Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No welcome on board, I’m surprise!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I couldn’t care two hoots about a special Greeting. As long as the crew’ pleasant and the Champagne’s cold, who cares?
Cris L, T8191, Padmeister and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I couldn’t care two hoots about a special Greeting. As long as the crew’ pleasant and the Champagne’s cold, who cares?
I am the same I couldn't care less.... sometimes I get one sometimes I don't; but it does not bother me either way. I expect to be greeted by friends and family who I know and nobody else matters.
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

As you say various other OW carriers take a different approach where Emeralds are concerned. But it’s just not the British way ..... talking to strangers and all that

Then I would say they are in the wrong job, after all meeting strangers is the foundation of their role.

In an average year I often spend more time on the London Underground than on BA ..... but I never get a special welcome there either.

TFL has a loyalty program?
Bolding mine.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
TfL does not have a loyalty programme, otherwise I would be TfL GGLfL

About 10 years of 3h round trips on the Metropolitan line should qualify.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ T8191 and worldtrav : not widely known, true ...... but there is indeed a TFL ‘loyalty programme’ ; or - as it’s more commonly described - a monopoly. Hence little need for any significant marketing / promotional activity.

T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
The OP
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: QF WP
All but one of my recent BA flights (n=4 so not a huge number, granted). No one has even checked my boarding pass at the door

i have put this down to me being a confused Australian. However it does rather limit the opportunities for greeting as that is where it often takes place on QF (with a subsequent follow up treat once seated- usually not an exciting one)
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BPs tend to be checked on l/h, but not on s/h.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Nor I, however the thread isn't about wether we care or not, it's about the presence or lack thereof.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Nor I, however the thread isn't about wether we care or not, it's about the presence or lack thereof.
Having checked Post #1 again, you are of course correct.

However, I think it’s a well-established fact that greetings are at best very variable. Whether that’s carelessness, idleness or CC workload is a separate set of questions.

PS: I’m with PUCCI on this one. There are far more important things in my life than an iPad-prompted greeting.
Padmeister and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I think it's more an issue for those of us who spend some of our time in parts of the aircraft where champagne does not flow. Senior crew members on every other OW carrier that I've travelled on (except LA) routinely seek out OWEs and greet them personally. Given that it's a gesture that doesn't cost a penny, you'd think that BA might have been keen. I don't mind particularly myself, but it is slightly off-putting when you're in a bulkhead seat and they greet the BA Gold members to your left and right, and ignore you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I think it's more an issue for those of us who spend some of our time in parts of the aircraft where champagne does not flow. Senior crew members on every other OW carrier that I've travelled on (except LA) routinely seek out OWEs and greet them personally. Given that it's a gesture that doesn't cost a penny, you'd think that BA might have been keen. I don't mind particularly myself, but it is slightly off-putting when you're in a bulkhead seat and they greet the BA Gold members to your left and right, and ignore you.
Maybe they feel sorry for you being up the back and just leave you alone. As I said, I think that I’ve been greeted twice as a Gold and I really couldn’t care less whether they do or not. I’d rather that they’d get on with the service than kowtowing to Golds scattered around the aircraft. It’s all so false and phoney. They couldn’t care less and neither could anyone else. After 30 flights on AA, I’ve not heard one FA come and greet Elites. Grief help the time they can’t be bothered to do PreDeparture Beverages.
HIDDY, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Maybe that is the answer, they don’t as they’ve realised that no one cares less. It may be gone. The only ones who might care are those seated in the middle of a row hoping for more than their purchased ticket entitled them to expect. Meanwhile there are lots of rows of Club that need serving. I can quite see that they don’t have the time and in all likelihood the inclination.

HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

Maybe they feel sorry for you being up the back and just leave you alone. As I said, I think that I’ve been greeted twice as a Gold and I really couldn’t care less whether they do or not. I’d rather that they’d get on with the service than kowtowing to Golds scattered around the aircraft. It’s all so false and phoney. They couldn’t care less and neither could anyone else. After 30 flights on AA, I’ve not heard one FA come and greet Elites. Grief help the time they can’t be bothered to do PreDeparture Beverages.
I have no experience with being a non-AA OWE on AA flights, nor with being a crew member who has to dash across the aircraft and be nice to people they don't care about. I would say that, when the flight has been long and not very full, I've had examples of personal attention that I really did appreciate (such as the Lufthansa economy purser who came to introduce herself to me as *A Gold, and insisted on moving me to an unoccupied row of four seats and then addressed me by name throughout the flight). I agree that the gesture makes more sense on AY, where they are actually authorised and encouraged to bring me a glass of champagne when I'm sitting behind the curtain. However, I don't see the point in seeking out elite members when I'm seated in front of the curtain — I'm old fashioned enough to think that they've paid enough to be entitled to personal service regardless of status.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.