Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by GUWonder

A country in the region notified the US and the UK first about the risk, and it’s about terrorist attacks aimed at aviation in general in Egypt and not localized to just aviation at Cairo, nor to just BA. Air Sinai is more hardened in ways but that doesn’t necessarily mean a whole lot.
Are you implying that the Air Sinai flights would be even more likely to be cancelled than BA flights from Cairo?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Does anyone know how many years BA have flown to Cairo?
If you go all the way back to its Imperial Airways ancestry, then donkeys years -- since the late 20's or early 30's of the last century, with the exception of suspended service for a couple of years or so during and after the Suez crisis of 1956.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
A friend of mine suppose to fly on BA flight tomorrow from CAI to LHR. They rerouted him via DXB on EK and he likes this option ^
DYKWIA, mrow, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

A country in the region notified the US and the UK first about the risk, and it’s about terrorist attacks aimed at aviation in general in Egypt and not localized to just aviation at Cairo, nor to just BA. Air Sinai is more hardened in ways but that doesn’t necessarily mean a whole lot.
Agree, despite the politics of the Air Sinai flights I’m not sure how much more hardened the flights are security wise beyond Israeli security services knowing API and baggage potentially (Its still Egypt) being screened carefully. Have taken these flights many times over the years and it was just 6 or so months ago IIRC that IAF jets scrambled to intercept because the EgyptAir pilot didn’t know the basic security identification procedures to identify aircraft entering Israeli airspace.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0

Are you implying that the Air Sinai flights would be even more likely to be cancelled than BA flights from Cairo?

These flights have traditionally been kept up even when Israel is in midst of heavy fighting.
GUWonder, orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0
Wonder whether BA would reroute on Air Sinai CAI-TLV and then BA from TLV? A much shorter extra distance than any of the other options mentioned. The Air Sinai flights between CAI and TLV are apparently quite hard to find info about let alone even get a ticket for, since Egypt keeps their existence quiet for political reasons.
Its actually quite easy to get a ticket on AirSinai simply call any EgyptAir phone number throughout the world and buy one like any other EgyptAir flight. In Egypt one can also have any hotel concierge or EgyptAir office help if they can’t be bothered to call.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:27 am

As per media: Lufthansa has resumed flights to CAI as of today.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Not sure it's up above.. Lh has canceled Cai as well.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
FWIW Lufthansa flight LH582 to CAI departed FRA 2hr5mins late at 12:25pm local time today.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:45 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
A friend of mine suppose to fly on BA flight tomorrow from CAI to LHR. They rerouted him via DXB on EK and he likes this option ^
I am flying just after this 7 day window so my flight is not cancelled yet, but on the off chance it is, do you think BA would allow me to originate in Dubai ? I have a separate ticket SHJ-CAI to connect to my BA CAI-LHR-JFK ticket, and it'd be much nicer to get an extra night of sleep in my own bed !
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
FWIW Lufthansa flight LH582 to CAI departed FRA 2hr5mins late at 12:25pm local time today.
Sorry I just read the headline.. It was sat morning but they restarted the service.. Just saying.. There is some official stuff going on.. So not likely to claim 261
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:53 am

Hey Jack - would you be happy to talk to ITV News about this? Would be great to hear about your experience - hopefully could help push things along too, [email protected] - please get in touch
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by flashware
I'm also in the same boat.

Dave Noble, I thought the same too as there was a huge uproar on my flight over here being an A321 NEO.

Anyway, the options are via ACC or via LOS with a very long layover. I've opted for the direct flight so have been booked to come back a few days later than originally planned.
Hiya - wondering if you could please get in touch with me to talk about this with ITV News? My email is [email protected] - would be great to hear from you
flashware likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD

Its actually quite easy to get a ticket on AirSinai simply call any EgyptAir phone number throughout the world and buy one like any other EgyptAir flight. In Egypt one can also have any hotel concierge or EgyptAir office help if they can’t be bothered to call.
Can you get FF miles for flying it as well, on MS or any other alliance partner?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
I am flying just after this 7 day window so my flight is not cancelled yet, but on the off chance it is, do you think BA would allow me to originate in Dubai ? I have a separate ticket SHJ-CAI to connect to my BA CAI-LHR-JFK ticket, and it'd be much nicer to get an extra night of sleep in my own bed !
I doubt it. However, call BA and try. You don't have anything to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.