Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I do not understand why there is a belief the PAX in the middlemseatvwould be Y.PAX. I think it would either be CE PAX from other flighta, or a condensed CE cabin with more people behind the curtain.

And yes, while i would be sympathetic and understanding, I would also be hoping for some level compensation from BA, as suggested an upgrade to CE voucher for a future flight wouks seem fitting
ET pax could be upgraded to CE but no meal loaded as they were a last minute upgrade.

Totally agree with BA here - in this kind of situation you have to use your resources effectively. Equally, a small customer service gesture made proactively could take the sting out of it and reduce likelihood of people seeking legal redress.
Kgmm77, LTN Phobia and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't BA advertise the blocked middle seat as a major difference between coach and business class on intraEU flights?

If AF were to replace an aircraft with a business class cabin by one that's all coach in order to carry more passengers (regardless of the reason), I would expect a refund even if those with "business" tickets are given meals. Similarly, in the USA, if DL were to lease an aircraft from Southwest (so that there's no longer a business class cabin) or swap a CRJ-200 (all coach but 2-2) for a CRJ-700 (coach 2-2 but a FC cabin with 1-2 seating), I would certainly insist on a refund, regardless of the F&B offerings.

ADDED: AFAIK EC261 requires downgrade compensation (as well as duty of care) regardless ot the reason, even in "extraordinary" circumstances such as weather (or a strike--maybe BA is practicing this maneuver........).
BA appear to get away with unblocked seating every day of the week in CE ex LCY. Same seat, same config as Y. Only the service differs. While I would like to think suitable service recovery would be forthcoming, especially if confined to a middle CE seat on a full flight, I personally wouldn't bank on it happening automatically. Not unless a MCOL was issued which invites BA to test the theory in court..... Which we all know they'll never do.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
This is all computer generated. There isn't a human sitting there putting in high prices to screw you over.

That would be the existing filed price of a Full Y fare. Due to the disruption, planes are filling up and the revenue optimisation robots are closing out the cheapest fare buckets.

It's what naturally happens as planes fill, regardless of the disruption, and in these cases actually helps as it disuades new bookings. The inventory remains available for stranded customers, who get rebooked on their existing tickets and don't pay any more.
I guess that's what miffs me somewhat. BA want understanding and good faith but equally are taking advantage of a miserable situation to milk ss much as they can from their passengers. I wouldn't mind if it was a two way street.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by u01sss3
I guess that's what miffs me somewhat. BA want understanding and good faith but equally are taking advantage of a miserable situation to milk ss much as they can from their passengers. I wouldn't mind if it was a two way street.
Offering cheap tickets would only mean less seats being available for those who have been disrupted I would have thought.
flygirl68, wrp96, mda03jb and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Offering cheap tickets would only mean less seats being available for those who have been disrupted I would have thought.
Indeed. It only restricts new reservations to those prepared to pay full fare. Essentially these new reservations will hamper BA in reducing the backlog of delayed passengers. Existing reservations experiencing distress would be covered under the airlines rebook policy into the lowest available booking class for the cabin purchased. Therefore even if you're on a cheap as chips O class ticket which has suffered cancellation of a flight, you're generally able to rebook into Y class if that's the lowest Economy fare showing available on the service which you wish to rebook to.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Other than today’s BA348 to NCE are there any other flights similarly affected?
I operated the BA356 LHR-NCE. That was the same with the 6-abreast CE product.

champ
Prospero likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by champair79

I operated the BA356 LHR-NCE. That was the same with the 6-abreast CE product.

champ
Was there the standard CE F&B service? If so, was every CE passenger able to get a meal?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there the standard CE F&B service? If so, was every CE passenger able to get a meal?
I believe it was all standard CE service and the aircraft was suitably catered for the increased CE load.

champ
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Ridiculous to see people arguing that this is not a downgrade. The CE experience is all about the space - if that doesn't get delivered a M&S style ready meal is hardly worth a few hundred Ł.

BA did the same thing during a Christmas snow chaos in the late 2000s. Back then it was described honestly, with an apology for the downgrade and a refund of the fare difference. That would translate to EU261 these days.

We should not confuse compassion with fellow travellers with allowing BA to take money for services that were not provided.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:54 am

One way BA could raise revenues in the future is to promise to “aim but not guarantee” to block middle seats in CE.

Basically, instead of blocking middle seats for golds and silvers at the back, keep pushing the curtain further back, and pack ET as much as possible.

Once the curtain can not go further back, start filling middle seats.

I flew on SAS Plus (kinda like Business class) on short-haul and this is exactly what they do.
cauchy likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Ridiculous to see people arguing that this is not a downgrade. The CE experience is all about the space.
Of course it is not a downgrade entirely.
Space may be the most important feature for you, but CE has many other like food and drinks, priority boarding, lounge access, extra luggage allowance and so on.

BA should offer some avios as a compensation. Certainly not EC261.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Wow this thread got some traction! Appreciate all the replies! So currently made it to Nice and believe it or not they didn’t do anything in the end! The service ran as planned..... I guess maybe the logistics of the whole thing was too much to sort! Or it was a random automated text! Did anyone else on here experience this yesterday?
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
One way BA could raise revenues in the future is to promise to “aim but not guarantee” to block middle seats in CE.

Basically, instead of blocking middle seats for golds and silvers at the back, keep pushing the curtain further back, and pack ET as much as possible.

Once the curtain can not go further back, start filling middle seats.

I flew on SAS Plus (kinda like Business class) on short-haul and this is exactly what they do.
There's clearly a reason BA in slashing mode haven't done that yet - that decision would have to be weighed up carefully and even then I'm not 100% certain it would definitely raise revenue. Obviously all passengers are different, but I pay for CE on basically every short haul flight and there are only two reasons I do that: i) guaranteed blocked middle seat (most important) and ii) access to row 1 (secondary benefit). If you take away the guaranteed blocked middle seat and replace it with chance, I can guarantee you'll be losing some CE customers like myself. Presumably you could make up enough revenue from the extra seat sales to cover that, but it has to be weighed against the fact CE passengers may be willing to pay less or even not travel CE at all as a result. Obviously there are connecting passengers to consider too, who may be inclined to take a competitor that retains a guaranteed blocked middle seat as a result.
SKT-DK, wrp96, RockyRobin and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EC261 would not apply as this is due to issues outside their control.
What a bull!
EC261 downgrade refund applies regardless what has caused the downgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Wash your mouth out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.