Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
German media are just reporting that Lufthansa has canceled all CAI flights until further notice for security reasons
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by warakorn
No! EC261/2004 compensation right does not depend on the fact whether the operating airline is at fault or not.
It depends on the fact whether an extraordinary event (that could not have been avoided) caused the cancellation.
I fail to see this extraordinary event, in light of the fact that MS is operating that route without any problems.
BA has to prove the extraordinary event.
What other airlines do or don't do is not relevant. It's what BA does that is.

In a weather incident one airline may cancel flights on a route and be except from EU261 even if another airline does not cancel on the very same route.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

lmao- imagine genuinely believing this
Your vulgarity is uncalled for. I don't believe anything — I have just learnt to maintain a healthy general scepticism regarding BA's excuses.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Maybe the threats are related to the seized tanker issue and Iran?
This is what I inferred from CNN's announcement of the flight cancellations.

If you're already in Egypt, do you want to stay or get out ASAP? If you're currently elsewhere, are you sure you want to go to Egypt (or even other places in the Mideast now?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Your vulgarity is uncalled for. I don't believe anything — I have just learnt to maintain a healthy general scepticism regarding BA's excuses.
Is Lufthansa also out of 787s then?

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
German media are just reporting that Lufthansa has canceled all CAI flights until further notice for security reasons
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I think that it may be more helpful to stick to his problem. Where does he call and what should he ask for. As it’s an Avios booking, will it restrict his options? The whys and wherefores are irrelevant he will deal with once he’s home. Going via LOS or ACC sound idiotic to me. If he’s forced to buy a ticket, will he be compensated?

What is the best number for him to call.
In these circumstances, it may be necessary to accept out of the way routings or be prepared to stay in Egypt for a while, but I'd be concerned that some of these alternatives could have health requirements (such as a yellow fever shot or cholera) either to transit or to enter some other countries in the near future. One should of course also check whether a transit visa is required or wise (what if IROPs causes you to miss a connecting flight in some of these places, given yor passport, etc.?). Do you need to worry about malaria in these airports?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Thread title updated.

As this is a developing situation, the thread will become a resource for those whose travel plans are disrupted, so forum members are respectfully requested to stay on topic and keep diversionary/flippant/off-topic comments to themselves.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
can at least confirm the Lufthansa information. also for 7 days to "evaluate the situation"
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I don’t know why people are having a go at those who think it’s partly a commercial decision: I find it more concerning that BA have lied so many times in the past that it’s become normal to think their reasons aren’t always based on truth.

On this occasion, since LH have made a similar decision, I would think there is some genuine security basis (although do think it’s odd that it’s BA advising the FCO and the DoT and not the other way around!) but I understand why people take a lot of things BA say with a pinch of salt. Certainly wouldn’t post abuse at anyone who thought BA were telling porkies.
GUWonder, mrow, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nephoi
can at least confirm the Lufthansa information. also for 7 days to "evaluate the situation"
My understanding is that the LH flights have been suspended indefinitely, meaning until the security concerns are alleviated. AFAIK only BA has announced the seven day cancellation period in order to reevaluate the security situation.
wrp96, plunet and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
This clearly isn’t BA specific threat but maybe BA security team were quick off the mark here in the intelligence they received and wanted to act quickly. So we should be thankful to them and hope that the threat isn’t real.

Its a reminder that the region and surrounding areas are still (sadly) unstable and companies or organisations operating in/around should be vigilant and ensure safety for all involved. BA are clearly doing this.

It may upset your holiday or work trip but I’d rather be alive with some annoying admin/bills to pay than the possible worse case involved here, which we can all guess. Well done to BA acting so quickly.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that the LH flights have been suspended indefinitely, meaning until the security concerns are alleviated. AFAIK only BA has announced the seven day cancellation period in order to reevaluate the security situation.
Die Fluggesellschaft British Airwayshatte zuvor ebenfalls angekündigt, für sieben Tage aus Sicherheitsgründen alle Flüge nach Kairo auszusetzen.

i dont want to get semantic at this time but the keyword seems to be "ebenfalls"/lilkewise... i just dont know. both may be true. doesnt matter. the are cancelled for the time being
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nephoi
Die Fluggesellschaft British Airwayshatte zuvor ebenfalls angekündigt, für sieben Tage aus Sicherheitsgründen alle Flüge nach Kairo auszusetzen.

i dont want to get semantic at this time but the keyword seems to be "ebenfalls"/lilkewise... i just dont know. both may be true. doesnt matter. the are cancelled for the time being
Sieben Tage.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It's just quite remarkable that this threat occurs specifically against BA at exactly the same time as BA has well-publicised problems with sourcing aircraft for this particular route.
While I often criticise BA on a number of issues, I find disgusting such an allegation considering their security record.

I am happy to fly on a carrier not afraid to shut down a route on security grounds and the fact LH followed suit, although for a shorter period of time, seems to corroborate the fact that they had proper intel to support their decision.

Surely comms could have been managed better, but suggesting they staged a security threat to cover for a fleet shortage and not pay compensation is preposterous at best.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
German native speaker here... German media quote the following statement from LH which means flights are temporarily suspended without a date when flights would be resumed again.
"Da die Sicherheit für Lufthansa stets oberste Priorität hat, hat die Fluggesellschaft heute vorsorglich ihre Flüge nach Kairo vorübergehend eingestellt, während eine Evaluierung der Lage stattfindet."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.