357698)
Perhaps the seat or IFE is broken?

This was my first thoughts too and reading spanners post it would seem to have been an issue on at least one of the A380's.

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board diversmanchester ^

I sympathise with you being shifted. However and as spanners has mentioned that if 53A and B are broken and blocked then 52A may work out just as good as you'd still be able to walk out of 52A directly with 53B remaining out of use perhaps so if the seats are defective then overall that's a decent seat to be shifted to.

You'd have to stay in your allocated seat a per your BP and if you see that there is someone in 53A then it could be a staffer who would be shifted to non working seat to accommodate other (commercial) passengers.

BertieBadger Jul 30, 19 3:19 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk diversmanchester, no doubt one of the friendly ambassadors will be along shortly with the formal welcome. And just in case you are not aware, you are limited to just 5 posts in your first 24 hours of posting, which can catch people out.

As KARFA has posted, both 53A/B are blocked at the moment on the BA32 tonight. There could be reasons for that (including your own status creating a Theoretical Seating block from your 52A seat) but it could also, as suggested, be due to defective seat(s). Perhaps one of the BA staffers has more 'insider information' here? If 53B does stay empty, at least you will have aisle access without a stepover.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the phone agents explanation as "BS", though it certainly sounds like it could have been far better phrased. If < T-24, then the seating is under airport control I believe, so they may have just made a clumsy phrasing of indicating that 53A is blocked on this flight for reasons which are yet unknown.

Lastly, I'm actually seeing 3 free seats in F, and availability of F3 J5 W9 Y9, so it doesn't look like it will be full. I wonder if Cymro has accidentally looked at the LHR-HKG flight on the 31st where the numbers match what they have posted, but as I understand it, you are in HKG at the moment departing for LHR at 23.10 local.

(And I see while I wrote all that stuff PETER01 has beaten me to the punch. Must type faster :D)

Cymro Jul 30, 19 3:21 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 31357806)
Welcome to FlyerTalk diversmanchester, no doubt one of the friendly ambassadors will be along shortly with the formal welcome. And just in case you are not aware, you are limited to just 5 posts in your first 24 hours of posting, which can catch people out.

As KARFA has posted, both 53A/B are blocked at the moment on the BA32 tonight. There could be reasons for that (including your own status creating a Theoretical Seating block from your 52A seat) but it could also, as suggested, be due to defective seat(s). Perhaps one of the BA staffers has more 'insider information' here? If 53B does stay empty, at least you will have aisle access without a stepover.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the phone agents explanation as "BS", though it certainly sounds like it could have been far better phrased. If < T-24, then the seating is under airport control I believe, so they may have just made a clumsy phrasing of indicating that 53A is blocked on this flight for reasons which are yet unknown.

Lastly, I'm actually seeing 3 free seats in F, and availability of F3 J5 W9 Y9, so it doesn't look like it will be full. I wonder if Cymro has accidentally looked at the LHR-HKG flight on the 31st where the numbers match what they have posted, but as I understand it, you are in HKG at the moment departing for LHR at 23.10 local.

(And I see while I wrote all that stuff PETER01 has beaten me to the punch. Must type faster :D)

Yeah, definitely read that as LHR-HKG for some reason, sorry - please ignore the availability comments!

argonath Jul 30, 19 3:51 am

Glad to see another conspiracy theory thread quashed :rolleyes:

diversmanchester Jul 30, 19 5:42 am

Thank you everybody for your replies

diversmanchester Jul 31, 19 12:03 am

I had 4 seats to myself. Rows 52 53 windows area. Thanks again. Crew was great & thanked me for being the perfect passenger who slept the whole flight.