Sleep Pods in Galleries Club--Yea or Nay

Old Jul 23, 19, 7:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,388
Sleep Pods in Galleries Club--Yea or Nay

A PR blurb about new sleep pods installed at Dulles: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/07/23/sl...rt-arch-group/.

It's possible that Heathrow itself could do this, but given the number of hotels in and around the airport with some attached (as compared with Dulles where the hotels, other than the Marriott, are somewhat remote), I don't know that the airport authority wants to be perceived as competition for the hotels. On the other hand, I don't see that as a factor for BA.

Understanding that such an idea would likely be years away (even with half of the pods installed at Dulles, BA would have to clear 600 sf somewhere and that won't happen within the next couple of years), would this idea make sense for one of the Galleries Club lounges? The concept seems the sleeping equivalent of the current shower situation--small but useful spaces that could alleviate the temptation of some to spread their belongings over a sofa with the intent of catching a brief nap during a long layover. Although a little complex of these would take some space, they still look as if three or four of them could be squished into the space of one of the cabanas in the Concorde Room. And maybe this would be the kind of on-the-ground amenity that would go nicely with the improved onboard Club product.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:59 pm
  #2  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,258
If they installed pods at up to around £50/hour in the BA lounge or even elsewhere, I'd use it from time to time. On some occasions, I have 3 hours between flights which isn't sufficient to go to a hotel and want to nap for 60-90 min.

The CCR day bed isn't to my liking even though it's free, so I'd rather pay for it.
nancypants likes this.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:05 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southampton, UK / Houston, USA
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Posts: 1,349
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
If they installed pods at up to around £50/hour in the BA lounge or even elsewhere, I'd use it from time to time. On some occasions, I have 3 hours between flights which isn't sufficient to go to a hotel and want to nap for 60-90 min.

The CCR day bed isn't to my liking even though it's free, so I'd rather pay for it.
£50 an hour

As if...
Pack, eugegall, watersign and 1 others like this.
BA0197 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:18 pm
  #4  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 21,258
Originally Posted by BA0197 View Post


£50 an hour

As if...
If I want to sleep, I'd want to sleep!

The other day, I messed up and forgot to book an airside hotel at SIN. They were full. I was even prepared to pay £100 for an hour's sleep but no luck since they were plain full (and no luck next door either, as their pods were full).

I found a row of recliners in the snooze area (free, ironically...) and used one of those.

Airports can make good money from my desire for sleep should they wish to pander to it by charging rather richly!
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:39 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Watford Gap
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by BA0197 View Post


£50 an hour

As if...
Does that include a companion?
rapidex, Passmethesickbag and Pack like this.
babats is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze
Posts: 258
Seems of the same ilk as Yotel although potentially designed for naps rather than a decent sleep (given there's no ensuite). Personally I can't sleep in increments of less than around 4 hours but can appreciate it might be useful for those that can grab 20 mins here, 40 mins there etc.
nancypants likes this.
email2markt is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by BA0197 View Post


£50 an hour

As if...
Quite pricey if you compare to the ARN landside day beds which cost £25 for 4 hours. Works wonders for positioning or killing jet lag. I get LHR is more expensive but I would hope for something like 50 for 4 hours.
nancypants likes this.
thebigben is online now  
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by babats View Post
Does that include a companion?
A companion is extra, but they do have a catalogue you can choose one from.
xPositor is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK
Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver
Posts: 48
Finnair have got some 'GoSleep' pods (https://gosleep.fi/) in their HEL business class lounge in amongst the regular chairs and tables, free to use, first come first serve.

Absolutely excellent lounge addition and one I use at every opportunity to try and solve the Europe / Asia jetlag in time that would otherwise be wasted
Arsey00 likes this.
cbyrne92 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:47 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: West Sussex
Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Posts: 592
Last time I checked LGH Galleries Club already had quite a large sleep pod.

The cinema.
Smid likes this.
BillyBleach is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 906
They're great if you're transferring from an early morning arrival.

For those of us based in the UK, probably not so useful.
bhbloke is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 4:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BNE / LHR
Programs: QF Gold
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by BillyBleach View Post
Last time I checked LGH Galleries Club already had quite a large sleep pod.

The cinema.
BA staff need to address this, there is no where else to watch TV. They should get some speakers in above each seat so that the volume can remain low but heard by people in the area.

Also stop people taking their shoes off and lying across the couches. Sometimes the lounge is full and still people taking up 2-3 seats.
nancypants likes this.
davem4 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:44 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,388
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
BA staff need to address this, there is no where else to watch TV. They should get some speakers in above each seat so that the volume can remain low but heard by people in the area.

Also stop people taking their shoes off and lying across the couches. Sometimes the lounge is full and still people taking up 2-3 seats.
This phenomenon was one of the inspirations for my post. I notice this especially as you get far away from the main entrance where you see fewer people than seats taken. Moving 6-12 of those folks into pods might free up 25-30 seats while providing them with better sleeping conditions.

Of course, I wouldn't expect travelers originating in London to use these pods nor would they make much sense for those with less than a two-hour connection. The business case for BA probably works best if there are a significant number of travelers in the lounge at any one time who have connections of three hours or more. "Significant" in this context might still mean no more than 5% of lounge visitors though.
Arsey00 and nancypants like this.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BNE / LHR
Programs: QF Gold
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
This phenomenon was one of the inspirations for my post. I notice this especially as you get far away from the main entrance where you see fewer people than seats taken. Moving 6-12 of those folks into pods might free up 25-30 seats while providing them with better sleeping conditions.

Of course, I wouldn't expect travelers originating in London to use these pods nor would they make much sense for those with less than a two-hour connection. The business case for BA probably works best if there are a significant number of travelers in the lounge at any one time who have connections of three hours or more. "Significant" in this context might still mean no more than 5% of lounge visitors though.
Could put them in the B lounge. I never see that full!
Someone on a long connection has plenty of time to do the walk over / back.
davem4 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:54 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,629
If it stops people sleeping on Lounge sofas, to the disadvantage of everyone lse, Iím all for it.

But a bit cheaper might be more helpful.
LTN Phobia, nancypants and Arsey00 like this.
T8191 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread