Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The rebooking policies are:

1) Refund
2) Rebook to BA services after the suspension
3) Rebook to 300 miles (so TLV and AMM)
4) Rebook to alternative services of the same value
5) Rebook via Bahrain, using BA or Gulf to BAH, then Gulf from BAH to Cairo
6) Rebook via Abu Dhabi using BA or Etihad, the Etihad from AUH to Cairo
7) Rebook on direct service on MS (EgyptAir) - no First or WTP cabins though, these get rebooked to business and economy respectively.
8) Rebook on Lufthansa via FRA or MUC
9) Rebook on other airlines that have ticketing agreements with BA.

Option 9 is only for BA directly booked passengers, including redemptions, where the previous options don't provide "suitable flights". I've a feeling that doesn't include MS (but that's a hunch), but it should include Emirates, Turkish, Royal Jordanian, RAM and MEA. The last is unusual in that Contact Centres can do this.

EDITED: Adding MS / Egypt Air
EDITED2: Adding Lufthansa
‘As a precautionary measure, BA has decided that its flights to Cairo will be suspended for 7 days up to and including Friday 26 July.
Your safety is our first priority, and this decision comes following advice from the BA Corporate Safety and Security department which constantly monitors BA operations at all airports we serve.’
flashware, orbitmic, wrp96 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 23, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I wonder if AMM-CAI might actually be a bit over 300 miles (the BA calculator currently gives it at 300 miles exactly but it credited at 315 in the past so not sure?)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wonder if AMM-CAI might actually be a bit over 300 miles (the BA calculator currently gives it at 300 miles exactly but it credited at 315 in the past so not sure?)

The calculator shows 300 because that is the RJ minimum mileage.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Airprox

The calculator shows 300 because that is the RJ minimum mileage amount at 100%.
Oh, very good to know! ^ I thought I had 315 in the past! I may just be confused!!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:23 am

The option to rebook to MS ( Egypt Air ) operated flights , LHR/CAI and vv ,has now been added to rebooking policy.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

1) Refund
2) Rebook to BA services after the suspension
4) Rebook to alternative services of the same value
5) Rebook via Bahrain, using BA or Gulf to BAH, then Gulf from BAH to Cairo
6) Rebook via Abu Dhabi using BA or Etihad, the Etihad from AUH to Cairo
7) Rebook on direct service on MS (EgyptAir) - no First or WTP cabins though, these get rebooked to business and economy respectively.
8) Rebook on other airlines that have ticketing agreements with BA.

Option 8 is only for BA directly booked passengers, including redemptions, where the previous options don't provide "suitable flights". I've a feeling that doesn't include MS (but that's a hunch), but it should include Emirates, Turkish, Royal Jordanian, RAM and MEA. The last is unusual in that Contact Centres can do this.
That policy is applicable only to the 7 days cancelled flights window, not later on (about a week later) for departure Ex-CAI ?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:05 am

Yes , at the moment policy only extends to flights in the 7 day cancellation peiod.
flashware likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Spoke to ITV (Skype interview) but didn't get aired, I suspect it's because I wasn't sensationalist enough .... I get the feeling if I was scared and angry I would have made the cut, but instead I was relaxed about it because it's travel and stuff happens!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by flashware
Spoke to ITV (Skype interview) but didn't get aired, I suspect it's because I wasn't sensationalist enough .... I get the feeling if I was scared and angry I would have made the cut, but instead I was relaxed about it because it's travel and stuff happens!
Did you not utter the immortal words "we've been sleeping on the airport floor"?.

M
flashware and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by HarryKUK

I don’t know why people are having a go at those who think it’s partly a commercial decision: I find it more concerning that BA have lied so many times in the past that it’s become normal to think their reasons aren’t always based on truth.

On this occasion, since LH have made a similar decision, I would think there is some genuine security basis (although do think it’s odd that it’s BA advising the FCO and the DoT and not the other way around!) but I understand why people take a lot of things BA say with a pinch of salt. Certainly wouldn’t post abuse at anyone who thought BA were telling porkies.
If BA internal security had conducted a security audit at Cairo and been disturbed with what they found they could a) advise the company to suspend flights with immediate effect and b) advise the FCO what they were doing.

It is very plausible the FCO were not the instigators.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by flashware
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Did you not utter the immortal words "we've been sleeping on the airport floor"?.

M
to hugely misquote John Major, “being all reasonable never buttered a parsnip”
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Swampz64

If BA internal security had conducted a security audit at Cairo and been disturbed with what they found they could a) advise the company to suspend flights with immediate effect and b) advise the FCO what they were doing.

It is very plausible the FCO were not the instigators.
Note that the FCO is not advising against travelling out of CAI — their website merely reports the fact that BA flights are suspended, and doesn't even mention why.
nancypants and RobbieBoy like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: OWA - Silver (ex Gold) IHG Ambassador
What the heck do I know?

Wow. There's some sneery invective on this thread... "Imagine believing that were actually true" etc etc (Hi Willie - how ya doin'?!)

I Googled this whole issue, because I couldn't believe all the news channels were just regurgitating the BA Press Office releases without any challenge based on what I experienced on actual LHR-CAI-LHR flights last week. And now I've signed up specifically to throw this piece of information on the table because I think there might - just might - be more to this than meets the eye. Despite what some of the more dismissive posters are determined to promote.

I flew out and back to CAI this last week on one of the many affected flights. Prior to that I was informed (as an Exec Club member) of the plane change. No reasons were given at the time, but on the flight out (I'm not saying exactly which one, because I don't want to get triangulated here) we were informed by the Cabin Crew AND the pilot that it was an issue caused by the 787s being in for maintenance "for a couple of weeks" hence the mass downgrade of everyone in "Club World" and "World Traveller Plus." It wasn't a great flight, but we all got over it - albeit the passengers, AND CREW, were all pretty pissed off about the way BA had dealt with the issue.

Travelling back on what I think was the last flight into LHR (Friday) the crew and pilot were again in full-on "all I can do is apologise" mode. EXCEPT - the cabin crew took it upon themselves to give out complaint cards to everyone onboard, which they explained they'd done on their Outbound flight a couple of days earlier. And now I quote directly from one of the cabin crew:

"You won't get anywhere if you complain individually to Customer Relations. We gave out these cards on the way out, and we're doing it on the way home - we are going to enter them (about 400 in total) when we get back to base tonight, AND WE ARE GOING TO ENTER THEM WITH A "SAFETY" FLAG.... That way, BA have to investigate it in full, OR THEY WILL GET FINED BY THE CAA..."

All I know from there is that - the very next day - the flights were all cancelled without a great deal of explanation. With an end date - and I'm sure it's just pure coincidence - of precisely the same day that we were told, on the way out, that the 787 fleet would be back online.

Imagine actually believing what ACTUALLY happened, and what I and a couple of hundred other passengers heard?? Wow, can you IMAGINE that, compared with what some sneery keyboard-warrior thinks MIGHT have happened, in their Unicorn-infested world. How VERY DARE anyone actually question the Great God that is IAG / BA / Willie Walsh etc etc?!

I have no idea if there is a direct connection or not. All I do know is that;
  1. We were told all these cards would be entered back at base on Friday
  2. They would be entered with a "SAFETY" designation, to make it compulsory for BA to investigate, and
  3. The next day, all the flights were cancelled.
And I invite you to consider what the real truth might be, rather than assuming anyone who can connect potential data points is some sort of swivel-eyed loon...

Unlike some other posters here, I don't claim to KNOW what happened - none of us really can. But I don't think it's remotely "childish" or "despicable*" to at least as the question and seek answers. If only because in the circumstances I think there is a reasonable question to be answered - as to whether the BA Press Release is really the whole truth - or whether they are spreading fear and doubt to protect themselves from compensation claims.

*I'm not going to get into a slanging match, but unless you really ARE Willie Walsh or the BA PR department, then you have a worryingly low threshold as far as what the word "despicable" means in practicet!!!

So there you go. Did anyone else experience the same on the flight back to LHR on Friday, or did I just get pissed and make the whole thing up!?

Now looking forward to getting royally slated by said keyboard-warriors. But having not had a clue what I voted for Brexit-wise, I'm pretty used to it by now

Robbie.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0

Can you get FF miles for flying it as well, on MS or any other alliance partner?
No
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA/American
Robbie, do you feel better now? :-)

The only question is - will we ever know?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.