AA Award seats and upgrades

Old Jul 22, 19, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
AA Award seats and upgrades

I have managed to book 2 seats on American airlines, using my BA miles, from Miami to Cancun but no first or business tickets were available. Does anyone know if and when seats in premium cabins become available? I am travelling next March.

Should they become available can I upgrade?

Mods, should this be on AA forum?
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AA is notorious for not releasing premium cabin award seats.

But, yes, if they release some Business Class award seats closer to departure, you can call BA and pay the extra Avios to upgrade cabin.
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
AA is notorious for not releasing premium cabin award seats.
But then upgrade passengers with status at the gate for free to fill up the premium cabins?

Doesn't make sense to me.

(Also checking daily for 2x F tickets LAS to MIA for next April but no luck)
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
It only costs about £4 to cancel and get your Avios back so could do that if premium seats come up
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simon stingray View Post
But then upgrade passengers with status at the gate for free to fill up the premium cabins?

Doesn't make sense to me.

(Also checking daily for 2x F tickets LAS to MIA for next April but no luck)
Domestically. Not internationally. (upgrades)

Why? Because who in their right mind would fly 100k miles per year on AA based on the promise of free upgrades, and then miss out because anybody with a few thousand miles could book up all the premium cabin space using miles.
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
On such a relatively short flight, I wouldn't bother anyway. Domestic services on American airlines are in general a big step up on those in Europe.

Its not worth paying the premium under 4 hours IMO
botham likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
On such a relatively short flight, I wouldn't bother anyway. Domestic services on American airlines are in general a big step up on those in Europe.

Its not worth paying the premium under 4 hours IMO
Respectfully disagree! AA domestic is a long way behind service on European Airlines, particularly BA, IMO.
Old Jul 22, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Save your avios. If you have OW status you can already get into the maincabin extra seats which allow you a drink (and more I believe). The first/bus class is not worth it on AA short haul. I've flown Miami to Mexico City multiple times (Cancun is shorter) and I never use 10k avios for what's on offer. Ymmv
Old Jul 22, 19, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Save your avios. If you have OW status you can already get into the maincabin extra seats which allow you a drink (and more I believe). The first/bus class is not worth it on AA short haul. I've flown Miami to Mexico City multiple times (Cancun is shorter) and I never use 10k avios for what's on offer. Ymmv
Iím very tall so I have booked main cabin extra exit seats for £31, which as you say offer a few perks like free drinks.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 8:28 am

Cool. Sounds like a good plan. Ex Miami you should also get a plane with IFE still. It's a short hop down to Cancun. Enjoy Mexico, have been proud to call it home for 11 years. Can send you some recommendations for what to do
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Any idea how this would work if you gained status after the tickets were bought?
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Cool. Sounds like a good plan. Ex Miami you should also get a plane with IFE still. It's a short hop down to Cancun. Enjoy Mexico, have been proud to call it home for 11 years. Can send you some recommendations for what to do
Thanks, that would be great. We are staying at the Westin Lagunamar, on a timeshare exchange.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by parklife View Post
Any idea how this would work if you gained status after the tickets were bought?
You'd be able to go into the booking and change seats. However, if you have already paid for said seats, I'd highly doubt AA would refund that. But, check in the AA group as there will be some experts there on the topic
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by parklife View Post
Free anytime access to MCE is only available to AA Platinum and up (= BA Silver and up). AA Gold (BA Bronze) can only access MCE seats for free at the 24 hour mark at which point the more desirable MCE may (or may not) be already taken.
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
Free anytime access to MCE is only available to AA Platinum and up (= BA Silver and up). AA Gold (BA Bronze) can only access MCE seats for free at the 24 hour mark at which point the more desirable MCE may (or may not) be already taken.
Thank you, didn't quite make it to silver so will see what is available at 24 hrs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: