Wiki Posts
Search

Final push to retain silver!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Final push to retain silver!

With a reduced number of flights for business, this year has seen me relying on POUGs, a domestic TP Run and stellar priced LAX return in CW courtesy of the Premium Fare Deals thread! However, on returning from LAX in late August, I have one further EU business trip in Y, and this will take me to 590 TPs; my TP year ends on 8th September! My query is regarding the EU trip, which is booked through the company travel agent. The booking ('L' out and 'V' return) provides me with 10 TPs each way. So, to make it to 600, I simply need one of the legs priced as a fully flexible ticket and earn 20 TPs. Any upgrades in MMB are locked out and I am reluctant to call BA due to it being a TA booking. Will MMB open up at some point and allow me to 'upgrade' to a fully flexible ticket?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TedToToe
So, to make it to 600, I simply need one of the legs priced as a fully flexible ticket and earn 20 TPs. Any upgrades in MMB are locked out and I am reluctant to call BA due to it being a TA booking. Will MMB open up at some point and allow me to 'upgrade' to a fully flexible ticket?
Wait until T-24 / OLCI. You may get a POUG offer, but if not you can then call BA to get a fare difference upgrade. This will involve a change fee unfortunately but take your unwritten assumption here, it would still probably cheaper than doing anything else. The actuall best approach would be
T-24 - check for POUG
T-16 or whatever - when you pass midnight GMT since the robots recalculate POUGs at that point
T-4 - check at airport if AUP available
T-3 - if not fare difference to either Club or a higher class.

I shouldn't say this really, but if there is a strike announced tomorrow / Wednesday then there may be a Customer Advisory, which with careful perusal of Expertflyer could show up an interesting rebooking option.

Otherwise get thee to LGW and a GLA/ED evening tripI for £46 and 10 TPs.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks C-W-S. Yes, I'd be happy with a fare difference upgrade. I'll keep the LGW-GLA TP Run as Plan B!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Where is the last business trip from and to? Sometimes there are good one-way CE fares out of select cities, like ARN.
​​​
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Where is the last business trip from and to? Sometimes there are good one-way CE fares out of select cities, like ARN.
​​​
It is LHR-GVA-LHR 2nd to 5th September.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TedToToe
It is LHR-GVA-LHR 2nd to 5th September.
There are certainly cheaper options than my masterplan then.
TedToToe and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Worst case is a simple same day LHR-MAN-LHR for £92.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:08 am

There are certainly cheaper options than my masterplan then.
Actually it's not impossible, just not necessarily the best for your needs. It depends how much time you can put to this and how Avios rich you are perhaps. For example, GVA-LCY one-way in (so called) business is 168CHF (£140) on 5th Sept. You could use 10K Avios to cut that down to 94CHF (£80) and still earn the 40TPs. More than you need, but may be preferable if you don't want to lose a day travelling later.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Actually it's not impossible, just not necessarily the best for your needs. It depends how much time you can put to this and how Avios rich you are perhaps. For example, GVA-LCY one-way in (so called) business is 168CHF (£140) on 5th Sept. You could use 10K Avios to cut that down to 94CHF (£80) and still earn the 40TPs. More than you need, but may be preferable if you don't want to lose a day travelling later.
Thank you for the update. It’s time that I am lacking, more so than budget. I cannot easily fit in a TP run over the weekend of 7th/8th September. Making a separate booking to LCY could work.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Don't forget that you actually have until September 22nd to get the extra TPs, you can ask for a two week extension to your year if you're going to collect them just after the official cutoff....
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Don't forget that you actually have until September 22nd to get the extra TPs, you can ask for a two week extension to your year if you're going to collect them just after the official cutoff....
Does that actually work? Given BA's usual up and down ability to process stuff I'd be a bit sceptical personally. But that's just me...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Does that actually work? Given BA's usual up and down ability to process stuff I'd be a bit sceptical personally. But that's just me...
Yes it does. And they do it fairly quickly. One thing to note is as it is a discretionary benefit, you couldn't get an additional benefit applied on top of this (e.g extension and then Maternity/Paternity/Adoption benefit)
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
And another gotcha, if you claim the two week extension any flights in that two week period count only towards the previous year.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Yes, another data point: my wife slipped to bronze because I'd booked us a trip for my January birthday convinced that her renewal date was February 8th. But it wasn't - schoolboy error as it's January 8th. Called and got the points from 11 & 14 January counted for the previous year. Silver retained - although it took two phone calls as the first agent didn't actually act as they said they would.
All to the good, and family holiday to Portugal went well with lounge access at both ends for four people (and we all really liked the QF lounge in T3 which we had almost to ourselves before the afternoon flight to LIS).
Moral of the story - the extension does work!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Interesting. Never needed it although got close one year and it was a gold / silver situation so would have potentially been useful as that's a lot of TPs to burn....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.