Wiki Posts
Search

Avios for no IFE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Avios for no IFE

Sat in 1A on the BA274 last night from Vegas, I overheard the lady in 1K saying the IFE wasn’t working.

CSD came along and offered her and hubby (in 2A) 140k Avios....each.

Seems like a win to me.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thought cabin crew could only give out like 15k?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Sat in 1A on the BA274 last night from Vegas, I overheard the lady in 1K saying the IFE wasn’t working.

Seems like a win to me.
That sounds outstandingly muucho
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
140k is the going rate for a broken seat in F.

CSM will get a dressing down for that if the seat is functional.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Seat looked fine, she was horizontal and asleep whenever I woke up.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:25 am

Seems like a win to me.
Good lord! You’d expect that much if there were bodily emissions on your seat - not for IFE.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:20 am

OP are you sure? Never heard of 140K Avios for broken IFE.

And why was her husband also given Avios - was his IFE broken too?

Was in SIN-LHR in CW where IFE was broken recently, got 15K Avios.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:32 am

140k for broken IFE?! Wow!
Although I wasn’t there and therefore do not know the circumstances on the day, it would seem that CSD has misread the guidelines and gone way over the maximum for IFE failure. There is a rather inflexible matrix to which we must follow for onboard service recovery and if the customer is unhappy with the maximum offering (which the CSD/CSM will
undoubtedly offer), it must be forwarded to Customer Relations who’ll contact the customer in question.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I don't know the full history, other than what I posted, e.g. I don't know what part of IFE was broken. But the lady in the seat commented that they had a family Avios, and the CSM said that both credits would go to the same account, and she went on to explain how many points needed for round trip to USA etc etc.

My ears didn't really prick up until I heard "a hundred and forty thousand Avios for each of you", as I nearly fell off my own seat. It was definitely 2x 140k. I didn't know if being in F and on a 10H flight had any influence.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
And why was her husband also given Avios - was his IFE broken too?
Perhaps that was compensation for having to talk to his wife over dinner instead of watching his own film...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
,as I nearly fell off my own seat. .
You could have got 5000 Avios for that, in First it's quite tricky.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
What a fine result for the two pax on the receiving end of such charity ; even if somewhat bemusing to all others.

All that’s needed now to square this (very odd) circle is one of those nice follow-up letters from CS, which includes the oft-reported explanation behind many decisions relating to compensation gestures (or even lack of) for service failures.

Perhaps something along the lines of .....

I’m sure you will understand that we must apply consistency, in order to be fair to all our customers. To this end, I have credited 140,000 Avios* to each of your BAEC accounts”

* but please don’t tell your friends

Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Last time I flew First, my IFE wasn't working. Mentioned it in the hope of getting some Avios for my trouble as it was a night flight and I rarely use the IFE anyway... instead they did a reset and it was fixed.

I watched the grand total of half a film before sleeping for virtually the whole flight.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I get the moving map on the screen, then watch Amazon Prime films ion my ipad. the map is my sole engagement with IFE.
DrBenO likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:54 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I don't know the full history, other than what I posted, e.g. I don't know what part of IFE was broken. But the lady in the seat commented that they had a family Avios, and the CSM said that both credits would go to the same account, and she went on to explain how many points needed for round trip to USA etc etc.

My ears didn't really prick up until I heard "a hundred and forty thousand Avios for each of you", as I nearly fell off my own seat. It was definitely 2x 140k. I didn't know if being in F and on a 10H flight had any influence.
So the CSM was explaining how many Avios would be required to fly to different places. And then you heard her mention "140,000 Avios for each of you". Is there any chance that these two topics of conversation are connected? In other words, the 140,000 Avios related to the cost of a redemption on a specific route, not the amount of compensation she was offering them. Just a possibility ...

I was always led to believe that the compensation levels available to the CSM/CSD were fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.