Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Pilot Strike - What does Balpa want?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by amt

Qantas, 100 years old, kept flying through WWII, flown every almost every plane made until the end of their lifespan, wide and narrow body fleet, short hual and long operations, several records for the world’s longest routes... never suffered a hull loss or fatal accident.

An Australian would probably spit in your face for claiming that title for that mentally unstable Irishman’s fleet of puddle jumping 737s... and rightfully so.

Many Australians probably would, and they would be wrong. Just as you are. (Most Australians have absorbed our "mythical history" rather than the actual version.) QANTAS has had more than a few "hull losses" AND fatalities. Not recently its true... but you are making a ridiculous claim for its LIFETIME record so it's only fair we look at the WHOLE operating period.

Between 1927 and 1951 there were 12 crashes resulting in 71 fatalities (Those figures do NOT of course include the 33 lives lost in the two Short S23 Flying boats shot down by the Japanese in WW2)

8 De Havilland Aircraft of various types. 2 Short S23 Flying Boats. 1 Lockheed Lodestar. 1 Avro Lancastrian.

The claim that CAN proudly be made is that QANTAS hasn't had a fatal JET crash. THAT on its own is highly commendable. It is both unnecessary and actually counterproductive to make exaggerated claims about its record.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
<br />

But equally there is a marketplace, and within that a market price. The flying of an airliner to the required standard seem in effect to now be a commodity. Your dont even get to see them much anymore behind their closed doors.

This seems proven as promotions are based in huge huge part on time served not supreme ability. You have to understand the systems and fly it properly, hold the medical etc to get the job - so the entry requirements are high. It is probably the last industry where time served and hours flown are the almost sole determinate of seniority as opposed to ability.

Does hours flown make a difference. Absolutely. But there will be a point where you enter the law of diminishing returns as those hours will have allowed you to see a wide variety of weather, systems issues etc.

I know it would be nice to think of BA pilots as special but they will hold the identical licences to their colleagues, have identical line checks, medicals etc.

why do waiters at michelin * restaurants get paid more than any normal fancy restaurant? why do limo drivers get paid more than taxi drivers? One is providing a (somewhat) premium product, the other is ryanair.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by W213Sal
why do waiters at michelin * restaurants get paid more than any normal fancy restaurant? why do limo drivers get paid more than taxi drivers? One is providing a (somewhat) premium product, the other is ryanair.
that is a massive insult to all those pilots working for those airlines and really not on! At the end of the day they do the same tasks to the same standard. You are comparing very customer focussed jobs with one that has a limited interaction with customers.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

that is a massive insult to all those pilots working for those airlines and really not on! At the end of the day they do the same tasks to the same standard. You are comparing very customer focussed jobs with one that has a limited interaction with customers.
I didn't try to belittle anyone, on the contrary, flying bigger jumbos, pilots are responsible for more lives, i.e. A380 or 747 with 300-400 people on it, than a 737 with 100-200. Flying a 737 and 747/A380 aren't quite the same.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
11.5% over 3 years isn’t really worth getting out of bed for when you consider inflation.
Correct. It works out to a tiny bit under 3.7% per year.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I'm still not sure how BA short haul is any better than Ryan Air, I certainly don't see BA short haul as a premium product!

Currently mid MAN-Dub-Man with them, fast rack security at both airports, priority boarding, seat selection.... More legroom (OK, trade off with the plastic seats but it's a 30 min flight), buy on board..... OK, no lounge access.

I'm no Ryan Air advocate by any stretch but I'm sure the pilot is doing pretty much the same as a BA pilot would be if they flew this route...?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
I didn't try to belittle anyone, on the contrary, flying bigger jumbos, pilots are responsible for more lives, i.e. A380 or 747 with 300-400 people on it, than a 737 with 100-200. Flying a 737 and 747/A380 aren't quite the same.
It certainly came across like that. Ok. So by that logic BA a320 captains should get the same as their EasyJet counterparts then?

I’d also disagree with your second statement. They are very similar, yes there are differences in size for ground handling and some additional systems knowledge but you are operating essentially the same systems, flying through the same airspace, weather, dealing with the same ATC, have the same level of system challenges and risks of failures. Modern airliners are designed to be easy to fly. You can kill just as many people in a small aircraft as you can in large one through poor decision making (see Tenerife disaster). Essentially saying that you put the poor pilots on smaller aircraft so they only kill a few hundred is barking. You should be as safe in an a320 as you are in an a380.

Where it does make more sense is maybe in the older, more complex aircraft requiring much greater workload and with potentially greater failure rates. Not many of those left. Concorde would have been one and other pre-glass cockpits.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I wonder if this is all to do with the fact that the pilots have discovered the look of their upcoming new uniform and having grave doubts.
mikeyfly and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:13 pm

Interesting discussion, but, is everyone 100 % sure Ryanair and Easyjet pilots get paid less than BA short haul? Or just assuming?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Interesting discussion, but, is everyone 100 % sure Ryanair and Easyjet pilots get paid less than BA short haul? Or just assuming?
I know an Easyjet captain that's on just over 100k gbp.

Edited - he also said he knows Ryan Air captains earn around the same but it takes a few years to get to that level.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

For some of our junior SH captains, an Easyjet commander's pay would represent a serious pay rise.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.