No welcome on board, I知 surprise!

Old Jul 19, 19, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific (D+)
No welcome on board, I知 surprise!

Hello this is Winston from Hong Kong. My first time on the FlyerTalk! I recently move London from Hong Kong for my job (with my family). I am Diamond+ in CX for some year and before I also Diamond for many year.

Now I come to London, I switch to BA programme as it better for my needs. I read posts here and lot of very great advice! I hope to be BA Guest List member soon (at the moment, I travel to Middle East or South Africa every week in full-fare business or first class, at least until next February 2020). But my family stay here as it too much for them!

I flew now from New York to London on BA but as CX/D+ I did not get any welcome on board. I found this very surprise! Maybe I need to get used to it.

I now start from Bronze member as no status match is available - it will be strange but hopefully I move fast through the rank.

Thanks I hope to post frequent about my experience, I fly with family for weekend break to Scotland and other nearby place.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Welcome to FT at least

I hope your time on BA is pleasant enough, plenty of advice on here we値l help make it a better experience, I知 sure.

BA would probably be pretty rubbish, certainly for me, if it wasn稚 for the people who share on FT!

Safe travels.
orbitmic and tomparskate like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
I致e not got much to say here I知 afraid, except Welcome to FT!

I知 sure C-W-S will be along shortly to give you a proper welcome!

I hope you enjoy your upcoming flights!
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Winston_wong View Post
I flew now from New York to London on BA but as CX/D+ I did not get any welcome on board. I found this very surprise! Maybe I need to get used to it.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, and I really do hope we will hear more about your experiences as someone new to BA. Some of the best background can come from such travellers since regulars take a lot for granted. So welcome on board Winston_wong, at least this forum tries to be consistent.

On a night flight (presumably) from from New York your chances of a greeting from the Senior Cabin Crew Member is going to be limited, since there could easily be several Prems, several GGLs, perhaps as many as 20 Gold members, and a dozen or so other Emeralds, particularly from AA. Given the sleeping hours, and given that the BA SCCM has to do more front line work than the Cathay equivalent, this is almost the worst route to look for a greeting. And as you will see elsewhere, though some Emeralds like to get a greeting - and I am one of them - there are others in the forum who really want to be left alone. There is a "Gold Greeting" thread for you to see the range of experiences. A lot now comes down to not necessarily being specifically greeted, but having your name used when being served. If you do end up as GGL you may well be recognised when boarding too, as SCCM get familiar with very regular flyers.
tomparskate and :D! like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Welcome from me too!

BA and BAEC can be strange to the newcomer, but you'll get a lot of help here, and from the BA Dashboard >>> BA Forum Dashboard

It’s worth an hour of study ... a mass of information gathered from all of us here.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
As per CWS post above here is the greeting thread which may give some insight into the greeting or no greeting side of BA.

Gold member personal greeting
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! Yes I see the gold greeting thread and I’m very surprise that it is not a protocol on board! But I think you are right corporate wage, it was a night flight and likely to have lot of BA own top member on board.

Also, the seat handle was very loose and i thought with a slight push I could maybe dislodge it! I think seat has seen many better days.
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Welcome from me too!

BA and BAEC can be strange to the newcomer, but you'll get a lot of help here, and from the BA Dashboard >>>

It痴 worth an hour of study ... a mass of information gathered from all of us here.
Thank you T18191 this is very helpful for me. I shall spend much time reading it through so I become familiar with BA frequent flyer programme!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My experience as a Gold member travelling mostly in Club Europe is that it is rare to get a welcome but it does happen sometimes. On a flight to Arricefe recently the CSM sat down in the empty seat next to me during the flight to tell me much they valued my custom. In contrast I did 4 CX business class sectors and each time the ISM thanked me for joining them from BA. Just did 4 short hauls on Finnair and got one personal welcome as a OW Emerald
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Funny enough as a BA gold I was never greeted on a BA flight but on a recent AY trip, I was greeted and offered a glass of champagne or an extra pillow in Y even on a short HEL-LHR flight, thought that was very generous and a pleasant surprise. Your experience might (or should) be different once you've got to GGL
Old Jul 19, 19, 6:32 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Welcome!

Are you crediting your CX Diamond account, or your new BAEC account? If the former, how would BA know you were CX Diamond?
Bullswood, :D!, watersign and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Welcome to the UK.
Service standards for all services vary in the UK, and are unpredictably erratic!
In all my work and holiday visits to HKG, (and elsewhere in Asia), my experiences were that things normally work better in Aisa, but when they go wrong, they can go seriously wrong!
Do enjoy your time in the UK.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello itsmeitiss, for that flight I credit my CX account, I assume BA would know through the on-board systems that purser have? It is like so in JAL when I fly - they knew I am D+. But now I think it just show Emerald, maybe that the case with BA.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:02 am

I'd like to add my welcome to FT, Winston.

In multiple years as BA Gold/OWE I have never had a Gold greeting onboard a BA flight. They are quite consistent on QR, Finnair and 50/50 on AA. The greeting on Japan Airlines was so warm and sincere I thought it may end in marriage!

But no, nada on British Airways where my Emerald account calls home.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
I'd like to add my welcome to FT, Winston.

In multiple years as BA Gold/OWE I have never had a Gold greeting onboard a BA flight. They are quite consistent on QR, Finnair and 50/50 on AA. The greeting on Japan Airlines was so warm and sincere I thought it may end in marriage!

But no, nada on British Airways where my Emerald account calls home.

As you say various other OW carriers take a different approach where Emeralds are concerned. But it痴 just not the British way ..... talking to strangers and all that

In an average year I often spend more time on the London Underground than on BA ..... but I never get a special welcome there either.

Search this Thread