Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood of seats together in Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Likelihood of seats together in Club World

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help - we are due to fly LAX-LHR on 12th Aug and have realised that we haven’t booked seats yet for our flight.

We are are resigned to the fact that we will be sitting in the middle section as all the window seats/seats next to them are taken, but I am reluctant to spend Ł100/each on selecting our seats in CW!

So - my question is - how likely will it be that my husband and I will get to sit together?

Thanks in advance

Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to predict this. Presuming that the CW cabin books full, whether there are seats together depends entirely on the makeup of other passengers and how they select.

Suffice it to say that you are traveling during high season with the economy on screech. If sitting together matters, pay the fee and do not wait as the pickings only become slimmer. If it does not, then let it ride and take what is left.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The middle seats are the least popular among single travellers so don’t despair of two together. Make sure you check in the minute OLCI opens 24 hours before to maximise your chances.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

And a Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum TeeABZ!

Agree with the first two replies.

Regards

TBS
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
And... I'm guessing you might be connecting through LON from ABZ. If so, you'll get a little head start for seat selection on those beginning their journeys in the Capital. You should be able to choose seats for the longhaul section 24hrs before your first leg flight is due to leave Aberdeen.

We've always been quite lucky at snagging a pair together this way, before we got our silver cards.
argonath likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
And... I'm guessing you might be connecting through LON from ABZ. If so, you'll get a little head start for seat selection on those beginning their journeys in the Capital. You should be able to choose seats for the longhaul section 24hrs before your first leg flight is due to leave Aberdeen.

We've always been quite lucky at snagging a pair together this way, before we got our silver cards.
I like your thinking but the OP is heading east not west from the UK.

May I also welcome you TeeABZ. I suspect FoxtrotOscar is correct in that in all probability you'll be ok with two middle seats being available. Please feel free to post an update and let us know how you got on.
BAEC likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wouldn't pay for middle seat assignments, and I can't imagine too many others feel the same way. So I'd check in right at T-24hr and see what is out there. Also, note that if the cabin is full there's even a chance some aisles or windows open up from "theoretical seating" (elites getting blocked seats next to them when possible), but that wouldn't solve "seated together", just "seated more comfortably".
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not wanting to gatecrash this thread, but I have a related question. In August we are flying the same route as the OP in CW with another family, on a separate booking, with children but without status. We have secured two middle seats plus an aisle seat. For the other family (children aged 4 and 8) I presume that BA will guarantee each child is next to a parent. Is this likely to be four seats across the middle?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Not wanting to gatecrash this thread, but I have a related question. In August we are flying the same route as the OP in CW with another family, on a separate booking, with children but without status. We have secured two middle seats plus an aisle seat. For the other family (children aged 4 and 8) I presume that BA will guarantee each child is next to a parent. Is this likely to be four seats across the middle?
The aisle seats in the middle sections are popular so most likely would be two middle pairs. As this seating is on,y allocated around three days before, the families are slotted in around what’s left.. Remember though that NEXT TO means not separated by another person, so seats in front / behind each other may also be allocated to meet the requirement not to separate a child from a parent.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu

The aisle seats in the middle sections are popular so most likely would be two middle pairs. As this seating is on,y allocated around three days before, the families are slotted in around what’s left.. Remember though that NEXT TO means not separated by another person, so seats in front / behind each other may also be allocated to meet the requirement not to separate a child from a parent.
So a child could be put in the row behind in Club World and that would be 'sat together'? How exactly are we supposed to reach them in an emergency?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by jp-mco
So a child could be put in the row behind in Club World and that would be 'sat together'? How exactly are we supposed to reach them in an emergency?
Yes BA will sit children under 12 next to an adult, but their definition of "next to" is very broad and includes across the aisle from each other and also one behind the other.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The middle pair is good for couples, less good if you are married ,to deploy an old joke, and should be available 24 hours before departure, so I wouldn't pay at this stage. There is a computer module called Theoretical Seating which will be trying to keep you together anyway. On the basis you may not know about this, by all means check in online at the first stage, get checked in status. But don't print, download or App your boarding pass unless you are totally happy with the seats - by all means check in this forum after the first stage since there is always some experienced traveller online in this forum. The reason being is two fold: you can change your seats easily so long as you don't have a boarding pass, and secondly about a third of seats handled by Theoretical Seating change status in the first 60 minutes of the main OLCI opening time. So even leaving it 20 minutes could give you a lot of extra options.
Thysk and SK like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Yes this would meet the requirement of sat together. Note that this would be probably the last option for BA, but it would meet their obligation.

I guess you’d have to reach for them for the evacuation, but at least they would be completely adjacent to you.

i find passengers on board will generally move to try and accommodate passengers sat in such an arrangement if asked to, particularly for the 4 year old.

it would be good if BA blocked seats in J for family allocation, but they only do this around the bassinets.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
I believe you could also use Avios to reserve said seats, if you have any available. But not sure it's worth parting with any for said middle seats.

Personally I'd just be as proactive as possible, setting an alarm so you'll be in your booking at the precise moment free seating becomes available (T-24), having an idea of what you'd like in order of preference, then assigning as quickly as possible.

A pair of middle seats isn't that bad as a couple anyway IMO, but, true enough, it's still not guaranteed without a confirmed seat assignment.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
And get what seats that are as close to your preference as possible at OLCI. Don't rely on good favour from other passengers being willing to swap seats onboard the aircraft - they will have used either status to bag their favourite seat, or have been willing to pay the seat selection fee.
GaxxyFlyer, redrose59 and SK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.