Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

And my worst BA flight of the year goes to.... BA9

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

For those keen readers unfamiliar with the flight number, it’s the LHR-BKK service that departs daily at 16:10.

I am in a very unfortunate position as this is the optimal flight to connect to HAN and arrive before dinner, yet very unfortunate as it uses oldest equipment BA has onboard.

its the 777-200 and it’s not pretty.

today’s flight, however, is worse than usual. I am in WTP (last time this year God willing) and I just can’t wait to get off.

it all started with my seat being shifted from a lovely 12K window bulkhead to middle portion of the plane.
it continued by my forgetting to eat in ccr and thus resolving to eat onboard.

My tray table is broken, IFE nonfunctional, there is no electricity plugs, and the meal service just finished, 3.5 hours into the flight. Sitting with my tray empty for an hour when the CC cheerfully asked whether I am finished With it to which I sarcastically replied that I have been for about an hour...

asked to see the csm regardinng tray table table and IFE. Csm didn’t come and sent another blue cravated member of the crew which added insult to the injury.

8 hours to go and I can’t wait to land and NEVER step on this plane or flight number again!!!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
At least the WiFi works.

Every cloud....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
In contrast, I had a great trip on BA9 at the end of June. Crew were superb and were pro-active topping up drinks and the club kitchen was always stocked. After reading horror stories on here, I was expecting a disaster but I found the journey rather enjoyable. Same experience for BA10 travelling back to LHR at the start of July. Maybe I'm easily pleased!
EGW1 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

G-YMMU is 11 years younger than the oldest B772ER.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If I weep gently for your suffering, would that help?

Seriously, not very good but not life-threatening either. Broken IFE is common, as are dysfunctional tray tables ... in every class on every route, surely?

Hope things brighten up when you get to HAN.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Crofton138
In contrast, I had a great trip on BA9 at the end of June. Crew were superb and were pro-active topping up drinks and the club kitchen was always stocked. After reading horror stories on here, I was expecting a disaster but I found the journey rather enjoyable. Same experience for BA10 travelling back to LHR at the start of July. Maybe I'm easily pleased!
Possibly, though presumably you didn’t have non functioning IFE, a broken tray table, a seat shift and slow service! These are all things that happen from time to time but it’s annoying when they all happen at once!
wrp96 and kosy91 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Possibly, though presumably you didn’t have non functioning IFE, a broken tray table, a seat shift and slow service! These are all things that happen from time to time but it’s annoying when they all happen at once!
indeed, and I can’t wait to be with my wife after three weeks again!

Next theee trips in August and September are all on cX in J and F though so should be a marked improvement on this...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhbloke
At least the WiFi works.

Every cloud....
indeed it does.

call bell doesn’t though...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I’ve had non functioning IFE on BAs latest A380s and 777-300s - when I know im on one of the older un refurbed planes I always load up my MacBook Pro with movies so I don’t notice the difference.

IFE / Service failures aren’t limited to the BA 9. The BA 9/10 have actually been some of my better flights in the last 12 months - fantastic service and a sparkling clean YMMB for the last one.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
.....Hope things brighten up when you get to HAN.
A meal in a not difficult to find excellent restaurant should do the trick.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chris9642
I’ve had non functioning IFE on BAs latest A380s and 777-300s - when I know im on one of the older un refurbed planes I always load up my MacBook Pro with movies so I don’t notice the difference.

IFE / Service failures aren’t limited to the BA 9. The BA 9/10 have actually been some of my better flights in the last 12 months - fantastic service and a sparkling clean YMMB for the last one.
I just have my work laptop with pityful battery life and no electricty plugs in Y/W.... otherwise of course it would have been the best option!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Way to jinx yourself... It's only July, there are plenty of bad flights still remaining this year! Your return leg, for starters!
kosy91, nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Prayers for Nufnuf...
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gig103
Way to jinx yourself... It's only July, there are plenty of bad flights still remaining this year! Your return leg, for starters!
coming back in F on CX via Yvr and Jfk
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Sorry for the ROFL but you buy WT+ on the BA9 then surprise surprise its rubbish. What did you expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.