Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe: no main menu choices

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Insufficient provisioning of premium cabins was apparently one of the infamous "enhancements" circa 2014/2015. Sorry to see they've not managed to improve in 5 years. It appears they're not really interested.
After three similar incidents in a row on TATL, I quit flying BA. By the way, on the final flight they not only ran out of food, they even ran out of sparkling water. At that point, I judged the airline as irredeemable.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Long haul is completely different: orders are also taken from the front to the back each cabin (in J and F only) but allocated by status if not everyone can have their first choice. Thus, in CW, a GGL can sit at the very back of the cabin (arguably some of the best window seats in J) yet still have their first choice.
I realise this is a thread about CE, but not all cabin crew on long-haul prioritise meal orders by status.

Doc Copper
BA235 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

I realise this is a thread about CE, but not all cabin crew on long-haul prioritise meal orders by status.

Doc Copper
Indeed. It’s best to go speak to the CSM / CSD or whoever is in charge of your cabin and ask to see the options and request your option as soon after takeoff and make sure they make a note of it and explain as you want to eat and rest.

Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
OP, assuming that you hadn’t changed your booking to move onto that flight on the same day, I’m not sure that this should have happened.
No. Booked about 2 weeks before flying. But I did notice CE was fully booked after boarding, so I'm assuming the last two rows were last-minute upgrades.

I still think BA shouldn't hand out menus to you to "choose" from only to find the 3 choices are unavailable. ie. if they know meals are short, shouldn't they take a proactive approach and figure a plan before handing out menus? Was amazed even the pasta dish was unavailable. They must have had only 8 meals stocked!

I agree with the special meals. Seemed strange that the only one left was 'low fat' (a dry fish dish which they had to warm up).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by chriswiles
No. Booked about 2 weeks before flying. But I did notice CE was fully booked after boarding, so I'm assuming the last two rows were last-minute upgrades.

I still think BA shouldn't hand out menus to you to "choose" from only to find the 3 choices are unavailable. ie. if they know meals are short, shouldn't they take a proactive approach and figure a plan before handing out menus? Was amazed even the pasta dish was unavailable. They must have had only 8 meals stocked!

I agree with the special meals. Seemed strange that the only one left was 'low fat' (a dry fish dish which they had to warm up).
I think Qantas does this domestically in their business cabin as I noted on my last trip the crew were telling everyone what was available. They skipped us as we were travelling on BA redemption tickets or because all the rest of the cabin had status (only 12 seats so very possible) I overheard the options being told to the other pax and when they got to us and there were 4 options. By the time they came back to us, they only had 2 options left. In this case it wasn't too dramatic as the BNE lounge was very good, but the last time I flew BA club from Milan, the lounge was ok, but nothing substantial to eat and on board, I don't recall menus being handed out - unless they collected them again! I normally keep everything.
blurt91 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
I don't recall menus being handed out - unless they collected them again! I normally keep everything.
Printed menu cards are handed out on band 3-4 services only .... Milan being a shorter band 2 route gets no menu card. And even then it's not an absolute science depending whether or not the cards have been loaded or you might even get a menu card that doesn't correspond to the tray and options you're being served (had that happen a few times).
​​
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rickg523
Insufficient provisioning of premium cabins was apparently one of the infamous "enhancements" circa 2014/2015. Sorry to see they've not managed to improve in 5 years. It appears they're not really interested.
After three similar incidents in a row on TATL, I quit flying BA. By the way, on the final flight they not only ran out of food, they even ran out of sparkling water. At that point, I judged the airline as irredeemable.
Cabin crew here say Club World is catered to 125% (or is it 140%?), so do you mean they ran out of your first choice of meal or or you saying they ran out of meals altogether?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Cabin crew here say Club World is catered to 125% (or is it 140%?), so do you mean they ran out of your first choice of meal or or you saying they ran out of meals altogether?
I must say I’m very surprised as well though for the sake of comprehensiveness, my understanding if I recall correctly is that some flights such as sleeper services are actually catered well below 100%. Whilst this usually makes sense, cultural variations and lounge quality mean that I have (exceptionally) witnessed cases where passengers were embarrassingly told there was no main course left. I do think that it is unacceptable when it happens but think one would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to be the victim of it three consecutive times.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Samolyot
With almost any CE flight being less than 2 hours I could care less about the food especially seeing as how I most likely had spent the previous hour(s) in the lounge. That said I do expect a modicum of briskness in the wet line! :-)
Doesn't work from some of the outports that have basic catering.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic

I must say I’m very surprised as well though for the sake of comprehensiveness, my understanding if I recall correctly is that some flights such as sleeper services are actually catered well below 100%. Whilst this usually makes sense, cultural variations and lounge quality mean that I have (exceptionally) witnessed cases where passengers were embarrassingly told there was no main course left. I do think that it is unacceptable when it happens but think one would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to be the victim of it three consecutive times

On sleeper service out of ORD, I’ve had that happen once (cabin crew offered dessert and first choice for breakfast) and seen it happen to others a couple times.

Lounge food at ORD is quite poor, so seems to result in hungry and unhappy passengers on some flights. You would think their catering algorithm would improve over time, but must not be a priority.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 22, 2019 at 4:58 pm Reason: Repair quotation
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

They found a leftover Risotto from First. This was also the flight that ran out of sparkling water, which I found as sorry as running short of meals. On two previous flights (one after another), I can't remember the specific menus, but I think three mains were offered and both times my first and alternate were gone.
747 Upper Deck service SFO-LHR-SFO.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rickg523
They found a leftover Risotto from First. This was also the flight that ran out of sparkling water, which I found as sorry as running short of meals.
Sadly, this has actually happened to me several times, particularly on inbound flights. Others have reported flights running out of Champagne and some wines being out is not unusual either. Normally, however, meals should be more predictable because there is no risk of starting to use the return stock on the outbound.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by dddc
I think Qantas does this domestically in their business cabin as I noted on my last trip the crew were telling everyone what was available. They skipped us as we were travelling on BA redemption tickets or because all the rest of the cabin had status (only 12 seats so very possible) I overheard the options being told to the other pax and when they got to us and there were 4 options. By the time they came back to us, they only had 2 options left. In this case it wasn't too dramatic as the BNE lounge was very good,
Thanks dddc for the heads up on this. I have a couple of BA award bookings in QF domestic business coming up,so must remember to eat in the lounge.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 22, 2019 at 4:59 pm Reason: Repair quotation
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
On a recent trip in CE, the chap next to me had pre-ordered a Gluten Free special meal which was served first before the trolley with the general meals came down.

What did surprise me though was when the trolley came along, he asked for a couple of the warm bread rolls which he heartedly ate!

He later told me he always ordered a ‘special meal’ of some description as he was invariably served first, so had time to eat his meal without being hurried. Also if he was sat further back, he at least got what he had ordered and not just what was available.

He was apparently trying out a Kosher special meal on his return flight!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
On a recent trip in CE, the chap next to me had pre-ordered a Gluten Free special meal which was served first before the trolley with the general meals came down.

What did surprise me though was when the trolley came along, he asked for a couple of the warm bread rolls which he heartedly ate!

He later told me he always ordered a ‘special meal’ of some description as he was invariably served first, so had time to eat his meal without being hurried. Also if he was sat further back, he at least got what he had ordered and not just what was available.

He was apparently trying out a Kosher special meal on his return flight!
In CE, special meals should be served at the same time as other meals. Perhaps he’s been lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.