Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cancels all CAI flights for 7 days : ‘security precaution’.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Thanks for all the replies, some interesting thoughts. I'm currently hovering over the buy button on the RJ flights via Amman, unfortunately as its an avios booking I can't book an alternative online (it has to be done over the phone), It also doesn't give any figure as to what the refund will be for cancelling, with the very one sided terms:

"The refund amount will be based on our terms and conditions and is final and non-negotiable. Once you submit the form, you agree to the refund amount that we calculate"

It seems a bit unfair to not give any indication of how much the refund will be and also say it is non negotiable after the fact. As a slight aside,

I can't find the email I received from the booking, does anyone know of a way to get a new receipt from MMB?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Mutu
this is perhaps the most childish and despicable comment I have heard in a while here.

We do not know the reasons but the BBC reports FO advice regarding a threat to aviation.

Let's see what transpires in the next few hour if other UK carriers follow suit, other countries etc..

And yes this could be a BA specific threat and surely if so this is the right course of action.
FCO advice simply quotes BA's decision without comment or endorsement. Certainly, let's see what transpires before using invective about other people's posts, shall we?
mrow, nancypants and Katamarino like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JackLXSX
Thanks for all the replies, some interesting thoughts. I'm currently hovering over the buy button on the RJ flights via Amman, unfortunately as its an avios booking I can't book an alternative online (it has to be done over the phone), It also doesn't give any figure as to what the refund will be for cancelling, with the very one sided terms:

"The refund amount will be based on our terms and conditions and is final and non-negotiable. Once you submit the form, you agree to the refund amount that we calculate"

It seems a bit unfair to not give any indication of how much the refund will be and also say it is non negotiable after the fact. As a slight aside,

I can't find the email I received from the booking, does anyone know of a way to get a new receipt from MMB?
But why you do not call to BA?

I am sure they will be very happy to rebook you asap via other carries at no cost for you.
cbagent, Deltus and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The MMB refund option will almost certainly not be programmed to deal with circumstances like this when BA cancel rather than you cancelling.

You will get a full refund - if that's what you want.

BUT talk to BA first about alternative reroutes before spending any more of your own cash or avios.

To find the booking email search your emails for 'british aiways' or 'booking' if you can't find it.
cbagent, wrp96 and Often1 like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 20, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JackLXSX

Why would you not just make the telephone call and have the airline rebook you on another airline - unless the oneway fare is really low
Passmethesickbag and cbagent like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why would you not just make the telephone call and have the airline rebook you on another airline - unless the oneway fare is really low
Well I did try, I got through after 30 mins the first time on my way home and they told me I could rebook onto any other carrier online, so I believed them and thought I'd look into options and do exactly that. Unfortunately since then I've tried calling twice, The first time I was on hold for 25 mins and then got cut off and the second time for 30 mins before my contract cut me off, Its not cheap calling from Egypt and unfortuantly they block all VOIP calls.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by cbagent
Contact centre staff have been given authority to book on non One World airlines.
The situation must be serious! Next we know, they’ll be sending Kate Adie in to report.
cbagent, lkrt, James91 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It's just quite remarkable that this threat occurs specifically against BA at exactly the same time as BA has well-publicised problems with sourcing aircraft for this particular route.
lmao- imagine genuinely believing this
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Call 0800 123 1111 or the US 1-800 number using Skype, it's free, if you have WiFi
wilsnunn and Samolyot like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is certainly OP's option to cancel for a refund and then book whatever he wants. But, calculating the refund for less than all segments of a ticket is a manual process.

While annoying, it seems that the best course of action is:
1. Do the research and determine the routings of choice in rank order. Write down the specific details.
2. Call BA. Just once. Start the call by noting that BA has cancelled your flight and you have a proposed reroute. The form of payment for your underlying ticket, e.g. avios, is irrelevant in this situation.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:09 pm

I called the toll free gold line no problems using Skype.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No EU261 unless this is specifically BAs fault which by the sounds of it unlikelu.
No! EC261/2004 compensation right does not depend on the fact whether the operating airline is at fault or not.
It depends on the fact whether an extraordinary event (that could not have been avoided) caused the cancellation.
I fail to see this extraordinary event, in light of the fact that MS is operating that route without any problems.
BA has to prove the extraordinary event.
Passmethesickbag and mrow like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:27 pm

Looking forward to having the argument...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
FCO advice simply quotes BA's decision without comment or endorsement. Certainly, let's see what transpires before using invective about other people's posts, shall we?
BA has never made a mystery of having to cancel flights due to lack of 787s (see SJC) or when they had to sub them with wet-leased aircrafts. I appreciate that BA-bashing is a national sport on this forum (and yet people still fly the airline, which surprises me to no end) but to insinuate that BA would lie - throwing in security, no less! - to cover for aircraft shortages is really uncalled for.
Jimmie76, HIDDY, flygirl68 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Lufthansa has now also cancelled all Cairo flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.