JMK ops

Old Jul 29, 19, 2:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
JMK ops

Wow oh wow is this bus stop of an airport being used a lot!

Delayed over an hour leaving LHR JMK on Thursday 25 July as there were capacity issues at JMK even though we were ready on time and had a slot! The Captain didn't sound too happy about it, anyway we parked on a taxiway and he let us chill in the cockpit a bit so it was a decent hour delay.

It seems pretty much every single plane is at least an hour delayed either arriving or departing, I think they can only park 4-5 A320 size aircraft at any time so this is where the issue is, and no taxiway after landing, you have to backtrack off the runway and then turn in, even though the runway is a decent length (1900 m). BA Captain told me only Captains can make the landing at JMK, and it was a First Officer on the flight who looked quite experienced, not a 20 year old 2nd officer who has 200 hours or so.

Anyway now I am flying back to London, but of course I get a message from BA saying the flight is 30 minutes late, but I think it will be quite a bit worse than that, let's see when my plane leaves LCY then I will decide on the beach or not as JMK really isn't an airport you want to be delayed, there is like 1 coffeeshop and a tiny waiting area!(BA said laid inbound arriving aircraft, so issues at LCY as well as JMK.

Yesterdays JMK-LCY got diverted to SEN, hope that doesn't happen to me!

The only benefit of this tiny airport is you literally can arrive 30 minutes before the flight departs as its about 20 meters from the entrance to the 'gate'.

Oh and my 50% lottery didn't work, I wanted a window seat but am HBO and they gave me an aisle seat, i guess I'll go to the desk and ask for a window seat, I am not paying 19 GBP!
Or board last and chance it then, I know they don't load the E190 to 100%.
ppp909 likes this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 5,700
You don't pay for seats on HBO with status ?
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:14 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
You don't pay for seats on HBO with status ?
I'm Blue (da be de da ba dai)
YacozA and nancypants like this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:19 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,282
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
You don't pay for seats on HBO with status ?
Funnily enough, not everyone on BA, or even this forum, has status, though it does sometimes feel otherwise......

However I suspect that the OP is right, that during at least the cruise he will be able to sit at one of the rear empty blocked seats, so getting a rearwards aisle seat would be sensible. The views departing JMK are extremely good so you do really want a front or rear window seat to get a good view.

Elsewhere I've reported the Eurocontrol Tactical Update, and at this time of year - indeed many other times of the year - the Greek airports regularly feature as having either ATC constraints, presumably too many aircraft for ATC resources; and / or as the OP suggests, there are bus stations more upmarket than some regional Greek airports - they don't have much in the way of facilities. That said, Fraport seems to be doing a good job in bringing improvements to these airports.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:36 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Funnily enough, not everyone on BA, or even this forum, has status, though it does sometimes feel otherwise......

However I suspect that the OP is right, that during at least the cruise he will be able to sit at one of the rear empty blocked seats, so getting a rearwards aisle seat would be sensible. The views departing JMK are extremely good so you do really want a front or rear window seat to get a good view.

Elsewhere I've reported the Eurocontrol Tactical Update, and at this time of year - indeed many other times of the year - the Greek airports regularly feature as having either ATC constraints, presumably too many aircraft for ATC resources; and / or as the OP suggests, there are bus stations more upmarket than some regional Greek airports - they don't have much in the way of facilities. That said, Fraport seems to be doing a good job in bringing improvements to these airports.
I think the main issue with JMK is size (as in no place to physically park so many planes they schedule on the busiest weekend of the year).

Even worse is the fact that the Priority Pass lounge is closed this year for refurbishment! I'll just go as late as i can without risking missing the flight!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,676
I like JMK, it has one of the quickest excellent beach to airport car hire drop offs in the world.
Being diverted to SEN is only a little inconvenience for me.
On a summer Saturday BA/CJ has a few flights leaving to the UK, they really need to do something for status and CE passengers pre-flight.
richardwft is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:11 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 68
I think the BA flights from Manchester are having the exact same problem.
demolineux is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from EMA
Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Posts: 5,228
Kefalonia is similar, although it will be interesting this year as the new terminal has opened so it's less of a bus stop. Fraport are making the apron bigger, which is a good job really because you could only get 4 A320/737 sized aircraft on there at any one time. There are regular inbound delays due to the space restrictions. However the problem with a lot of the small island airports is that they are literally built on the only flat bit of land on the entire island, so they've made do with what they have even if it means no taxiways and you have to do a quick 180 at the end of the runway and trundle back down it. EFL, JMK and JSI are just 3 examples of this.
Tiger_lily is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:57 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Posts: 1,106
Par for the course operating into Greek islands in the summer, has been for many years! I'm actually surprised that is the first time that late Sunday flight hasn't made it in this year, though one rotation did end up in Manchester at 11pm earlier in the week after a 4hr delay
sammyg901 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:04 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
So far so good plane is 30 minutes or so away so looking at a 30 minute delay. I know when the plane is here they want to get rid of it ASAP so they donít take up space for too long.

also managed to get a window seat at check in counter, the lady said there is no space at all and I said but the plane isnít fully loaded then she said if you donít believe me check the screen yourself and I pointed out 25A being empty so she gave me that!

no 19 GBP for me!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:05 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
I like JMK, it has one of the quickest excellent beach to airport car hire drop offs in the world.
Being diverted to SEN is only a little inconvenience for me.
On a summer Saturday BA/CJ has a few flights leaving to the UK, they really need to do something for status and CE passengers pre-flight.
yes my swimsuit is still wet I was at the beach less than an hour ago
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:26 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,538
Ok so there were 2 25As and the other guy was a gold. They had a call with the CSM and suddenly he became 2D! Was that a last minute upgrade at the very end by the CSM?
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:41 am
  #13  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,282
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Ok so there were 2 25As and the other guy was a gold. They had a call with the CSM and suddenly he became 2D! Was that a last minute upgrade at the very end by the CSM?
That would be my interpretation. It happens, if someone is best moved, as here, then shiny cards can be useful.
george77300 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 682
Despite being of Hellenic extraction and going there loads, I've only ever flown to Athens (including the old one). This changes in four weeks when I go to JMK. To be honest, the OP's description is about what I'm expecting - despite being popular, Mykonos is a small island. I'm also fully expecting an army of little old Greek ladies, elbows out, barging to the front of the queue, stopping only to ruffle my children's hair and call them koukla.

I'm rather looking forward to it.

Regarding seats, I've gone for A-C on the way out and D-F on the way back. I'm hoping for views of Andros and Tinos. Advice from the regulars would be helpful.
ppp909 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yorkshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
Kefalonia is similar, although it will be interesting this year as the new terminal has opened so it's less of a bus stop. Fraport are making the apron bigger, which is a good job really because you could only get 4 A320/737 sized aircraft on there at any one time. There are regular inbound delays due to the space restrictions. However the problem with a lot of the small island airports is that they are literally built on the only flat bit of land on the entire island, so they've made do with what they have even if it means no taxiways and you have to do a quick 180 at the end of the runway and trundle back down it. EFL, JMK and JSI are just 3 examples of this.
Blenheim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread