FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Flight change due to illness (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1980377-flight-change-due-illness.html)

South London Bon Viveur Jul 27, 2019 10:10 am

Flight change due to illness

I have a flight to Toronto later this week where the outbound sector does not permit any changes. It's a personal trip not work. Unfortunately due to a family member falling ill and requiring surgery, I will need to fly out later. So it looks like I have no option but to miss the outbound and book a single ticket to fly out later. However if I do that I'm worried that the return flight, which I still intend to take will be automatically cancelled. Also a single flight booked is probably going to cost a fortune, so I wonder if cancelling the whole trip and re-booking is better?

Does anyone one have any advice on how I can best manage this?

Thanks in advance.

HighwayToHEL Jul 27, 2019 10:15 am

Yes, your return would be cancelled. I would phone BA, they can be flexible in unexpected circumstances like this.

TTmex Jul 27, 2019 10:21 am

Yes. Call BA. My wife's aunt passed away and they offered free rebook based on availability.

SteveF Jul 27, 2019 10:21 am

I suggest contacting your travel insurance before you do anything drastic like cancelling or no-showing the outbound. If you do intend to skip the outbound you should contact BA before the event to explain the situation and see what they are prepared to do. One thing's for certain; if you don't do anything the return will be cancelled.

lavajava Jul 27, 2019 10:23 am

Hopefully this is a normal flight booking rather than a BA holiday. If flight only, BA may provide you some flexibility however If it's a holiday then you are unlikely to get any flexibility apart from changes per fare/booking rules. All the best trying to sort out :)

Travel insurance would be your next step after this.

Nephoi Jul 27, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL (Post 31348616)
Yes, your return would be cancelled. I would phone BA, they can be flexible in unexpected circumstances like this.

been there, done that. Called German hotline in Bremen. Never experienced such help and understanding before...

cbagent Jul 27, 2019 11:08 am

Call BA...there will be a number of options they can look at to assist you.

KeaneJohn Jul 27, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 31348633)
Hopefully this is a normal flight booking rather than a BA holiday. If flight only, BA may provide you some flexibility however If it's a holiday then you are unlikely to get any flexibility apart from changes per fare/booking rules. All the best trying to sort out :)

Travel insurance would be your next step after this.

BA cancelled a holiday for my parents when my dad was taken I’ll shortly before travel. They froze the booking and said if new arrangements were cheaper a refund would be made and if new arrangements were most expensive the difference should be paid and travel had to be within a year of booking.

melissafalbo Jul 27, 2019 11:27 am

If you have make your trip through a travel agency so I will suggest you that you should first contact them and tell them all scenario. They will give you better solution because for them this is a kind of routine work and this will be better for you as well.

Often1 Jul 27, 2019 11:37 am

Start by reading your travel insurance policy. Do not rely on what their agents tell you over the phone. If this is a covered event, you will receive a cash payment for the ticket.

You could then phone BA to see what the options are and then make a decision as to the least expensive option.

lavajava Jul 27, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn (Post 31348784)

BA cancelled a holiday for my parents when my dad was taken I’ll shortly before travel. They froze the booking and said if new arrangements were cheaper a refund would be made and if new arrangements were most expensive the difference should be paid and travel had to be within a year of booking.

I don't think this can be taken for granted. My mother in law broke her hip 2 weeks before a BA holiday to Morocco this month. BA Holidays offered no such flexibility.

South London Bon Viveur Jul 27, 2019 6:40 pm

Appreciate the helpful responses. This is a booking through BA.com, but will speak to BA and see what they say. Thanks again.