Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep Pods in Galleries Club--Yea or Nay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
If it stops people sleeping on Lounge sofas, to the disadvantage of everyone lse, I’m all for it.

But a bit cheaper might be more helpful.
On a serious note (about time I try to stop being facetious from time to time*), LX SEN lounge at ZRH (I'm pretty sure that's where they are, although someone may be able to correct me if not) has a sleeping area with comfortable recliners with screens for each of them and it tells people to put their phone on silent so that everyone can get some quiet time.

No extra charge for them. They really are excellent, and you don't see people sleeping anywhere else in the lounge.
They don't take up a huge amount of space if they do it right, and can be a good addition, as well as having the benefit of discouraging unsightly conduct of sleeping on sofas, including, in particular, those with feet on the armrests.

*I still would pay whatever it takes within reason for a quiet, comfortable place for a nap that doesn't impact on anyone else - I would never dream of hogging a sofa for a nap, for instance
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Didn't there used to be 'quiet rooms' in the old T1 or T4 lounges? I seem to recall there being something like that at either in times gone by. Come to think of it, I also remember being disappointed that BA did not put one in when T5 opened up.

Or maybe it was all just a dream

H
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Nope... Not for me.

I spent way too many hours in crew bunks which look too similar to those to know that I would not like them at all...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Nope... Not for me.

I spent way too many hours in crew bunks which look too similar to those to know that I would not like them at all...
Desperate times call for desperate measures, surely?

I’ve slept in a tent in running water!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If I want to sleep, I'd want to sleep!

The other day, I messed up and forgot to book an airside hotel at SIN. They were full. I was even prepared to pay Ł100 for an hour's sleep but no luck since they were plain full (and no luck next door either, as their pods were full).

I found a row of recliners in the snooze area (free, ironically...) and used one of those.

Airports can make good money from my desire for sleep should they wish to pander to it by charging rather richly!
Agree with this sentiment. If I want to sleep, charge me whatever and I will happily sleep. I remember arriving in ARN after a sleepless AKL-DOH-ARN and just wanted to crash for 4/5 hours ended up buying one night and they let me check in early.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by email2markt
Seems of the same ilk as Yotel although potentially designed for naps rather than a decent sleep (given there's no ensuite). Personally I can't sleep in increments of less than around 4 hours but can appreciate it might be useful for those that can grab 20 mins here, 40 mins there etc.
Until last weekend I would normally have agreed with you but having arrived back from JFK ay 10am with almost zero sleep due to the cabin being too hot.

I tried to stay awake when we arrived home but felt terrible. Caved at 1pm and got a solid 90/120 minutes and I felt like a different man afterwards.

That mini sleep was 100% worth it and needed.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by eugegall
Until last weekend I would normally have agreed with you but having arrived back from JFK ay 10am with almost zero sleep due to the cabin being too hot.

I tried to stay awake when we arrived home but felt terrible. Caved at 1pm and got a solid 90/120 minutes and I felt like a different man afterwards.

That mini sleep was 100% worth it and needed.
I did something similar in Dublin a couple of years ago. Landed, took a day room for three hours at the airport Hilton, slept for 90 minutes, and then took a shower. Checked out by noon, was reasonably active the remainder of the day, and managed to stay awake until falling asleep around 9:30 p.m. The following day, I was completely adjusted to my new time zone. Lots of research on napping seems to indicate that shorter naps are the sweet spot although a 90-minute early afternoon nap may better reflect what our long ago forebears (and some of the societies where the afternoon nap remains a tradition) might have done to get the right amount of sleep: Sleep Cycles
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I would be thrilled to see these. I'd be even happier than thrilled to see a joint OneWorld napspace project at all major hubs. It's not always possible to get enough sleep on a flight; some long haul connection combinations are just too "off" from the body clock for me.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If I want to sleep, I'd want to sleep!

The other day, I messed up and forgot to book an airside hotel at SIN. They were full. I was even prepared to pay Ł100 for an hour's sleep but no luck since they were plain full (and no luck next door either, as their pods were full).

I found a row of recliners in the snooze area (free, ironically...) and used one of those.

Airports can make good money from my desire for sleep should they wish to pander to it by charging rather richly!
Why didn’t you just go for an hours massage at the Airport Spa? Massage and 1 hour snooze would probably cost less than 100 quid.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
For T3 customers there is an easy(ish) solution: Send them to Aspire instead of Galleries. The Aspire lounge at T3 has free day beds...
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would like to see sleeping pods like the ones at Helsinki in more and more airports, but for LHR/BA lounges I would be happy with a very quiet, secluded area, with chaise longues like AY had in the non-Schengen lounge (included self service pillows and blankets available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.