Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Compensation for IFE Technical Difficulties in F

Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro | United Premier Platinum

I flew from LHR-ATL a few days back in First. First off, the flight was fantastic and by far one of the best crews I've had on a BA flight (review will come soon). However, I was quite disappointed to see that the audio jack for the IFE wasn't functioning properly. There was significant static and the audio would cut in and out. I initially thought it was just the headphones that wasn't working properly, but the problem continued when the FA brought an additional pair (one from F and another from CW). Unfortunately, the first cabin was completely full and couldn't move me to a different seat. So, for the entire 9 hour flight I really couldn't use the system. It would take me near an hour to watch a 22 minute tv episode because of audio issues. It's an aging cabin and do understand that issues like this could occur but I feel that this is unacceptable, especially in First. I already went ahead and submitted a complaint but I'm curious to hear about your experiences with similar issues and what kind of compensation you received.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
10,000 or 15000 avios would be normal. Maybe an extra 10k for a gold cardholder.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's unusual that someone has to write to BA about this as the CSD would normally record the issue on their iPad so that (a) you get some avios and (b) it gets logged for repair.

Bu as the previous poster for no working IFE in F it's in the 10-15k range
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I believe IFE is far greater than 10k.

Ultimately what do you want?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro | United Premier Platinum
I'm fine with 10-15k avios. The thing though is that it isn't often that I fly with BA nor do I redeem Avios that often. I would far prefer a cash compensation but obviously that probably wouldn't be an option. As it was a daytime flight, I was looking to catch up on some films and wind down a bit but of course can be quite difficult when I can't hear anything!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I got 17,500 a couple of years back for a non functioning IFE. (Just before the draconian cut backs which now seem to be a thing of the past) DFW-LHR in F. I am One World Sapphire, but only Blue on BA.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
We had non functioning IFE in F SYD to SIN and I think we got 50k between the 2 of us.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:14 am

Quite some years ago and before BA started to reduce the compensation offered but I got 20,000 for non-functioning video in F. On two occasions.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I received 20,000 Avios for non functioning IFE in F last month. Wasn't even using it or planning to use it by the cabin crew insisted on including me so it seemed churlish to refuse.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Chris9642
We had non functioning IFE in F SYD to SIN and I think we got 50k between the 2 of us.
About four years ago I had similar on a LHR-Sin flight and reported it to the csd who put it on his IPad. I moved my seat as the cabin was not full and was staggered to find a 50k avios bonus sitting in my account when I got back to the UK. Ah those good old days!
dsteveman likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:26 pm

I have had 50K in the past for non functioning IFE- probably was 3-4 years ago
dsteveman likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
A couple of years ago, I had almost the exact situation as the OP - sound problems with the IFE in my seat in F.
Crew tried to reset my system, brought me different headphones = nothing worked.
The CSD immediately offered me 10,000 Avios and said that was the maximum they could offer. I accepted, and that was the end of the matter as far as I was concerned.
The crew were apologetic and also offered me a bottle of champagne to take away, which I didn't accept as I'm not a champagne fan and didn't want to carry it on my onward journey, but I appreciated the gesture.
The experience did teach me to load my iPad up with entertainment before a flight, just in case the IFE does fail again.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Just curious, if one happened to be crediting the flight to another FF program, would they still provide compensation in Avios? I'd imagine that the BA FF# wouldn't necessarily be visible to the crew in those circumstances.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In CW a couple weeks ago, my IFE didn’t work at all, and was offered 15,000 by the CSD during the flight. Would expect it to be at least 15,000 for F.
dsteveman likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I got 25k avios for IFE stuck on broadcast mode on a longish CW flight a few months back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.