Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some flight cancellations out of LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Hasn't there been some ATC issues today that could well have contributed to these issues?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49122644

A "technical problem" at Swanwick air traffic control centre on Friday morning also caused problems at Heathrow and Gatwick.

The UK's air traffic controller said in the afternoon it had "fixed the issue sufficiently to safely increase traffic flow rates and will see an improving picture through the rest of the day".

European air traffic co-ordinating agency Eurocontrol said the problem was caused by an "issue with radar displays
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by binman
And once again the abuse of the LHR GLA monopoly leads to all but one of Friday nights flights being cancelled and no alternative being offered till Saturday night!
I agree that 2 of tonight 3 LHR to GLA flights have been cancelled.

Those are the only flights from lhr to gla that have been cancelled today.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
@binman, I realise you may have been too busy to catch up with today’s travel news. There are multiple disruptions affecting UK flights today: operational recoveries following last night’s storms plus NATS issues at Swanwick earlier today. EasyJet cancelled two thirds of its LGW-GLA ops today.

I hope you (and others) get on your way soon
Perhaps rather than spouting the BA media line you have a look, as I have done at the disruption at BRU FRA CDG AMS DUS. It is non existent! Indeed the only cancellations I could see were those of BA. Are people sleeping in the terminals of those airports. No. (based on what I can see on the various local media outlets.) Only in T5. I get NATS had a short term but serious issue but to continue blaming weather is pathetic.

There is no snow, fog, rain wind lightning,hurricanes or tornadoes today. Blaming yesterdays weather for their operational incompetence and ineptitude is ridiculous. It happens every time. The weather was forecast yesterday, take action yesterday to prevent this continuous nonsense of such events running for days and days.

This is a failing airline operationally that has a comprehensive stranglehold on LHR and a monopoly on some routes. This needs to be challenged and ended.

I probably would not have minded nearly as much about the latest farce had their rebooking and compensation policy been clear, unambiguous and swift. The IT does not work. The link to accept the flight I was rebooked on (almost 24 hours later), failed repeatedly asking for my exec number when I was logged in. You could not pass or circumvent this and so you have to call..........and wait and wait and wait.
The call centre staff are robots, devoid of empathy, understanding or a clue. Aldi and Lidle wouldn't have them.

There is no policy in place for refunds of pre booked hotels, cars and experiences simply no assistance or indeed guidance beyond call CR. I can't get home so where do I stay this evening, how much can I spend, they can tell you nothing.

In contrast my insurers were immediately reassuring and generous. First Class rail travel was offered including the Caledonian sleeper. Given the trains are in full meltdown I passed on this too

Driving was an option but in the end I have cancelled the weekend and will claim it all from BA. god help us we have other flights in a week so let's hope there isn't a light drizzle or stiff breeze in the 7 days ahead.
cauchy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Cool

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I agree that 2 of tonight 3 LHR to GLA flights have been cancelled.

Those are the only flights from lhr to gla that have been cancelled today.
Not much consolation if you were on the last flight of the day!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

@binman, AF, KL, and LH all cancelled flights out of LHR today
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Not much consolation if you were on the last flight of the day!
I do understand it is frustrating if your flight is cancelled.

I have been on the receinng end of lhr gla cancellations in the past .

Gla gets hit as there are options, i have been rerouted to EDI which really does not work for me so I end up in a hotel

LH cancelled 2 of their MUC to LHR today. its a similar frequency

LH has
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Binman it seems the easy way to avoid your frustrations is to use another airline that isn’t affected by weather and ATC. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Perhaps rather than spouting the BA media line you have a look, as I have done at the disruption at BRU FRA CDG AMS DUS. It is non existent! Indeed the only cancellations I could see were those of BA. Are people sleeping in the terminals of those airports. No. (based on what I can see on the various local media outlets.) Only in T5. I get NATS had a short term but serious issue but to continue blaming weather is pathetic.
easyJet had 3 services today between LGW and GLA, two of the three cancelled, Two of the three STN services are badly delayed. Ditto with the 3 Stansted services. Ryanair and Flybe have also cancelled services today, include in the case of Flybe services to Glasgow. KLM has cancelled a lot of services out of Schiphol today, including to GOT, KIX, CPH, BCN, CFE, LHR, MXP, LIN, FLR, VCE, and the departure board is currently a sea of red delayed departures - further cancellations will be inevitable. So I don't think this stacks up.

For the cancelled services, you will get a full refund. For the hotels and experiences, it depends if they were booked either by BA, BA Holidays or via a travel agent. If you booked them separately / directly, then hotels and experiences would be regarded as consequential losses, so BA won't be paying for those items, that should be directed at your travel insurers.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
easyJet had 3 services today between LGW and GLA, two of the three cancelled, Two of the three STN services are badly delayed. Ditto with the 3 Stansted services. Ryanair and Flybe have also cancelled services today, include in the case of Flybe services to Glasgow. KLM has cancelled a lot of services out of Schiphol today, including to GOT, KIX, CPH, BCN, CFE, LHR, MXP, LIN, FLR, VCE, and the departure board is currently a sea of red delayed departures - further cancellations will be inevitable. So I don't think this stacks up.

For the cancelled services, you will get a full refund. For the hotels and experiences, it depends if they were booked either by BA, BA Holidays or via a travel agent. If you booked them separately / directly, then hotels and experiences would be regarded as consequential losses, so BA won't be paying for those items, that should be directed at your travel insurers.
and yet, if I pitched up on a sunny day at LHR and had broken down, been in a traffic jam or indeed had one of the party break a limb, then I carry the costs.

BA dumps hundreds of flights for no apparent reason and I carry the costs also. I had Ł1200 extorted from me last year to allow travel and it took 3 months to obtain the refund without apology. This is corporate greed gone rouge.

But the unofficial media outlet that is flyertalk defends this behaviour at every turn, in every situation. Pathetic doesn’t begin to describe it.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Swampz64
Binman it seems the easy way to avoid your frustrations is to use another airline that isn’t affected by weather and ATC. Let us know how you get on.
they have a monopoly on LHR GLA!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
@binman, AF, KL, and LH all cancelled flights out of LHR today
but not out of Europe. My point is that weather yesterday is being blamed for today’s chaos. It’s simply is not true. One look st the departure boards of major European hubs demonstrates this.

ATC failure here is a different matter and responsible for today’s domestic and European issues for BA and others. The others however have lower levels of disruption today because of actions taken yesterday.

senor Cruz in his gilets jaunes is capable of directing traffic perhaps, but there is absolutely no operation expertise.

An inch of snow, high winds or any form of forecast meteorological event results in days of disruption because the initial forecasts are ignored and there is an aggressive approach to ops that never works but is always repeated.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

but not out of Europe. My point is that weather yesterday is being blamed for today’s chaos. It’s simply is not true. One look st the departure boards of major European hubs demonstrates this.

ATC failure here is a different matter and responsible for today’s domestic and European issues for BA and others. The others however have lower levels of disruption today because of actions taken yesterday.

senor Cruz in his gilets jaunes is capable of directing traffic perhaps, but there is absolutely no operation expertise.

An inch of snow, high winds or any form of forecast meteorological event results in days of disruption because the initial forecasts are ignored and there is an aggressive approach to ops that never works but is always repeated.
Easy solution to your rants: don't fly.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

@binman. Yes, out of Europe
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
But the unofficial media outlet that is flyertalk defends this behaviour at every turn, in every situation. Pathetic doesn’t begin to describe it.
It really isn't a matter of defending BA, since an organisation external to BA is limiting the airline's operations, and there isn't much BA can do about it, they can't take to the skies without clearance. Nor would anyone rationally want them to do so. There are essentially 3 problems, overload due to the time of year, weather issues in the North Sea basin (which is affecting airflows badly at the moment) and the incident at the NATS Swanwick Control Centre. I reproduce the Eurocontrol Tactical Update for 18:00 hrs below.
General

Widespread CB activity affecting the network. Details below.

Airports

EGKK (London Gatwick)
High delays for arrivals due to ATC Equipment (issue with RADAR displays) until 2400 UTC.

EGLL (London Heathrow)
Moderate delays for arrivals due to ATC Equipment (issue with RADAR displays) until 2400 UTC.

LFBD (Bordeaux)
Moderate delays for arrivals due to capacity.

Greek Airports
Moderate to high delays for LGAV (Athens), LGMK (Mykonos), LGSA (Chania), LGIR (Heraklion) arrivals due to ATC Capacity.

Airspace

EDGG (Langen,) EDMM (Munich,) EDUU (Karlsruhe) and EDWW (Bremen)
Moderate to high delays due to Weather (CBs).

LDZO (Zagreb)
Moderate delays in several sectors due to ATC Capacity and Weather (CB).

LECB (Barcelona)
High delays in Central sector due to CB activity.

LFBB (Bordeaux,) LFFF (Paris,) LFMM (Marseille)
Several sectors affected by CBs. Moderate to high delays.

LHCC (Budapest)
Moderate to high delays in several sectors due to ATC Capacity and Weather (CB).

LOVV (Vienna)
High delays in several sectors due to ATC Capacity, Staffing and Weather (CB).

LSAZ (Zurich)
Several sectors regulated due to CB activity.
High delays.

NMOC Brussels

But there may be things that BA, your insurers, FT, other forums, other airlines, can do or advise, so as to make it right. The problems at LHR seem to be easing, and LGW may be getting back to normal too from tomorrow. So by all means identify if something other than cancellation of the whole trip can be done, to get you back on track. It's not great being disrupted by these things, I was also impacted too and had an unexpected night in London yesterday, but as with many things in life one needs to pick up the pieces and try to make sense of what to do next.
golfmad, TravelManBiz and volar like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Oh Dear. You are so much more patient than me. There is just no reasoning with some people. Poor old Binmans weekend is wrecked and it’s going to be BA’s fault as they have the monopoly. This much is true. From Heathrow this is of course. I know that a friend was stranded for hours, with an overnight stop at an IBIS, for a simple hop to Norwich. This was KLM, I believe.

Still, for some BA are to blame for everything under the sun, and nothing will persuade them otherwise despite what more pragmatic council might urge. It’s rotten luck that flight was the one cancelled and I do feel for anyone in this situation. I suspect that a lot of the delays were due to crew being out of position as the days delays built up. As crew failed to return to base their rostered flights then it might not be known until quite a short time out that there were insufficient pilots what cabin crew to man further flights
flygirl68 and RoyalSwazi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.