Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Significant weather-related disruption to BA services, Thu evening 26 Jul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant weather-related disruption to BA services, Thu evening 26 Jul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have a feeling the weather may explain the shortage of crew. But to answer your question, there aren't firm timelines here, but they do expect to shut T5 at some point around midnight normally, so I can't see them being held there until 05:00 hrs, even if that is what the app is saying. Personally I'd book your spouse a hotel and get her rebooked to tomorrow. In that order. I know there are hotels going, at the moments the rates aren't too high.
I offered her a hotel, but she's done, and just wants to get home.

She was told to hang around while they worked out what they would do with her flight, and I then put a call into someone and matters were escalated - so she should now have some new BPs, and will be with me tomorrow lunchtime opposed to late tonight.

Not ideal, and means less time with the toddler, but limited rebooking options due to the sheer number of people also in the same situation.

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Hmm, from your posting, I believe the OH is on a flight tomorrow (Friday).
Doc Copper
I booked my OH onto the 1800 to NCE as a backup for tomorrow, but that would really be a trip in vain - so I believe she is now set to arrive at 1230 with a short stopover.

M
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, EY Plat, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I’m stuck at the gate (boarded and doors closed) on the 109 to DXB. Showing a 6 hour delay to arrival time. LHR hotels appear full...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltus
Hotels, meals (without alcohol) and transport to/from hotels. No extra cash compensation though if it's due to weather. See the EU261 thread for full details, but basically if you book your own hotel up to Ł200/night, you'll probably be able to claim it back without argument.

Edit: and, anachronistically, a phone call I believe, if you need to correspond with the 20th Century.
Cool. Deffo not after compensation as is far from airline's fault. Not sure Krk will have much capacity to book hotels etc. Apparently ground crew clock off soon too
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:45 pm

Does EU261 cover weather related delays?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by acquiescefc
Does EU261 cover weather related delays?
EU261 provides for duty of care in all circumstances, so hotel, meals, transportation. If you are asking if compensation would be provided, then no it would be excluded.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA , HH, PC RA
We are onboard and still at the gate for our 21:15 to DXB on BA109. Now nearly two hours late. First info was a six hour wait , now back to four hours. I’m not hopeful.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:14 pm

It’s bad. Am on BA461 MAD-LHR. Landed 20 mins late at 20:00 but it is now 23:12 and we are just starting to deplane after over three hours of sitting on the tarmac. No food, minimal information updates. I’m assuming there is no compensation for this (heathrow blame storms, I would argue one of the biggest airports in the world should be able to deal with things like this)...
Frustrating evening. God I want a cigarette.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Been on for 3 hours here now at krk. 30 mins until crew are out of hours
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
oh dear guys I feel for all of you

Was in the Anglesea Arms pub in Chelsea today around 7pm and even told my wife that it looks bad towards LHR direction, saw BA planes flying towards LHR the usual way but a few min later planes were flying into different eg.g 180 degrees opposite direction which I found strange. Was severe lightning/ rain though at that time, but cleared up by 8pm. Super humid though now so guess more to come.

All the best though to everyone
BearX220 and TTmex like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Looks like another band moving across the Channel now
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by musical
(heathrow blame storms, I would argue one of the biggest airports in the world should be able to deal with things like this)...
Storms are affecting all airports in the south of England and many airports in Europe. I’m not sure how you think Heathrow can control the weather or the necessary flow/ATC restrictions in place during storms. Compounding the problem is the obvious fact that Heathrow operates at close to full capacity, so it only takes a few delays before there is no space left.
BearX220, flygirl68, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
If only these storms would reach me in West London...I so much need a break from these temperatures!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Voluntarily offloaded myself at midnight having been allowed the choice between that or wait until 3.30 with the aircraft scheduled for departure.

Right choice - half an hour later the email from BA comes through that the flight is delayed overnight. No departure until at least 12 tomorrow due to crew hours. Considering now whether to wait it or to rebook.
PUCCI GALORE and onanisland like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Almost glad that Berlin Tegel has a curfew - was on the 19:20 to Berlin but we were let off at 20:30 as we were going to miss the curfew. As expected, zero assistance on the ground, booked own hotel separately.

Was offered a flight arriving Saturday afternoon as a replacement, which obviously wouldn’t do. Managed to get on an earlier Hamburg flight tomorrow. Already showing as delayed by 2 hours which isn’t ideal.

Have to say, not impressed by BA’s handling of this - no help on the ground and took an hour on the phone to get the replacement flights whilst being told everything was booked and couldn’t get me to Germany.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
BA8768 ZRH->LCY cancelled tonight. Got rebooked onto BA0709 (ZRH->LHR) tomorrow AM, missing a dinner in London, to connect to BA0185 LHR->EWR. Then BA0709 got cancelled (allegedly due to weather but how they can know the weather 8 hours in advance is unknown - presumably actually they couldn't get the plane positioned in time this evening), so now left with a peculiar mish-mash of options the least unattractive of which leaves me at the wrong airport in NYC over 3 hours late after spending many hours in MAD, having missed my London stop off. Will try and persuade the airport tomorrow to put me on Swiss, United or Delta.

I presume BA will argue this was weather (even though a Swiss flight left for LCY almost exactly at the appointed departure time for BA8768 without difficulty and G-LCYL has been sitting doing nothing in LCY all day as far as I can tell) so no compensation will apply for the London segment, but I can't really see how the NYC segment is weather related. They will at least I should hope pay for my dinner tonight and an Uber from JFK to EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.