FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1979335-ba-cancels-all-cai-flights-7-days-security-precaution.html)

JackLXSX Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Hello hive mind,

ive just had an email from BA informing me that my flight to LHR on sunday has been cancelled due to a non descriptive security reason. (All fights for 7 days apparently).

This is a return leg of an Avios flight, what are my options here? I can buy a new flight from sharm or Cairo no problem, but will I be able to get reimbursement for the lost hotel nights / new flight etc etc? Is this EU261?

Any help appreciated,

JackLXSX

Dave Noble Jul 20, 2019 10:02 am

Sounds like you would be eligible for EC261 compensation

Have you spoken to BA about other options - there are other airlines that can get you from Cairo to London , either non-stop or with 1 stop

If you phone and can get rebooked same day, what is lost? BA is not liable for consequential losses - that is something to allow for in the EUR400 compensation

Looking at Sunday, MS779 at 16:25 seems to have plenty of availability in business and economy class

cgtechuk Jul 20, 2019 10:04 am

The only other real option I can think of for OneWorld is CAI - AMM - LHR on Royal Jordanian.

No EU261 unless this is specifically BAs fault which by the sounds of it unlikelu.

One for the travel insurance likely, Is this the start or the end of a trip?

cgtechuk Jul 20, 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31323964)
Sounds like you would be eligible for EC261 compensation

Have you spoken to BA about other options - there are other airlines that can get you from Cairo to London , either non-stop or with 1 stop

If you phone and can get rebooked same day, what is lost? BA is not liable for consequential losses - that is something to allow for in the EUR400 compensation

Interesting. If it was for security reasons that the flight has been cancelled for 7 days I am unsure how you think this would be BAs fault?

Dave Noble Jul 20, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk (Post 31323984)
Interesting. If it was for security reasons that the flight has been cancelled for 7 days I am unsure how you think this would be BAs fault?

If other airlines are operating ( which they are ) , it seems strange that there is a extraordinary circumstance that can not be avoided even if all reasonable measures are taken ; flights don't seem to have been stopped from operating between Cairo and London given that MS is still operating, so seems to be a decision of the airline ( which is in its control ) rather than imposed by an external body ( e.g. the CAA )

Originally Posted by cgtechuk (Post 31323976)
The only other real option I can think of for OneWorld is CAI - AMM - LHR on Royal Jordanian.

No reason why it needs to be on a OW Carrier

UKtravelbear Jul 20, 2019 10:15 am

It could be a threat against BA specifically and not other airlines.

If BA has been advised not to fly (remember they have access to people and info that mere mortals don't and those people know how to contact BA) then it would be difficult to gainsay that advice.

Passmethesickbag Jul 20, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31324014)
It could be a threat against BA specifically and not other airlines.

If BA has been advised not to fly (remember they have access to people and info that mere mortals don't and those people know how to contact BA) then it would be difficult to gainsay that advice.

It's just quite remarkable that this threat occurs specifically against BA at exactly the same time as BA has well-publicised problems with sourcing aircraft for this particular route.

Dave Noble Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 31324022)
It's just quite remarkable that this threat occurs specifically against BA at exactly the same time as BA has well-publicised problems with sourcing aircraft for this particular route.

July 21 is the 1st day which the 787 is supposed to take over from the A320s which have been operating the route from 10-20 July - smells more likely to me that it is related to this

flashware Jul 20, 2019 10:31 am

I'm also in the same boat.

Dave Noble, I thought the same too as there was a huge uproar on my flight over here being an A321 NEO.

Anyway, the options are via ACC or via LOS with a very long layover. I've opted for the direct flight so have been booked to come back a few days later than originally planned.

flashware Jul 20, 2019 10:35 am

BA also specifically told me to keep my receipts for hotel, food, etc. and they'll reimburse for the longer stay.

Here's the text from the notification:
We are sorry to inform you that your flight from Cairo to London Heathrow has been cancelled.

We constantly review our security arrangements at all our airports around the world and have suspended flights to Cairo for seven days as a precaution to allow for further assessment.

The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our priority, and we would never operate an aircraft unless it was safe to do so.

We apologise for the disruption to your journey. To discuss your options, please contact us. Contact numbers can be found online at www.ba.com/contactus. Alternatively, please contact us on +44 203 250 0145. If you booked through a travel agent, please contact your agent.

We apologise for the disruption this has caused.

Warms regards,

British Airways Customer Service

Dicksbits Jul 20, 2019 10:36 am

Qatar is a possibility via Doha

flashware Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am

Strangely this is only showing 21 and 22 cancelled, mine was cancelled and it's later than those dates.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba154

The way the passengers behaved on my flight over on the 17th due to the aircraft downgrade I'm not surprised they chose to cancel... it's a threat to staff from some of the behaviour I saw, which makes me side with the earlier post that's the real reason.

Prospero Jul 20, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits (Post 31324074)
Qatar is a possibility via Doha

QR isn't an option. Other than BA, other oneworld carriers serving CAI are Iberia and Royal Jordanian

TomMM Jul 20, 2019 10:56 am

Maybe the threats are related to the seized tanker issue and Iran?

cbagent Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am

Contact centre staff have been given authority to book on non One World airlines.