Likelihood of seats together in Club World

Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jp-mco
So a child could be put in the row behind in Club World and that would be 'sat together'? How exactly are we supposed to reach them in an emergency?
The only bit in this statement is why parents are surprised by this when it is clear in the booking process there is a fee to guarantee sitting together.
It's always BA to blame for placing the parents in the situation of wondering how they 'reach their children in an emergency'.
kingstontoon and anniegray like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've just been through a very similar (although slightly more complicated) process with a redemption flight and was also reluctant to pay the seat selection fees. It's all good advice above and largely what we did. BA will try and seat you together anyway, and not deliberately split you up to make you pay for seats together. Also bear in mind that those with Bronze status will get seat selection 7 days out; there's not a lot you can do about that, but at 6 days out check what's available and there's a good chance (but no guarantees) they will stay available. Do your research in advance, and draw up a list with your husband of preferred seats, and some reserves in case you miss out. This is much less stressful than trying to figure out which of the available seats you want at OLCI, and then watching them get booked by someone else. Set yourself a reminder and make sure you can login to the BA app or website a few minutes in advance of T-24h and enjoy watching the countdown to check in opening!

I don't think any of the LAX flights are A380 operated, but if I've got that wrong and they are, bear in mind the upper deck CW is 3 across in the middle with the centre seat facing the opposite way to the two aisle seats. These are in line and OK to talk to your partner, but not quite as cosy for a couple as the 2 in the middle of the 4 across section on other aircraft.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Because the BA website will only show you the seats that are currently available for you with your status, it's worth having a look at the seat map on Expert Flyer (download the app and you are able to do this for free) as it will show you what seats are actually booked, and which are simply blocked. If most are showing as booked, you may think it's worth paying the reservation fee - if there are plenty that are just blocked then hold on until check in opens (although there are no guarantees that blocked seats will open up if it's not a busy flight).
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
The only bit in this statement is why parents are surprised by this when it is clear in the booking process there is a fee to guarantee sitting together.
It's always BA to blame for placing the parents in the situation of wondering how they 'reach their children in an emergency'.
I think when it comes down to safety (which is entirely the point I was making) nobody should have to pay anymore more than anybody else. We all accept that children are more vulnerable than adults it's just a shame BA's seating policy doesn't recognise this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I think when it comes down to safety (which is entirely the point I was making) nobody should have to pay anymore more than anybody else. We all accept that children are more vulnerable than adults it's just a shame BA's seating policy doesn't recognise this.
The policy adheres to that set by the CAA sadly. I agree its not good enough, but for it to change at BA, and other airlines, it would need to come from the CAA.I think recently the CAA have at least firmed up their requirements from SHOULD to MUST be sat adjacent to an adult following a few high profile media cases.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gcuk
BA actually states that it will put a child next to an accompanying adult and that there is no fee to do so . From https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

Originally Posted by BA
We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking but children over 12 years are booked as an adult in our system and may sit separately.
This does not mean that everyone in the booking will be guaranteed to be sat together. At GBP100 I would just take whatever is available at checkin time
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA actually states that it will put a child next to an accompanying adult and that there is no fee to do so . From https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat
As long as 'next to' is not the next row that would be acceptable. A seat on a different row could be 6ft away in Club World - how would I be expected to a) monitor my child's behaviour and b) help them in an emergency if I'm that far away! Parents shouldn't have to pay Ł100 extra per seat, per flight to ensure this happens. BA are very good at ensuring this happens when an infant is on the booking but a child that's 2 years and 1 day old is not ready to sit on their own.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As long as 'next to' is not the next row that would be acceptable. A seat on a different row could be 6ft away - how would I be expected to a) monitor my child's behaviour and b) help them in an emergency if I'm that far away! Parents shouldn't have to pay Ł100 extra per seat, per flight to ensure this happens. BA are very good at ensuring this happens when an infant is on the booking but a child that's 2 years and 1 day old is not ready to sit on their own.
In 99%* of cases, "next to" means the next seat along, same row, same block. Very, very occasionally it could be two seats separated by the aisle, but from observation that doesn't happen often, and if it does it would be for older children.

* another CWS invented statistic but it's probably understated.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Coming back from JNB at Easter, our family of 4 were allocated line astern in WTP in aisle seats in the centre block. Myself, wife, and kids aged 9 and 7. After asking at the checkin desk, we were shuffled around to have each parent next to a child (though not all together).

signol
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
We’ve done 5 CW redemption sectors with no status, only once were we not allocated seats together although the seats were behind one another.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In 99%* of cases, "next to" means the next seat along, same row, same block. Very, very occasionally it could be two seats separated by the aisle, but from observation that doesn't happen often, and if it does it would be for older children.

I, as a single traveler, have been moved several times either across an aisle or a row in front/back to accommodate this, I don’t have an issue with this if it makes it easier to keep families together.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

So what you're saying is "60% of the time it works every time"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.