Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The local time is: five past eight.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DominicB
As a Brit now living in the USA, if BA made such announcements using the 24-hour clock, they would confuse all their US clientele. I have been amazed to see highly intelligent and educated Americans struggle to understand this way of telling the time.
On my first trip to California I was approached by someone asking the time.

I wasnt sure if it was obvious I wasnt American, worried about my accent. It quarter past nine I replied. Blank faces. Nine fifteen my next response. They got it.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:25 am

I'm sure there are digital watches available that tell the time in the 24hr format that should fit the original posters requirements...
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
You couldn't go wrong with " At the third stroke the time will be eight oh five exactly beep beep beep, at the third stroke...."
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:02 am

The thing that used to annoy me until I got a smartwatch was that the time cited is often several minutes out. Yeah, it may not matter in the overall scheme of things, but if you are resetting your watch it matters! And it's not like the crew doesn't have very accurate time information.

Now I don't have to adjust my watch so it bothers me less, but I still see it happening.

And I'm with those who say leave it the way it is. Most Americans simply can't handle "military time" and they are far from alone in that.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
The threads people think up on here never cease to amaze
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Grief, how ridiculous. Who on earth speaks in 24 hours clock time? If you’re too daft to understand 2.15 is 2.15 the afternoon if it is the afternoon and not 2.15 in the morning, then should you be out travelling without a chaperone? I use the 24 hour clock in the car and the house, but until the BBC start calling it the 18 hundred hours news, then so shall I and not before.
And similarly it could be argued that anyone too daft to understand what 21:15 means should not be let out on journeys without a chaperone.

Lots of countries speak in 24 hour times. When sending my arrival time to hotels, I mostly find that writing in 24 hour terminology makes it far more clear. 2:15 is an unclear arrival time, 14:15 is very clear. Talking about current time no problem, talking about future time points, less straight forward.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Reminds me of this absolutely brilliant piece by comedian Dave Allen trying to teach his kid how to tell the time. They don’t make comedians like that any more.

squawk likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And similarly it could be argued that anyone too daft to understand what 21:15 means should not be let out on journeys without a chaperone.

Lots of countries speak in 24 hour times. When sending my arrival time to hotels, I mostly find that writing in 24 hour terminology makes it far more clear. 2:15 is an unclear arrival time, 14:15 is very clear. Talking about current time no problem, talking about future time points, less straight forward.
i write using the 24 hour clock too but I don’t speak it, and I know from experience I not alone in making that distinction however weird it may seem to many!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Slow day at the office today?

Randomness level 9000.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I use 24 hour clock for my work schedule. On a trip abroad I simply let my phone tell me the time ( displayed as 24 hour clock) , or my GPS watch, I take no notice of the cabin crew announcement.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

It could. However, by what is mentioned here, no one much in the USA should be allowed out. Mention 21.15 to them and see how far that gets.you. However, as we were discussing present time, rather than future time (landing time) you rather confirm what I was saying n
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Sealink
I personally dislike the casual "five past eight" style. 24 hour clock is used online and at airports so no reason why crew should not.
If someone stopped you in T5 and asked the time, would you really look at your watch and reply "It's twenty oh five" ?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jul 26, 2019 at 2:43 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA235
While I’m personally very comfortable with the 24 hour clock, I’m put in mind of the old tale about a passenger asking the time of the last train to Henley (or wherever it was) and, having being told 22:11, turning up at Paddington at 10:30pm only to find it long gone.
It is actually very clever and funny. 22:11= Twenty to Eleven = 10:40PM (22:40)...haha
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:27 am

When I’m doing the announcements, for say 21:15, I would say “it’s 15 minutes past 9 in the evening”. For 20:45, “15 minutes to 9 in the evening”. My ex H is very familiar with the 24 hour clock because of his job, but my bf can’t handle it at all.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I once overheard the following conversation between a non-native English speaker and an American. Guess who was who.

Q: Are you on holiday?
A: No, I’m on vacation.
PUCCI GALORE and florens like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.