FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Domestic Club Europe - Enough is Enough! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1979326-domestic-club-europe-enough-enough.html)

GiddyKipper638 Jul 20, 2019 7:51 am

Domestic Club Europe - Enough is Enough!

Since the introduction of CE on domestic routes, I have travelled predominantly from NCL/LBA to LHR and in the main, the crews have done a sterling job in delivering the CE service when time is clearly against them.

Over the last few months I have noticed a considerable decline in service. This is based predominantly on one thing - loads in the CE cabin. As a case in point, I flew on the LHR-NCL yesterday evening and we had 11 rows in the CE cabin on a 321. I was unfortunate enough to be located towards the rear of this cabin and by the time the crew got to me I had no choice in meal (it happens and no great shakes) but the meal was simply not fit for consumption (I am certainly not a fussy eater) and the cutlery was dirty with food still caked on my knife and fork. Drinks service followed a while later so literally had to down my drink in 5 minutes.

What struck me was the fact that the crew were clearly trying their best but ultimately it is wholly unfair on them as to adequately serve 11 rows of customers on such a short flight is next to impossible. I found myself getting stressed just observing them rushing around! They are being set up to fail and frustrating passengers in the process.

I fully understand and support the principle of introducing CE on domestic routes but I firmly believe that now is the time for BA to reconsider load factors versus a satisfactory level of service. 11 rows is simply not manageable and I for one take great exception to paying for this sub standard service. To that end, I will now simply not book this cabin and only accept if connecting onto an onward flight.

I would be interested in the thoughts of others on this as surely I’m not the only one to be so frustrated!

corporate-wage-slave Jul 20, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by GiddyKipper638 (Post 31323636)
I would be interested in the thoughts of others on this as surely I’m not the only one to be so frustrated!

I don't think this is the norm, given the popularity of CE in this forum and onboard. However I don't think yours is the first complaint about a large CE cabin, equally at least you have the choice not to buy CE. NCL northbound can be problematic due to the short flight time, there is a rarely a hold landing into Woolsington, but there often is landing into Heathrow. Personally I've only had good service in CE to and from NCL. I'm not always in the front few rows since sometimes I'm on a late booking or SDC, and I fly this route with a frequency that I'm too embarrassed to admit to in this forum.

Chris9642 Jul 20, 2019 8:31 am

I fly NCL fairly regular in CE and generally it’s good - especially when the crew spring into action even before we’ve crossed over Windsor !

The cabins do seem to have been getting larger recently - my NCL next Friday is 12 rows although sat at the front and will ask for 2 drinks to ensure I can make my own top up.

Im not sure how it could be restricted though as there often seems to be a lot of connecting traffic and if it’s onwards in CW or F then those passengers will automatically get CE which might drive up the size of the cabin. My return flight from NCL is only 4 rows.

I actually started a thread about the frustrations of large CE cabins a few weeks ago but oddly my grumbles have all been slow band 3 services whereas domestic the crew seem to leap into action the minute the wheels are off the ground (probably because they don’t have a choice).

ginger_lord Jul 20, 2019 8:40 am

You've not experienced fast food until you've been in a full load A321 on LHR-MAN...and sat at the back. Luckily for me this is all on the companies accounts as I'd never purchase this product myself but everytime I'm on that route it seems like there is a significant portion of flyers who are not on business travel and just seem to have paid out the nose for this substandard product.

South London Bon Viveur Jul 20, 2019 8:44 am

Surely no one (or hardly anyone) books CE for a point to point LHR-NCL run? I imagine that the vast majority of people are in transit, many from (or to) long haul.

T8191 Jul 20, 2019 8:44 am

Large loads in CE certainly don't help. We've had double-digit rows occasionally on JER/LGW, and 8 rows is quite normal ... where you often have a 40-minute sector! On these occasions we're doubly grateful for being Gold and sat in Row 1.

No idea what the answer is, though.

Workie Ticket Jul 20, 2019 8:53 am

How did everyone onboard used to get service back in the 70s/80s? Did they have more crew?

Often1 Jul 20, 2019 9:00 am

The problem is that the product is immensely popular as evidenced by the growing CE cabin. Thus, the suggestions here are supported by overall customer choice. Important to remember that it is more than likely that this product is merely a sop to those connecting from F/CW or equivalent international long-haul. It would be interesting to learn what the split in domestic CE is between O&D and connections.

KeaneJohn Jul 20, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 31323780)
Surely no one (or hardly anyone) books CE for a point to point LHR-NCL run? I imagine that the vast majority of people are in transit, many from (or to) long haul.

when you can get it for £200 return which isn’t much about a ET plus fare or when you get a PAUG for less than a cost of a checked bag it’s extra tier points relatively cheaply.

I always try to sit close to the front on domestic and Short CEs but find it depends on the crew. I’ve been on an 8 row NCL -LHR and had the meal with drinks, another drinks run, coffee, another drinks run and something for landing in a plastic cup. It often depends on the slickness of the crew and their teamwork.

What did annoy me was we had a 90 min ground delay the crew just sat talking (could have taken drinks and or food orders) and then the row in from 2 x children under 10 needed each drinks option explained to them twice and then coerced into choosing something by their mother,,. This was on a Manchester to Heathrow flight.

What we tend to forget is that back in the day, a full hot breakfast or hot meal would be served on a 757 or 767 on the UK shuttles and that was completed with no issues.

rapidex Jul 20, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by GiddyKipper638 (Post 31323636)
Since the introduction of CE on domestic routes, I have travelled predominantly from NCL/LBA to LHR and in the main, the crews have done a sterling job in delivering the CE service when time is clearly against them.

Over the last few months I have noticed a considerable decline in service. This is based predominantly on one thing - loads in the CE cabin. As a case in point, I flew on the LHR-NCL yesterday evening and we had 11 rows in the CE cabin on a 321. I was unfortunate enough to be located towards the rear of this cabin and by the time the crew got to me I had no choice in meal (it happens and no great shakes) but the meal was simply not fit for consumption (I am certainly not a fussy eater) and the cutlery was dirty with food still caked on my knife and fork. Drinks service followed a while later so literally had to down my drink in 5 minutes.

What struck me was the fact that the crew were clearly trying their best but ultimately it is wholly unfair on them as to adequately serve 11 rows of customers on such a short flight is next to impossible. I found myself getting stressed just observing them rushing around! They are being set up to fail and frustrating passengers in the process.

I fully understand and support the principle of introducing CE on domestic routes but I firmly believe that now is the time for BA to reconsider load factors versus a satisfactory level of service. 11 rows is simply not manageable and I for one take great exception to paying for this sub standard service. To that end, I will now simply not book this cabin and only accept if connecting onto an onward flight.

5 minutes for a drink. There are some on here that could manage 5 in that time:D

Oxon Flyer Jul 20, 2019 9:14 am

For those of us who haven't experienced this, could someone explain, particularly when viewed from the rear of a CE cabin, why it apparently takes the crew an inordinately long amount of time to pick a tray of cold food from a cart and give it to the passenger ? What are they doing, exactly ?

Dicksbits Jul 20, 2019 9:22 am

This post is the main reason why we won't bother paying the POUG of £59 to LBA in August. What's the point? We'll just sit near the back of the aircraft, ready to jump off at the rear as if we were in row 1.

PUCCI GALORE Jul 20, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Workie Ticket (Post 31323800)
How did everyone onboard used to get service back in the 70s/80s? Did they have more crew?

Yes they did. However with cabins that large, there’ll be two crew members. You do have to organised but when there’s a choice there’s always a discussion. Perhaps the clue here is to have no choice and out it would come. There never used to be a choice on such ridiculously short routes. It also stops the “I wanted the chicken and you’ve given me a salad.” Nonsense. Drinks always take longer as you have to find it, pour it, ask about ice. All very simple but it takes time.

What is is abundantly clear is that while so many here seem to have some sort of aversion to flying the cabin, it is very clear that this is not reflected in the loads.

Agent69 Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31323782)
Large loads in CE certainly don't help. We've had double-digit rows occasionally on JER/LGW, and 8 rows is quite normal .

I was in row 8 to JER last year. I think the first drink arrived just as the landing gear was going down

let_BAegones_be Jul 20, 2019 10:03 am

Please stop it

I would like to ask everybody

Please do not book domestic CE if you want an enjoyable, leisurely dining experience.

Domestic CE isn’t designed for that, and I get very surprised on people complaining about it.