Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs IB flagship lounges comparison

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
For me, if you remove the Haagen Dazs from the IB lounges then there isn't much else on offer so they're not a patch on the BA T5 lounges.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:35 am
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I’m surprised that some think the MAD Velasquez is superior to LHR T5 GF. I’m far from a BA apologist, but I actually found the BA TXL terraces Lounge far superior to the IB MAD Velasquez. I did find the Ice cream in the unmarked silver tray next to the main buffet, but that didn’t salvage what was a very mediocre lounge experience. It was packed to the rafters too. I guess it’s down to individual expectations and experience
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Seriously? I have used PP for many years and struggle to name any PP lounges that are better than BA Galleries. Do you have any genuine examples?
I've never been in a LHR PP lounge. East Midlands had hot pies, pasta and salad. Luton had a pretty decent spread, as did Stansted. I must admit the Aspire in BHX wasn't great for food, but I usually chose that because of the self pour wine, over decent food in the other PP lounge there, with a bar which was barely staffed.

My memory of BA J food is bullet bacon rolls. A slop of some sort of tomato pasta which I'd probably turn down in a school canteen. I'd eat elsewhere in the airport over the BA J lounges which I remember.

I was gold for about three years, and since then I've pretty much flown from T3, so CX J for me, so not seen the BA J lounges since about 2014. I remember South being a zoo, north being a hellhole. B was nice because you could actually get a server for the champers, but the food was pretty much something I'd not touch.

Maybe next time in T5 I'll have a look if I fly from there. I don't expect much. PP lounges have upped their game in the last four years though.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Smid
I was gold for about three years, and since then I've pretty much flown from T3, so CX J for me, so not seen the BA J lounges since about 2014. I remember South being a zoo, north being a hellhole. B was nice because you could actually get a server for the champers, but the food was pretty much something I'd not touch.

Maybe next time in T5 I'll have a look if I fly from there. I don't expect much. PP lounges have upped their game in the last four years though.
Thanks for clarifying this, I don't think it reflects current reality. There have been some warmly supportive comments over some of the GC food changes in more recent times, such as the dual breakfast and salad lunch options in T5B and the later timings of the bacon rolls, and that there wouldn't be many people who would these days trade (e.g.) Aspire South for GC North or South, let alone B. I know Luton Aspire and Stansted Escape PP lounges well, and STN is used by BACF. And again they have about half the food options compared to GC. The one exception is at breakfast time when are some hot options available in PP not available in GC. For the salads there are 4 bowls in STN, 5 in LTN, GC has 7 salad items plus the tapas options and quiches. Both can be so crowded that PP cardholders aren't always allowed entry unless they pay extra and pre-book. In the case of STN the protocol is to split that queue into two, with the first 8 passengers downstairs by the lounge entrance, anyone else is kept upstairs by the corridor to the WCs. If you think that is better than North, even on a bad day, then I would have to gently disagree.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
I’m flying BA CE MAD-LHR and it struck me how relatively good the BA lounges are (or should I say how bad IB lounges are). Admittedly IB lounges are combined emerald / sapphire and J is their highest class of service, but the afternoon food here in the Velasquez lounge comprises boiled rice, Spanish omelette and tomato sauce. There is no champagne, only a selection of relatively cheap Spanish wines. It’s been a while since I was in galleries J, but I’m 100% sure BA LHR J lounges are far superior based on the offering.

Thinking of Galleries F and CCR, they are in a different league compared to these IB Madrid lounges.
IB main base customer is Spanish, and Spanish people normally prefer cava to champagne.

Same with breakfast offering. Spanish people tends to eat a lighter breakfast and a strong lunch and dinner.
4lB3R70 and Sergyblue like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Velazquez service, selection of food and beverages is by far better than Galleries Lounge, even F.
No champagne, true, but it does not make sense to serve champagne in a country that you have cava which you won't notice are not champagne... In regards to cheap wines, I do not agree, but again turning back to the same point, IB serves normally Spanish wines.
Can you see AF serving Californian or Italian wines?

Different strokes from different folks!
By the way... I am BAEC Gold and Briton
Sergyblue likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:02 pm

Luton had a pretty decent spread
Now I'm not as critical of LTN as some on here - and I use it regularly - but I think it's fair to say that the LHR Galleries Clubs are significantly better than the LTN Aspire. The Aspire is fine when it's not overcrowded (which it often is) but drinks require a long wait at the bar and are served weak, food options are fine but boring, and overall the space feels cramped. I'd be hard-pressed to find something better about it than GC. The new Clubrooms look a nice step up, however.

Back on topic, I think I'm about even on the BA GC vs IB Velzquez comparison - pros and cons to both as mostly noted by others above. Experience in both (as with LTN) varies markedly depend on how busy they are.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Jed
I’m surprised that some think the MAD Velasquez is superior to LHR T5 GF. I’m far from a BA apologist, but I actually found the BA TXL terraces Lounge far superior to the IB MAD Velasquez. I did find the Ice cream in the unmarked silver tray next to the main buffet, but that didn’t salvage what was a very mediocre lounge experience. It was packed to the rafters too. I guess it’s down to individual expectations and experience
[My bold above]

Well, different strokes for different folks and all that, but that one baffles me. I’m struggling to think of any aspect in which I’d consider the BA TXL lounge is equal to Velazquez, never mind “far superior”. I don’t ever drink alcohol at TXL, so maybe it’s that, but otherwise you’ve got me.

I do think you hit Velazquez at a bad moment. Even in the afternoon before the proper dinner service starts, there are normally hot fish and chicken dishes next to the tomato sauce and rice you mention above, and I always enjoy the salads.

In my personal ranking, I’d put Velazquez between GC and GF, which as a combined Sapphire/Emerald lounge, is what I’d expect. I’m rarely in LHR GCs, though recently found myself in the often-lauded T5B GC (admittedly at breakfast-time), and was seriously underwhelmed (poor food choices and crowded). I guess timing matters.

The one area where BA lounges do consistently score higher than many others is alcohol provision, if that’s your thing (I do drink, but not a lot in lounges unless I find something good).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
IB all the way for me, although with Speedbird 100 BA has the edge on beer selection. I find myself going out of my way to fly via MAD so I can visit the lounges there, whereas I'll often turn up late at LHR and just head to the gate to avoid the lounge zoos at T5.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

[My bold above]

Well, different strokes for different folks and all that, but that one baffles me. I’m struggling to think of any aspect in which I’d consider the BA TXL lounge is equal to Velazquez, never mind “far superior”. I don’t ever drink alcohol at TXL, so maybe it’s that, but otherwise you’ve got me.

I do think you hit Velazquez at a bad moment. Even in the afternoon before the proper dinner service starts, there are normally hot fish and chicken dishes next to the tomato sauce and rice you mention above, and I always enjoy the salads.

In my personal ranking, I’d put Velazquez between GC and GF, which as a combined Sapphire/Emerald lounge, is what I’d expect. I’m rarely in LHR GCs, though recently found myself in the often-lauded T5B GC (admittedly at breakfast-time), and was seriously underwhelmed (poor food choices and crowded). I guess timing matters.

The one area where BA lounges do consistently score higher than many others is alcohol provision, if that’s your thing (I do drink, but not a lot in lounges unless I find something good).
I'm pretty close to this view. I too cannot see any possible ground to see the BA TXL lounge as equivalent (let alone superior) to Velazquez. I find Velazquez generally nicer than GC and less good than GF (and Dali weaker than both), but of course, it all depends on what you look at. As you say, BA has much nicer drinks than the two IB lounges. Conversely, both IB lounges have much nicer showers than the whole BA offering bar the cabanas. BA has more international press available but Velazquez has better places to rest. The food at Veazquez is in my view of better quality than GC. You get more "real food" s opposed to slop. By contrast, GF wins thanks to a small but valuable element of made to order food and it is less "time dependent" (GC has some ghastly moments during the day).

The space is generally nicer in the two IB lounges, but the food offerings at Dali are really quite poor and short of living on gazpacho, mediocre salads, and fuet, the place is best only patronised for the shortest possible amount of time.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I use Velazquez a lot, and I love it. But then I am relatively unfussy on food (and in fact quite like the dried out Paella), don't drink that much on MAD trips, and love the view from the windows.

That said, my one bugbear is I can't seem to find the tubs of Haagen Dasz in there since they did the refurb. Anyone know where they live now? Or am I misremembering and were they only ever in Dali?
I was in the Velasquez lounge last week and I also think it's lovely, spacious, airy, and great views of the runway. I think it's much nicer than the T5 Galleries CW lounges (Never been in the Gallieries First so can't compare).

The Haagen Dasz ice creams were in the buffet area at the far end after turning left into the lounge going past the toilets I.e. at opposite end of lounge to the bar ( I hope that makes sense).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

Oh dear, IB is dreadful !

They are the only airline which has served me wine which I then have gone out and bought - a pedro ximinez sherry, Old & Plus by Romate. It was in the lounges and on the aircraft.

Not only was it £50 for 50cls, but I then went on to try other - non airline - PX sherries and ended up spending £200+ on one that Robert Parker gave 100 points to!

(The only other time was a pink Veuve Cliquot on Thai, but then I had already tasted that)
BA6501 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've never been in a LHR PP lounge. East Midlands had hot pies, pasta and salad. Luton had a pretty decent spread, as did Stansted. I must admit the Aspire in BHX wasn't great for food, but I usually chose that because of the self pour wine, over decent food in the other PP lounge there, with a bar which was barely staffed.

My memory of BA J food is bullet bacon rolls. A slop of some sort of tomato pasta which I'd probably turn down in a school canteen. I'd eat elsewhere in the airport over the BA J lounges which I remember.

This must be a wind up. However, if that's what you enjoy and believe, each to their own.

I've never been to a PP lounge that I would describe the food offering as decent. Some of the No 1 lounges are good, if you can get in, and there's a small selection of reasonable PP lounges dotted around. However, the majority are really poor value, even on a PP that my employer buys for me. I often think that if I'd paid full price entry to some of the lounges, like Aspire at LHR T5, I'd be quite upset.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jed
There is no champagne, only a selection of relatively cheap Spanish wines. It’s been a while since I was in galleries J, but I’m 100% sure BA LHR J lounges are far superior based on the offering.
I was surprised to discover that they do not offer any Cava. I was there at 11am last Saturday and was told that Cava would be available from 1pm...not sure why as they had still wines available. The food was poor. I was rather rather surprised how downhill things went compared to a year ago. I must say that I would not agree that the wines are bad - they were pretty decent - but the food is crap.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There should also be a range of sandwiches, salad items, cheese, ice cream and nibble items. But broadly speaking the IB lounges have about half the food items as Galleries Club, it's more noticeable at breakfast time, particularly if you have Galleries First access. Nor is there is a waiter order menu. Velázquez is still rather better than Dalí too. However these lounges are substantially better than the lounges elsewhere in Europe, where any hot food is the exception. In London, with GF, Cathay, Qatar, Terminal 2 lounges, and Virgin on the go, standards are set relatively high, and you will find similar standards in a few other places (HKG, SYD, MEL, LAX, DOH, JFK). But if your life is around shorter length services away from these hotspots, lounge life is very different from the London experience.
There's pre-flight dining in Velázquez for long-haul business pax.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.