Drunkards Onboard

Old Jul 25, 19, 12:33 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 5,607
They must have got drunk in the lounge; no one can get drunk in the drinks during dinner service, they’re certainly very scarce
Dambus and Crampedin13A like this.
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:50 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,432
Originally Posted by Bophopper View Post
For THE worst drunkenness try Glasgow - Ibiza, on Jet2 … …
Isn't that the BEST drunkenness. The worst drunkenness is a half of shandy.
SteveF is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 4:03 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
About 3 months ago I flew BA LHR to DEL codeshare with AA in J. I was queuing for the toilet prior to breakfast when a lady stsrted holding onto me in the queue so she didn’t fall over, she the proceeded to shout loudly that she needed to go ‘pee pee’ and promptly urinated all over the J galley. I will forever remember this J experience 😂
LCY8737 and TTmex like this.
Kdayz is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 4:08 pm
  #19  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,719
Originally Posted by mwalsh View Post
I've personally seen a one drink difference between merry and obnoxious.
I know somebody exactly like that... you know at some point she'll change from being lovely and great fun to.... OMG, who's responsible for getting her home!
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 4:20 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I know somebody exactly like that... you know at some point she'll change from being lovely and great fun to.... OMG, who's responsible for getting her home!
Ha! Mine was a girl too. And then, when it got that one step beyond, people who didn't know her were all like, "Why did you let her get like that?" And I'm all like, "I'm not responsible for this bint!"
mwalsh is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 8:05 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 88
I used to take the 08:25 LCY-ORY quite regularly (now sadly no longer operating). As is typical for a French airport, the EU/non-EU passport queues were always a free-for-all, which meant having the pleasure of mingling for extended periods with the arrivals from an early-morning Moscow flight. The alcoholic vapour emanating from that crowd would probably be classified as borderline life-threatening to the casual breather. And, yes, they were always propping each other up - quite sweet, really.
nd100 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 8:31 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by nd100 View Post
As is typical for a French airport, the EU/non-EU passport queues were always a free-for-all
OT but +1 👍

French airport passport control is always a shambles. Shiny new biometric gates at Lyon last month, all closed and only 2 booths open for all arrivals, sigh!

Back OT now, sorry!
krispy84 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 11:46 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Berkshire
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
Posts: 1,591
Originally Posted by mwalsh View Post
Ha! Mine was a girl too. And then, when it got that one step beyond, people who didn't know her were all like, "Why did you let her get like that?" And I'm all like, "I'm not responsible for this bint!"
Please tell me you are married to her!
oxtailsoup is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:50 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup View Post
Please tell me you are married to her!
Not at all. It was an association event where I was guesting both she and her brother. So while I guess I was supplying their drinks on my tab, we were all just circulating socially. I wasn't keeping an eye on them, and really didn't think it was my responsibility to do so (being adults and all).
oxtailsoup likes this.
mwalsh is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:44 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Getting back to the OP, this is really a British thing rather than a British Airways thing.
There are still a few European countries where it's not socially acceptable to be loud, obnoxious and publicly drunk. Sadly, the UK is so in thrall to the drinks industry and the supermarkets, we haven't noticed how they've transformed our everyday behaviour.
BA should have done better with this particular episode.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Enrique Ponce; Jul 26, 19 at 2:45 pm Reason: Typo
Enrique Ponce is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:50 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Enrique Ponce View Post
Getting back to the OP, this is really a British thing rather than a British Airways thing.
There are still a few European countries where it's not socially acceptable to be loud, obnoxious and publicly drunk. Sadly, the UK is so in thrall to the drinks industry and the supermarkets, we haven't noticed how they've transformed our everyday behaviour.
BA should have done better with this particular episode.
Britons, normally the nicest of people, are the undisputed champions of being loutish drunks, especially when overseas.
nancypants likes this.
rickg523 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 5:38 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brexile in ADB
Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 5,897
I believe you could complain to the CAA about this. It is I believe against regulations to allow a person get get drunk onboard.
Worcester is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:25 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dubai
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by Bophopper View Post
For THE worst drunkenness try Glasgow - Ibiza, on Jet2 … …
i can definitely second this. I’ve flown a lot between DXB and the UK and from the UK to European party destinations but the GLA-IBZ on jet2 (I did the Thursday evening one) was absolutely on another level.

Edit: wasn’t just drunkenness, half the plane had no shame in partaking in Class A’s open for anyone, including the crew to see.
jamesreid978 is online now  
Old Jul 27, 19, 9:45 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 1,946
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Britons, normally the nicest of people, are the undisputed champions of being loutish drunks, especially when overseas.
I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but it wasn't clear to me from the OP that the miscreants were actually British.

Also whilst poor old Spain probably gets the worst share, in certain ski resorts the Brits are better regarded than the Dutch. I've also seen Swedes abroad act like drunken bellends and they're usually about as nice and placid as you can find.
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 10:06 am
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,356
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur View Post

I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but it wasn't clear to me from the OP that the miscreants were actually British.

Also whilst poor old Spain probably gets the worst share, in certain ski resorts the Brits are better regarded than the Dutch. I've also seen Swedes abroad act like drunken bellends and they're usually about as nice and placid as you can find.
and Australians and Russians and Poles and Americans (spring break and Mardi Gras anyone?) etc etc. I honestly wouldn’t fixate on nationalities...
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
orbitmic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread