Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Significant weather-related disruption to BA services, Thu evening 26 Jul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant weather-related disruption to BA services, Thu evening 26 Jul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
We have been deplaned due to crew out of hours.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Out of curiosity, I've been tracking BA1460 TO EDI that has just left. Are the F lounge and other lounges still open at 2300?

Normally the flight curfew is 2230 I think?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
My LHR-OSL (BA 762) is showing as 3+ hours delayed tomorrow -- hoping it operates as there seems to be no other way to get to OSL and I'm on a QR flight from OSL at 16:10!

On the assumption that this is a crew-related delay (EF has no info), can I claim EU261 (assuming 3+ hour late arrival) even though any hypothetical crew delay would be a result of tonight's weather?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the BA delay system is really basic. What is happening is the aircraft scheduled to ;fly your flight tomorrow will be about 3 hours late at the moment. That is then reflected in all future flights for that frame.

I expect some juggling tomorrow, along with some cancelations, to get things as close to normal as possible
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The last hour overhead (on less busy LHR flight path) has been loads of mostly long haul aircraft trying to tippy toe as quiet as possible getting out of LHR. I guess they have been told to get up hard and fast, then cut the throttle.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I got relatively lucky. Only a 70 minute delay on the Iberia A340 flight to Madrid. Stood at the gate for well over an hour after boarding but at least they turned the IFE on. All weather related and rolling delays on the pushback times across the airfield, we were told.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Out of curiosity, I've been tracking BA1460 TO EDI that has just left. Are the F lounge and other lounges still open at 2300?

Normally the flight curfew is 2230 I think?
Theres not actually a curfew at LHR I believe they might charge a surcharge in landing fees to discourage airlines being late. Not sure if they are waived for weather incidents,

Cant speak for the F lounge but in my silver days GC North was open until 11pm when a NCL (and other flights) were delayed.
tomparskate and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:46 pm

Great thanks! I don't think there is a curfew at EDI either as some cargo planes land late at night there
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
It's a mess heee in Poland. Taking a age to sort hotels and there seems to be no order. I assumed golds etc would be called forward. It's just a free for all
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
It's a mess heee in Poland. Taking a age to sort hotels and there seems to be no order. I assumed golds etc would be called forward. It's just a free for all
Have you asked if you can book your own? Check with the rep first but if you have loyalty with a certain hotel or just wanting your bed quickly they may let you book your own and just charge BA the invoice
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by musical
It’s bad. Am on BA461 MAD-LHR. Landed 20 mins late at 20:00 but it is now 23:12 and we are just starting to deplane after over three hours of sitting on the tarmac. No food, minimal information updates. I’m assuming there is no compensation for this (heathrow blame storms, I would argue one of the biggest airports in the world should be able to deal with things like this)...
Frustrating evening. God I want a cigarette.
Yes, by all means, let’s send the ramp and ground crew out while there is a threat of lightning next to a big metal object. How silly of them to hold you on the tarmac for that.
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo

Lightning map is showing some intense activity
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Still a lot of flights departing LHR. Almost 1:30 am.
FR24 only shows 5 left active but not sure how many more will be sent out. Only 3 hours till first arrivals.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
Still a lot of flights departing LHR. Almost 1:30 am.
FR24 only shows 5 left active but not sure how many more will be sent out. Only 3 hours till first arrivals.
Cancelling a Long Haul service can be very costly with knock on effects. If the airlines have been give Carte Blanche with the curfew because of tonight's weather, then I expect if they can rejig their operations to use it, they will.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
My LHR-OSL (BA 762) is showing as 3+ hours delayed tomorrow -- hoping it operates as there seems to be no other way to get to OSL and I'm on a QR flight from OSL at 16:10!

On the assumption that this is a crew-related delay (EF has no info), can I claim EU261 (assuming 3+ hour late arrival) even though any hypothetical crew delay would be a result of tonight's weather?
Flight is now showing on time so presumable BA ops are juggling around however there is more bad weather forecast for Friday. You have a four hour window so should be ok but these are the perils of positioning flights on the day of departure and the importance of a back up plan if things turn south quickly.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Cancelling a Long Haul service can be very costly with knock on effects. If the airlines have been give Carte Blanche with the curfew because of tonight's weather, then I expect if they can rejig their operations to use it, they will.
Yes of course. I was just a little surprised to see so many at this time of the morning.
I havent heard any reports from the terminals yet, but assume it must have been chaotic with so many delays.

Also some late arrivals now from ARN and MPL

Last edited by flylonghaul; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.