Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY E190 operating limits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Let’s say they bought A221s and operated LCY-JMK, how would that feel?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donpizmeoff
I’m struggling to see your concern? Both scenarios discussed has the aircraft operating to its limit. Whether that be by virtue of maximum limits or limits regulated by environment. Both are equally safe and covered by design, regulation, procedures and operational conservatism.

BA are a business and are utilising their assets accordingly, and in compliance with the necessary regulation. Your feeling of reduced safety margins, or increased risk, is just that, a feeling!

Should you wish to be transported skyward from a long runway with less takeoff thrust, choose a flight from a different airport! That flight however, won’t be inherently safer than your flight from LCY.
First, I am not 'concerned' hahaha. I know that airlines and pilots take adequate precautions to operate aircraft safely, which is why I (rightly) predicted they probably limit loads at LCY for this flight - in fact, I would be concerned if I found out they didn't do this given the numbers wouldn't add up otherwise. Second though, I guess this is one of the major point of contentions here - the black and white categorical 'safe' or 'not safe' categorisation seems rather un-nuanced. Is operating an E190 from LCY to JMK safe? Yes. Is operating an E190 from LHR to JMK safe? Yes. Are there extra risks operating an E190 from London to JMK from a 5,000 foot runway compared to a 12,000 foot runway. Of course can be, and that is why extra precautions are taken such as limiting loads, especially in hotter weather. This is flying 101. I don't think there is anything controversial in what I'm saying.

Then suddenly, the thread gets derailed by two claims I didn't even make. One that this is the only flight like this (I never claimed that, though I'm sure it's not common on short-haul flights from Heathrow or Gatwick), and second that operating an aircraft at the maximum of its capability means it is unsafe (I never claimed that, though of course it is flying 101 that operating towards the limits can create additional challenges and risks).

Last edited by APUBleed; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by APUBleed
... and that is why extra precautions are taken such as limiting loads ...
This is why it's easy to get the impression that you are concerned. Limiting loads on a flight like LCY-JMK is not a "precaution". It's just part of the operation, in the same way as working out how much fuel to load.

If you're looking at a 3-hour flight and a 4-hour flight, you wouldn't regard the extra hour's fuel on the latter as a "precaution", would you? It's just what you do to operate the aircraft to its destination.

Similarly, to some destinations the aircraft will be loaded to no more than 72 pax rather than no more than 98. That is not a "precaution", either - it's simply how you fly there. I think that's why people may be misunderstanding where you are coming from.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Swap precaution with ‘risk mitigation strategy’. You limit the load to 72 to mitigate the risk of not being able to take off safely - a risk that in this context wouldn’t even exist on a 12,000 foot runway. That is why in this context of course there are additional risks, but the mitigation of these risks mean in normal operations and planned-for failures, it is equally safe. The whole reason this is a safe operation is because we recognise the risks associated with it and take action to mitigate them.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:21 pm
Suspended

I think I understand the point you are pushing, but you are simply incorrect, the point you are making does not exist.

No, there are no additional risks. The load is not limited to mitigate against an unsafe takeoff. An unsafe takeoff won’t occur. It’s limited to comply with regulation. The same regulations that apply on a 4000m runway.

Short of encouraging you to undertake an ATPL performance course, I don’t know how else to explain this to you!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:48 am
Suspended

...You limit the load to 72 to mitigate the risk of not being able to take off safely...
Is this risk on the risk register?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:29 am

I think I understand the point you are pushing, but you are simply incorrect, the point you are making does not exist.

No, there are no additional risks. The load is not limited to mitigate against an unsafe takeoff. An unsafe takeoff won’t occur. It’s limited to comply with regulation. The same regulations that apply on a 4000m runway.

Short of encouraging you to undertake an ATPL performance course, I don’t know how else to explain this to you!
He only needs to complete the performance section.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by richardwft

Is this risk on the risk register?
No, because it is not a risk, it is an operational limitation.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Are you really an airline pilot? I’m quite sure the load limit for LCY to JMK is due to runway limits with the fuel load required for JMK. I have seen the e190 performance tables. It’s how I recognised this issue would exist in the first place. Otherwise, what are the limits/regulation you are referring to?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:18 am

Are you really an airline pilot? I’m quite sure the load limit for LCY to JMK is due to runway limits with the fuel load required for JMK. I have seen the e190 performance tables. It’s how I recognised this issue would exist in the first place. Otherwise, what are the limits/regulation you are referring to?
RTOW Regulated Take Off Weight.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
RTOW Regulated Take Off Weight.
And why does this exist? Surely you are not blindly following these processes without thinking why. Go and look at the E190 performance tables. It appears to be within specifications for the E190 to do London to Mykonos with a higher payload than 72 pax, but it would require a longer runway than 5,000 feet. Thus, it appears that the constraint here is the runway length.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:39 am

The regulations and the safety factors that are included in them are what creates the runway limited take off weight.

The aircraft could carry much more from that runway if it wasn't subject to the regulations. If you planned to use the entire runway for take off roll and didn't have to worry about stopping after failure at high speed, or didnt have to clear the fence or obstacles by a margin after a failure then you could probably carry a full load to JMK. But you do so you cant.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Yes. As a given I assume we are talking about safe operations.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:59 am

And why does this exist? Surely you are not blindly following these processes without thinking why. Go and look at the E190 performance tables. It appears to be within specifications for the E190 to do London to Mykonos with a higher payload than 72 pax, but it would require a longer runway than 5,000 feet. Thus, it appears that the constraint here is the runway length.
No. I sat through a performance course at City of London University where I learned in depth about the regulations. I suggest you do the same and stop spouting uninformed rubbish.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
No. I sat through a performance course at City of London University where I learned in depth about the regulations. I suggest you do the same and stop spouting uninformed rubbish.
I don't know if you're confused about what I am saying but it is clear that the LCY-JMK runway operation is payload limited because of runway length, the same limit wouldn't apply at Heathrow or Gatwick airport. If you look at the chart below in combination with the Payload vs Range chart (not shown here) you can see that the aircraft would most likely be able to do close to (or actually) full pax capacity from Heathrow or Gatwick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.