Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep Pods in Galleries Club--Yea or Nay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Sleep Pods in Galleries Club--Yea or Nay

A PR blurb about new sleep pods installed at Dulles: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/07/23/sl...rt-arch-group/.

It's possible that Heathrow itself could do this, but given the number of hotels in and around the airport with some attached (as compared with Dulles where the hotels, other than the Marriott, are somewhat remote), I don't know that the airport authority wants to be perceived as competition for the hotels. On the other hand, I don't see that as a factor for BA.

Understanding that such an idea would likely be years away (even with half of the pods installed at Dulles, BA would have to clear 600 sf somewhere and that won't happen within the next couple of years), would this idea make sense for one of the Galleries Club lounges? The concept seems the sleeping equivalent of the current shower situation--small but useful spaces that could alleviate the temptation of some to spread their belongings over a sofa with the intent of catching a brief nap during a long layover. Although a little complex of these would take some space, they still look as if three or four of them could be squished into the space of one of the cabanas in the Concorde Room. And maybe this would be the kind of on-the-ground amenity that would go nicely with the improved onboard Club product.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If they installed pods at up to around £50/hour in the BA lounge or even elsewhere, I'd use it from time to time. On some occasions, I have 3 hours between flights which isn't sufficient to go to a hotel and want to nap for 60-90 min.

The CCR day bed isn't to my liking even though it's free, so I'd rather pay for it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If they installed pods at up to around £50/hour in the BA lounge or even elsewhere, I'd use it from time to time. On some occasions, I have 3 hours between flights which isn't sufficient to go to a hotel and want to nap for 60-90 min.

The CCR day bed isn't to my liking even though it's free, so I'd rather pay for it.
£50 an hour

As if...
Pack, eugegall, watersign and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BA0197

£50 an hour

As if...
If I want to sleep, I'd want to sleep!

The other day, I messed up and forgot to book an airside hotel at SIN. They were full. I was even prepared to pay £100 for an hour's sleep but no luck since they were plain full (and no luck next door either, as their pods were full).

I found a row of recliners in the snooze area (free, ironically...) and used one of those.

Airports can make good money from my desire for sleep should they wish to pander to it by charging rather richly!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC

£50 an hour

As if...
Does that include a companion?
rapidex, Passmethesickbag and Pack like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Seems of the same ilk as Yotel although potentially designed for naps rather than a decent sleep (given there's no ensuite). Personally I can't sleep in increments of less than around 4 hours but can appreciate it might be useful for those that can grab 20 mins here, 40 mins there etc.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald

£50 an hour

As if...
Quite pricey if you compare to the ARN landside day beds which cost £25 for 4 hours. Works wonders for positioning or killing jet lag. I get LHR is more expensive but I would hope for something like 50 for 4 hours.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by babats
Does that include a companion?
A companion is extra, but they do have a catalogue you can choose one from.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Finnair have got some 'GoSleep' pods (https://gosleep.fi/) in their HEL business class lounge in amongst the regular chairs and tables, free to use, first come first serve.

Absolutely excellent lounge addition and one I use at every opportunity to try and solve the Europe / Asia jetlag in time that would otherwise be wasted
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last time I checked LGH Galleries Club already had quite a large sleep pod.

The cinema.
Smid likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
They're great if you're transferring from an early morning arrival.

For those of us based in the UK, probably not so useful.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Last time I checked LGH Galleries Club already had quite a large sleep pod.

The cinema.
BA staff need to address this, there is no where else to watch TV. They should get some speakers in above each seat so that the volume can remain low but heard by people in the area.

Also stop people taking their shoes off and lying across the couches. Sometimes the lounge is full and still people taking up 2-3 seats.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by davem4
BA staff need to address this, there is no where else to watch TV. They should get some speakers in above each seat so that the volume can remain low but heard by people in the area.

Also stop people taking their shoes off and lying across the couches. Sometimes the lounge is full and still people taking up 2-3 seats.
This phenomenon was one of the inspirations for my post. I notice this especially as you get far away from the main entrance where you see fewer people than seats taken. Moving 6-12 of those folks into pods might free up 25-30 seats while providing them with better sleeping conditions.

Of course, I wouldn't expect travelers originating in London to use these pods nor would they make much sense for those with less than a two-hour connection. The business case for BA probably works best if there are a significant number of travelers in the lounge at any one time who have connections of three hours or more. "Significant" in this context might still mean no more than 5% of lounge visitors though.
Arsey00 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This phenomenon was one of the inspirations for my post. I notice this especially as you get far away from the main entrance where you see fewer people than seats taken. Moving 6-12 of those folks into pods might free up 25-30 seats while providing them with better sleeping conditions.

Of course, I wouldn't expect travelers originating in London to use these pods nor would they make much sense for those with less than a two-hour connection. The business case for BA probably works best if there are a significant number of travelers in the lounge at any one time who have connections of three hours or more. "Significant" in this context might still mean no more than 5% of lounge visitors though.
Could put them in the B lounge. I never see that full!
Someone on a long connection has plenty of time to do the walk over / back.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If it stops people sleeping on Lounge sofas, to the disadvantage of everyone lse, I’m all for it.

But a bit cheaper might be more helpful.
LTN Phobia, nancypants and Arsey00 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.