Wiki Posts
Search

No Online Check in available?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
No Online Check in available?

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Trying to check in for my BRU-LHR-JNB tomorrow and I got this message: Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight on this occasion.

To check in and receive your boarding pass, please proceed to the airport.

what does that mean?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
thanks. Checked all scenarios and it is either I am SSSS or have been upgraded (class B Economy). i guess it is SSSS.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just BA’s sporadically woeful IT. If you try again later it might well work.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There isn’t any SSSS to JNB, just to the US.

as long as you have a ticket number I wouldn’t worry about it. Happens from time to time and probably just wanting a passport swipe at check in.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6948

thanks. Checked all scenarios and it is either I am SSSS or have been upgraded (class B Economy). i guess it is SSSS.
No, as I think it is mentioned in the main thread, with SSSS you can check in, and get check-in status, but what you won't get is a boarding pass. Moreover SSSS is purely to the United States. South Africa, however, is one of a few countries were pre-checks are done on arriving passengers, and occasionally that doesn't match on your API too well.

That said, I happen to know that the JNB flights tomorrow are oversold, particularly the earlier service on the A380. It's possible that refreshing your App will show a new seat number, but more likely they will have to sort a few things out at Heathrow for you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, as I think it is mentioned in the main thread, with SSSS you can check in, and get check-in status, but what you won't get is a boarding pass. Moreover SSSS is purely to the United States. South Africa, however, is one of a few countries were pre-checks are done on arriving passengers, and occasionally that doesn't match on your API too well.

That said, I happen to know that the JNB flights tomorrow are oversold, particularly the earlier service on the A380. It's possible that refreshing your App will show a new seat number, but more likely they will have to sort a few things out at Heathrow for you.
I am on the A380 tomorrow. I am not worried. Secured my upper deck window seat. I called BA this week to try to upgrade with cash as it is B class but they said not possible as it is a corporate TA booking. Told them AF lets me manage my booking even if it is a TA ticket. They were apologetic. May be a good surprise tomorrow?!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can upgrade Corporates on BA either via UUA, cash at T-24, POUG at T-24 (though not with the BRU leg on the booking) or AUP on the day. But you are probably best to invest in EF since that may have steered you away from trying to do this.....
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, as I think it is mentioned in the main thread, with SSSS you can check in, and get check-in status, but what you won't get is a boarding pass.
Slight sidetrack, but is this a BA thing?
I just flew AMS -SFO on KLM and when I OLCI'd I printed my BP and it came up SSSS. This conveniently allowed me to know to leave the lounge and get to the gate a little earlier (though in the event, the extra security only took 10 minutes, 5 minutes waiting time included.)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
SSSS is a US TSA 'thing' that airlines have to implement on up to 20% of passengers on flights to the US.

different airlines do it in different ways. Earlier this year I flew on TAP and was selected for SSSS but nothing on the BP nor was I prevented me from checkining in. The agents had a manual list they checked before letting people through to the gate. Left for the screening right for on your way!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Slight sidetrack, but is this a BA thing?
I just flew AMS -SFO on KLM and when I OLCI'd I printed my BP and it came up SSSS. This conveniently allowed me to know to leave the lounge and get to the gate a little earlier (though in the event, the extra security only took 10 minutes, 5 minutes waiting time included.)
i think the process for ba is slightly different, but you still know you have it sat in the lounge before the flight and still be able to go to the gate early if that's what you wanted to do.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Be prepared to not be able to OLCI on the return flight from JNB as well. I've never been able to, and my last return a few weeks ago it was a bit tight as I was sat on the train checking my watch. Made it with 5 minutes to spare. So build in the fact you will have to go to a desk to check-in to your travel time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.