Unable to open suitcase after BA flight

Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:29 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But really it's one for your insurers, if it's covered. One of the travel insurance industry many weasel clauses often excludes damage by security agents.
No, insurance is for where the errant party cannot be traced or cannot be made to pay. If everyone claims on insurance rather than the errant party funding the cost, then it increases premiums for everyone. In any case, my Amex Platinum insurance has a £50 excess and excludes "Damage to personal belongings whilst in the care of a transport provider which has not been reported within 48 hours and a report obtained".
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NFH
No, insurance is for where the errant party cannot be traced or cannot be made to pay. If everyone claims on insurance rather than the errant party funding the cost, then it increases premiums for everyone. In any case, my Amex Platinum insurance has a £50 excess and excludes "Damage to personal belongings whilst in the care of a transport provider which has not been reported within 48 hours and a report obtained".
In fact though insurers will attempt to recover what they have paid to you from the party that caused the damage. It simply saves you the argument if you claim from the insurance because they would do that for you (unless they for whatever reason decide not to bother recovering costs).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:18 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
I got legal advice from my usual consumer solicitors. They advised that BA had a potential defence under Article 18(2)(d) of the Montreal Convention, which states "However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent it proves that the destruction, or loss of, or damage to, the cargo resulted from one or more of the following: ... an act of public authority carried out in connection with the entry, exit or transit of the cargo". Although I could claim against LGW, it would be more difficult than claiming against an airline under the Montreal Convention.

I then realised that the suitcase was still under warranty with Samsonite. I e-mailed them and they sent me a new lock, which arrived today. I already have the required Torx T20 screwdriver for Samsonite products, so I fitted the new lock in around 5 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.