Search

Damaged Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Damaged Luggage

Hi

Flew back from LAX on 23/12.

Our suitcases weren’t loaded on our connecting flight to MAN and were delivered back to us by courier late on Boxing Day.

One case has been damaged and we have registered a case with BA.

What generally happens? Do they replace the case for you or send a cheque for the value of the case?

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:30 am

In my case - pun not intended - I got another one.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
There are numerous threads in the forum covering this so you might want to use Google (other search engines are available) and search for British Airways Damaged Luggage on site:Flyertalk. In summary, damage reports are handled by BA's contractors once you lodge a claim. They will offer a replacement but if that's not suitable for you, you can escalate it to BA provided you have a receipt for the damaged case and can justify its value.
TheOriginalMrsB likes this.

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In my experience, I’ve had BA’s luggage partner fix the case and in another instance offer to replace it for similar or provide a monetary amount.

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
BA’s baggage damage agent, K2 Global, should be in contact. They will usually ask for details of the case and the damage, may ask for photos and make a decision. They may ask for the bag to be couriered to them (they provide the courier) to assess it and decide whether repair is economical. If it is not they will offer you what they call a similar bag. This can often include their own K2 bags which I would recommend avoiding if you can- the quality has been particularly poor when I’ve received them.

To help your ca/3c I’d recommend photos of all damage and compartments, try and find the serial number and th exact mode of care and if possible how much you paid for it.

When I’ve not been happy with what they have offered, they’ve usually settled for a matching bag from the same manufacturer, or alternatively they can bank transfer the money- but don’t expect that to be the full value - they count depreciation.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:16 am

K2 global were a nightmare. They insisted my bag was sent to them- the zip was ripped off and the material torn. I had to wait in for a courier and they couldn't give a time. They then said they couldn't repair it (not surprised)

They offered me a handheld duffle bag that was less than £50 on their linked and over priced website (mine was a eastpak suitcase with wheels that cost £120 and matched my other bags ).

https://www.airlinebags.co.uk/shop/p...&brand=Holdall

They then upped it to a hideous bag that was £75 on their website but would have been about £25 anywhere else.

https://www.airlinebags.co.uk/shop/p...le=Newhalem_30

They then sent my bag back despite me telling them that I didn't want it back. (total waste of time as I then had to take it to the refuse centre).

I then got referred back to BA. They refused to pay for the cost of a new like for like bag as it was several years old (although little used). Eastpak have a 30 year warrantee and I have Eastpak that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Finally I bought a replacement bag myself and told BA in no uncertain terms how annoyed I was. At that point having refused 3 times to pay anything they agreed to pay the price I had paid for the replacement. I was gold flying in paid 1st and honestly I nearly stopped flying with BA as I was so hacked off by it all- took hours on end.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Dec 27, 2019 at 11:23 am
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Additionally, if you don’t have a receipt, and the bag is more than a year old, expect to be offered about £50 and nothing more.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Additionally, if you don’t have a receipt, and the bag is more than a year old, expect to be offered about £50 and nothing more.
Ive got the receipt. The bag was purchased this year and has only been used for this trip.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I did have a receipt but for some reason it described the bag as blue (I imagine the salesperson in JL just scanned a label) and the bag was black.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsB
Ive got the receipt. The bag was purchased this year and has only been used for this trip.

The link that I have take you the Global2 website where you can see the bags that you will be offered.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
K2 global were a nightmare. They insisted my bag was sent to them- the zip was ripped off and the material torn. I had to wait in for a courier and they couldn't give a time. They then said they couldn't repair it (not surprised)

They offered me a handheld duffle bag that was less than £50 on their linked and over priced website (mine was a eastpak suitcase with wheels that cost £120 and matched my other bags ).

https://www.airlinebags.co.uk/shop/p...&brand=Holdall

They then upped it to a hideous bag that was £75 on their website but would have been about £25 anywhere else.

https://www.airlinebags.co.uk/shop/p...le=Newhalem_30

They then sent my bag back despite me telling them that I didn't want it back. (total waste of time as I then had to take it to the refuse centre).

I then got referred back to BA. They refused to pay for the cost of a new like for like bag as it was over 5 years old (although little used). Eastpak have a 30 year warrantee and I have Eastpak that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Finally I bought a replacement bag myself and told BA in no uncertain terms how annoyed I was. At that point having refused 3 times to pay anything they agreed to pay the price I had paid for the replacement. I was gold flying in paid 1st and honestly I nearly stopped flying with BA as I was so hacked off by it all- took hours on end.

I’ve included all the photos of the damage in the report sent to BA. I’ve kept the suitcase if they want it

I’ve got the receipt too. I can’t see my teenage daughter being happy with any of the cases on the links you mentioned!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
On a flight BKI-KUL-LHR-BHD I found that the corner of my hard shell case had been stoved (am I making up that word?) in.
Report made at BHD. No photos taken by them.
Next working day received a phone call from the company mentioned above asking for clarification of the dimensions and offering me same or slightly larger. No requirement to return existing case.
New, and better, case arrived by courier two days later.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
My new Samsonite bag has a very large crack in the front of it after LHR-KUL-DPS. I called BA and logged a report but over a week later have not heard anything yet from anybody other than a single email from BA asking me to confirm my PNR for the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Did a thread on this on here over the summer.

Took a bag off the carousel at Washington IAD to find it was missing a wheel. Pretty cheap Amazon bag but annoying all the same. Submitted a report about the bag and heard nothing for a couple months. Then got a hastily sent email apologising for the delay and 15,000 avios. Can make your own mind up whether that’s good enough or not but as the bag was probably 60 quid or so and valuing 1p per avios, I thought it was.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I had a bag broken last year. They were show to reply, but after a call with a guy in Newcastle, they refunded me the 120 quid I'd paid for a new one. Just submitted the receipt and the money arrived in 3 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.